Status: slowly active

How I Met Your Mother.

Chapter 3

Soft hums echoed to a catchy tune as Haven kicked her tiny feet back and forth, while coloring an assignment for her homework. Ichabod perched at her side watching curiously at what she was doing. I smiled to myself at my smart daughter as she turned her head to me, “Look, daddy. I finished!”

I leaned forward, grabbing the worksheet noticing how Haven colored outside the lines. I chuckled, “I love it, cutie pie. You got any more homework?”

Her green eyes shifted around, “Noooo.”

I gave her a knowing look, “Haven.”

“Okay, I do,” she frowned. I laughed at her expression, “Why don’t you get your homework and I’ll help you out, kiddo. How about that?” I reasoned and Haven lit up, “Okay!”

She hopped onto her feet, running over to me and wrapping her small limbs around my neck, “I love you, daddy.”

My heart soared, “I love you too, baby girl.” I kissed her forehead and patted her butt to go get her homework from her backpack.

“Ayo Bakers!”

A familiar voice rang through the house. I laughed and shook my head, “In here, Gates.”

Footsteps came walking through the hallways with the sound of the front door shutting. “Hey, it’s my favorite people!” Brian exclaimed loudly with a half smirk on his lips.

“Uncle Syn!”Haven yelled running towards him with open arms. “Haven!” He said back to her as she collided into his tattooed arms. Brian lifts her up and Haven squealed, “How’s my favorite niece doing?”

He kissed her chubby cheek and she answered, showing off her missing front teeth, “Uncle Bri, I’m your only niece.”

I chuckled at her smart remark, knowing she got that from her mother’s side of the family. Brian looked astonished at her response, “Well, I know that misses smarty pants,” he started blowing kisses on her neck. Haven got sent into fits of laughter as I crossed my arms, leaning against the wall just watching my best friend and daughter interact. I pushed myself off the wall and began walking towards them, “Alright Haven, that’s enough. It’s time to go finish your homework.”

“Awe, but I don’t want too,” she pouted.

“Yeah Zack, she doesn't want too,” Brian said mimicking her expression.

“Haven, what did I say?” I replied using my reserved tone just for her. “Fine. Sorry Uncle Bri, I got to finish my stinky homework,” she said with a roll of her eyes. Even for a five year old, she’s too smart for her own good at times.

“Awe okay, but first, how about some sugar?” he smirked tapping his finger against his cheek. Haven giggled and gave the guitarist a huge smooch on the cheek. Brian placed the toddler down and Haven bounded away as I ruffled her hair. “So, what you got to eat up in this bitch?” he asked intruding into the kitchen and looking through the fridge.

I followed in tow and leaned against the island, “Why are you always coming over to my house and eating up my shit,” I said, shaking my head. Brian rummaged through the fridge, pulling out a pot of leftover food and placing it on the counter, “Because, you’re my best friend,” he said in an obvious tone.

“And I always ask myself why,” I sighed, shaking my head.

“Man, fuck you,” he retorted obviously hurt by my comment and I burst out laughing. “Grilled chicken, score!” he rose his arms above his head.

“Amanda taught me how to cook that,” I chortled remembering that day. She was teaching me how to cook, “No wonder why, this recipe looks so familiar,” he replied taking two pieces of chicken and putting it on a plate, walking over to the microwave and popping the food in. Brian placed the right amount of numbers into the device and walked over to me, taking a seat on the stool. We sat in silence and fiddling with our fingers until I turned my head to him, “So, what brings you by, bro?”

Syn made a noise in the back of his throat, “What I can’t randomly visit?”

“Oh no, you can. But, you usually call before you come over. So, what is it, Bri?”

His face changed and rubbed the back of his ruffled hair, “Well, Nic and I were out today on the pier. When, Nichole happened to run into an old friend of hers…”

I knew where this was going. So, I stopped him, “Syn, don’t.”

“Don’t what, Zack?”

“You know what, Brian. It’s the same old shit, I’m not ready to date and I don’t think I’ll ever be. Plus, I have Haven to take care of and not my own needs.”

Brian gave me a stern look, “I know Zack and you’re doing an amazing job taking care of Haven. But, don’t you ever want to take care of your own happiness. I know Amanda would have wanted that.”

He struck a nerve but I knew it was true. Sometimes, I do wonder how it would be if there was a mother figure around. I know it definitely would be easier especially since I don’t have my Amanda around anymore.

"I tried dating. Remember Gena? The girl you guys almost tried to run off," I exclaimed rolling my eyes. I didn't get it. They wanted me to try dating but when I do. They hate her guts.

Brian scrunched his face, "Gena?! That woman was awful. God awful....I mean the worst!"

"Okay Brian, I get it!" I replied with a long at his exaggeration. "Good, plus that woman was only nice to you and turned out to be the devil incarnated. When, you weren't around."

I rolled my eyes again, "She wasn't that bad," I grumbled under my breath.

"Yeah, she was. Plus, of course you would say that. She was a babe. You were always a sucker for good looks," Syn pointed out. I nodded in agreement. Brian looked at me again, "So, what do you say? Will you consider this double date or at least think about it? Because, I know Amanda would want you too."

“You’re right and I know you guys are just looking out for my best interest. I’ll take it into consideration,” I said softly with a smile.

Brian pat my back and replied, “And we’ll be here to support you every step of the way.” With that being said, Syn got up and walked over to get his food that finished in the microwave. While, I was left to reflect on my thoughts knowing that Amanda promised me on her last breath that she wanted me to be happy and I’m sure as hell going to keep that promise. But, I’m just afraid of falling in love again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'M BAAAAAACK! Did you guys miss me? lol I'm sure as hell missed you lovely people. Sorry, I've been lagging on my updates. But, that won't happen anymore. I promise, lol. So, anyways...What did you guys think about Mr. Vengeance dating again? Will it go well or down in the dumps who knows....Only I do, lol.

Comments, Subscribers, Readers..anything, I'd appreciate it! lol Once again, thank you people for bearing with me and my lagging updates. Keep a look out soon for upcoming updates on my other stories. :)