Status: slowly active

How I Met Your Mother.

Chapter 4

Beep….beep….beep…beep.

The heart monitor echoed in the room. My eyes glued to the pale body lying in the hospital bed, chest heaving up and down. I heard a sniffle next to me as I turned my head to see Val with tears streaming down her oval face. Her head rested on Matt’s shoulder as Valary continued weeping. Matt’s sunglasses covered face stared at the hospital bed. I have no idea what emotions were hid behind those glasses. Matt was too tough to show feelings. Unless, it was someone he cared about and in this case, he did not want to show weakness among us. I don’t blame him. But, who am I kidding here? I’m sitting in a place where I dreaded to be, watching the person I love slowly slip away from me.

“Why does everybody look so sad? Who’s dying?”

A croaked voice joked as my eyes lit up to see Amanda smiling faintly at us, “Don’t joke about that,” I quipped as my red eyes stared into sickly ones. “Well, someone has too. You know I hate hospitals.”

“Now, that’s the Amanda. I know, come here,” Jimmy beamed, carefully wrapping his lanky, tattooed arms around the dainty woman. “Okay Jimbo, your time is up. It’s time for her to hug her favorite person,” Brian smirked as Jimmy jutted out his lip, “Fine.”

The drummer kissed my wife on her forehead, whispering words into her ear which made her tear up and hug him tightly. Everybody got their rounds in, until it came to me, “We’ll give you guys some time alone. We’ll be outside,” Matt spoke as him, Val, and Amanda separated. The guys left the room, leaving the woman of my dreams and myself together. Amanda looked at me and I stared back at her. Her fatigue figure scooted over on the bed. I smiled softly at the gesture, taking off my shoes and got into the bed. I lay on my side, staring at the beautiful woman beside me. Her slender fingers ran through my unruly hair and came back to caress my face. I grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it, my eyes never leaving her flawless face. We laid in silence until I spoke, “ Why didn't you ever tell me, you were sick?

“Because, I didn't want a constant reminder that I would not ever have a fully healthy life and I could die any time soon.”

“But, if you would have told me. I could have done something!” I reasoned, leaning up in the bed.

Amanda looked dead at me, “How Zachary? Did you want me to go like, “Hi, I’m Amanda and I have sickle cell disease. Would you like to date me?”

I grunted and kicked myself off the bed. I sat on the edge and ran my fingers through my matted hair, “You know what I mean, Manda. I just can’t lose you,” I said lowly, my head hanging. Tears slowly slid down my face as the bed dipped and a gentle hand was placed upon my shoulder. I looked back to see Amanda’s tearful face, “I know.” And she engulfed me into a hug with all her strength. Even though, her body was weak. “I love you, Amanda Baker.”

“I love you more, Zachary Baker.” Our lips pressed against each other for a gentle kiss. Until, there was a knock at the door. We parted our lips and glanced at the door to see Amanda’s doctor, Mr. Stanley Beesley. “Hello, Amanda and Zachary. How are you feeling today, Manda?” he asked politely, closing the door behind him.

“Tired and weak, but better than the last couple of weeks,” she answered truthfully with a sad smile. I held her hand, admiring how brave she was. I am still amazed at how lucky I am to have a woman like this in my life.

Mister Beesley nodded his head and took off his glasses, looking directly at us, “That’s exactly to hear. But unfortunately, I’m afraid I have good news and bad news, Amanda.”

My heart sank and I squeezed the love of my life’s hand as she spoke, “There’s nothing worse than being told that I have sickle cell disease and my life will be cut short. So, there is honestly nothing that can be worst. I’ll go with the good news first, doc.”

My free hand rubbed Amanda’s thigh. The doctor looked over his chart and spoke, “After, the nurses and I examined your blood work and test. We wanted to happily confirm that you are six weeks pregnant.”

“What!” Amanda and I exclaimed, “But how? Wait, I know how. But, the doctors told her that she couldn't have kids,” I replied, shaking my head in disbelief.

“Well, it seems to me that we have a miracle on our hands,” he said softly. When, Amanda looked at me, “Do you hear that, babe? We’re having a baby.”

She cried placing a hand on her non-existing stomach. My heart soared as I kissed her temple, placing a hand over hers, “We’re going to be parents and you’re going to be an excellent mother.”

Amanda looked up into my blurry green orbs. When, the doctor spoke up, “But, even with good news. There’s bad news, going through with the pregnancy will cause risky complications for you and the baby. Are you sure you want to go with that?”

Without taking her eyes off me, Amanda replied, “Doc, I am hundred percent sure about this and willing to take that risk. Even if, I don’t survive this procedure and the baby does. I know I’ll be leaving this place, knowing that our baby will love by an amazing father and crazy aunts/uncles. That is all I’m going to say.”

I embraced Amanda in a loving kiss, ignoring the entire world. Doctor Beesley knew Amanda was not going to protest. He smiled and left us in the room. Our kiss parted as I placed my head on her tummy, “Hey, little guy. I’m your daddy.”

“Hey!” Amanda huffed, “What makes you think it’s going to be a boy? I’m pretty sure this runt is going to be a bouncing baby girl.”

“Boy or girl, I’ll love our baby no matter what,” I said kissing her soft lips. When, the room door opened. Nichole’s head popped in, “So, what’s the news?”

Amanda looked at me and I nodded for the go-ahead, “I’m pregnant!” she exclaimed.

Nichole and Val exclaimed, running into the room crying and hugging the woman as I stood off to the side, watching them. The guys giving us congratulations, Jimmy stood beside me and spoke, “She’s not going to survive this pregnancy isn't she?”

“No.” was my simple response.

We stood quietly as we watched my wife and friends laugh. Amanda looking our direction, smiling lovingly at me, “I’m going to miss her.”

I turned my head to look at my dear best friend whose crystal blue eyes were misty. I sighed and replied, “Me too.”

Jimmy placed a hand on my shoulder and gently squeezing it. Before, leaving me to join the others, I took in a deep breath and masked on a smile as sat down next to Amanda who grabbed my hand, squeezing on it. When, she went back to talking to The Berry’s. I began to stop thinking about the negative and starting enjoying the small moments like these, because even though, I’m going to miss her. We created a miracle child and that is a risk, we wanted to take.
♠ ♠ ♠
:(

Not gonna lie, I teared up writing this but it had to be done. As you can see, I'm doing more frequent updates with this story. However, I shall be updating the other ones and got a couple of new ones up my sleeve. So, keep on a look out.

Comments, constructive criticism, subscribers, and readers are always welcomed. Thanks, Shanice.