Status: Alive and writing.

Long Live Us

Caitlin.

Alex’s POV.

I sighed as I climbed into my car. I wanted to stay there and talk to her longer but I knew I couldn’t, I had to pick Caitlin up from school. I parked at the side of the road and walked over to the gates, seeing my little girl stood there with her hands on her hips, a teacher stood beside her.

“I’m so sorry I’m a little late, I had some errands to run.” I lied and the teacher simply gave me a soft smile before wrapping her arm around my five year old daughter.

“It’s okay, we’ve had a good little talk haven’t we sweetie?” She asked and Caitlin nodded softly at the teacher with a smile before looking at me with a cold glare. Yup, she was definitely my daughter. I nodded at the teacher softly with a thankful smile and she nodded back. I then placed my arm out to the toddler who placed her hand in mine hesitantly. I sighed softly to myself before placing Caitlin into her car seat and buckling her up. Once I was done I got in myself and started driving.

“How was your day at school?” I asked politely and she simply ignored me, her head facing towards the window. “Cate, you need to talk to me I’m your father.” I stated and she simply turned towards me, her face holding a sad expression.

“I miss Mommy.” She said and with that she turned back to look out of the window. I sighed softly, feeling the tears appear in the corner of my eyes.

“I know baby, but I can’t bring her back..” I said and she sighed as tears started falling down her cheeks. A few months ago Caitlin’s mother and my ex girlfriend Lisa had died in a car accident while Caitlin was at school. The day after was the first time I’d even heard about having a child. I refused to have her at first, saying it would screw up my life but then I realised I was being a child and did my best to get her. The services must have said something to her because she hasn’t talked to me at all since, only the odd sentence. Once we got home Caitlin had fallen asleep so I climbed out of the car and opened her door, unbuckling her seatbelt and picking her up and placing her on my hip, her head resting on my shoulder. I closed the door and locked the car before walking up to the house and after opening the door, I walked inside trying to make as little noise as possible. I took Caitlin upstairs and placed her in her bed softly. If this was the only bit of sleep she had I was going to make the most of it. I walked over to the arm chair in the corner of the room and instantly fell back into it, my eyes closing almost instantly as sleep took over my body.

“Ale-.. Daddy? why are you asleep in here?” I heard Caitlin whisper over to me and I shot awake instantly, my heart fluttering as she called me dad for the first time.

“Just wanted to make sure you didn’t have another nightmare honey.” I muttered groggily and she nodded her head softly as she carefully got out of the bed, making her way up me hesitantly. She walked all the way over to me before climbing on the armchair and sitting on my knee. She buried her head in my shoulder and I sighed softly as I stroked her hair. This was the first time she’d ever done this, so I wasn’t taking it for granted. Only moments later I heard soft snoring coming from the little girl in my arms. I continued stroking her hair as I thoughts about the events of earlier on today. Bella was something else.. She was the only person to genuinely make me smile in months, years maybe and I was glad about that. It was nice to find someone that could make me smile again. After sitting there for around an hour with Caitlyn asleep on my shoulder I heard the door bang as someone entered. Soon enough, Jack came through Caitlin’s door quietly and smiled at the sight before him. I smiled back softly and picked up Caitlin, placing her back down in her bed and covering her up with the blankets, shoving her elephant teddy into the covers with her which she happily started to cuddle. I walked out of the room behind Jack and shut the door silently. As we walked down the stairs he stopped, spun me around and gave me a giant man hug.

“How’s everything going bro? anything new?” He asked and I sighed softly whilst shrugging.

“I don’t know, she only talks to me every so often and got pissed off at me earlier. With good reason though, I was twenty minutes late for picking her up.” I stated and Jack chuckled under his breath.

“She’s definitely yours and Lisa’s child.” He stated and I nodded my head at the obvious statement. We walked the rest of the way down the stairs and sat down on the sofa. “So how’s your day been?” He asked and I smiled softly to myself as I remembered my time in the coffee shop. “I know that look.. You met a chick!” He exclaimed in a hushed tone so he didn’t wake Caitlin and I chuckled softly before rolling my eyes.

“You always assume things, Jack. I simply met a girl that works in the coffee shop and we talked for a while. No biggie.” I stated and he just gave me a dumbfounded expression.

“You’ve met a girl that’s finally made you happy after all the Lisa shit, and you still think you ‘just met a girl’?” He asked and I shrugged, looking down at my hands that were in my lap. “You’re crazy dude, you need to chase after her.” He stated and I sighed softly.

“One problem though..” I muttered and he listened to me intently, meaning I needed to carry on before he got distracted. “How the fuck do I tell her about Caitlin?”