Sequel: Red.
Status: Complete; Sequel coming soon!

A Face to Call Home

Chapter Two

”KAYLIN STEELE” is what I read off a little, white sign being held up in the middle of the crowded London Heathrow Airport. A beautiful, young girl with brown wavy hair flowing down her shoulders was holding the sign. She was wearing a sheer ivory button up tank with black polka dots, with a pair of black skinny jeans and ivory flats. Her aviators were covering her eyes, but as I walked up she lifted them up to place on her head revealing her bright brown eyes. A big smile was forming on her lips as I got closer and I returned it with a bright smile. “I’m Kaylin,” I said loudly over the obnoxious sounds of people chattering. She beamed and pulled me into a big hug, surprising me. I wrapped an arm loosely around her back and chuckled.

“I’m Eleanor!” She laughed. “Of course, you know that but it’s a pleasure to finally meet you in person!” She pulled back out of the hug and grabbed my free hand pulling me through the crowd to the luggage claim. She helped me carry my bags out of the airport and to her car. As we drove through downtown London she pointed out all of the tourists spots, saying we would visit them on days where it’s less crowded. She pulled up to a small building and turned the car off. She got out while I stayed still staring at the building, everything finally becoming real to me.

Am I really doing this? Yes, I am. I am in London, moving into a beautiful apartment, and attending one of the best schools in the world. I was going to be living in the most beautiful city I have ever been too and studying what I love. I couldn’t believe it even though it was right in front of my eyes. Everything I have worked hard for was here, right now and all of my time spent studying in my room paid off.

My thoughts were interrupted when Eleanor knocked on the passenger side window, making me jump, and waved at me with a grin. She mouthed, ‘are you coming?!’ I laughed and got out of the car, taking in the smells of London. It definitely wasn’t America. “You’re not hesitating about your choice now, are you?” She asked me, looking at me. I shook my head with a smile. “Excellent! Let’s go inside.”

“Of course,” I said, following her upstairs. We stumbled up the stairs with my bags trailing behind. She opened the door to the apartment, revealing an open room with matching furniture and a kitchen across the room. Even though the building was old, everything was updated. “Wow, this place… It’s beautiful.” I gushed, looking around the baby blue painted room. I set my bags down and plopped down on the brown leather couch, sighing in content. “I’m definitely going to love this place.”

“I would hope so! You’re going to be stuck here for a little bit. You’re room is down the hall. I left it empty and dull except for the bed, of course. I didn’t know what you would like.” She plopped down onto the couch next to me. “So you’re definitely going to stay at my flat?” I looked at her confused.

“What the hell is a flat?” I asked, bluntly. My cheeks flushed in embarrassment at my choice of words. She laughed, throwing her head back.

“I forget you’re American. It’s like an… Apartment, yeah? I think that’s what you Americans call it.” I busted out laughing.

“Oh, yeah, an apartment. Right,” I said, laughing. “It’s going to take some getting use to your way of talking.” She giggled and nodded. “So tell me about yourself. We’ve barely been able to talk since this all was so sudden.”

“Well… I’m twenty, I lived here for a very long time, and I’m a student at the Uni.” I nodded. “You?”

“Hmm…Well, I’m eighteen. I’m going to attend the Royal Veterinary College for a while.”

“What made you want to come to London?”

“I wanted to go somewhere new. Everything at home was…” I paused. “I didn’t fit in. I only had one friend and he was in love with me. So, I just needed to go someplace new.”

“Oh… That’s awkward, don’t yeh think? How’d you manage to stay mates?” I shrugged.

“Honestly, I don’t know. But anyway, I’ve never really been involved back home. I kept my focus all on my studying.”

“What about your mum and dad? Don’t you miss them?” I shrugged.

“Yeah, I will but this is all I’ve ever wanted so it’ll make missing them a little bit easier.”

“So no boyfriend?” I shook my head. “Ah, that’s such a shame. You’re such a beautiful girl.” I laughed and shook my head again.

“No, I’m the last one to be called beautiful. You’re the beautiful one with your fancy clothes and beautiful hair.” She smiled.

“Humble. Modest. I think I’m going to like you.”

“I’m glad,” I said laughing. “So what about you? Any boyfriends?” She beamed.

“Yeah, his name is Louis. We’ve been together for a year now. One of his best mate’s introduced us. He’s in a band with four other blokes.” She saw my confused face. “Boys, guys, men, whatever. It’s a boy band. They’re quite famous. One Direction, that’s their name.”

“Can’t say I’ve heard of them. I’m sorry. I’m a little behind on the music stuff. I only honestly listen to the Beatles and Coldplay, to be honest. Coldplay because my best friend introduced me to them about two years ago and my dad always listened the Beatles in his car when I was younger so I just kind of fell in love with them. I just never really had time for music.”

“That’s awful! Music is what helps me get through the day. Louis sings to every night before I go to bed or well, whenever.” She giggled. “I’ll have to introduce you to the boys.” I laughed and agreed. “So have you ever dated a boy before?” She gasped when I shook my head, causing me to blush slightly. “How’d you do it?”

“I don’t know, I just did. Boys were never my number one priority… I’ve never even kissed a boy and I’m eighteen.” She raised her eyebrows, letting out a soft whistle.

“Damn, I couldn’t do it. I had my first kiss when I was in year eight in secondary.”

“I guess it just never crossed my mind. I mean I’ve had crushes on boys and stuff, but I was always to shy to even talk to them. Anytime I would try to talk to them, I would just end up chickening out. If a boy talked to me, I stuttered like a freak.” She giggled.

“We’ll work on that so you can meet some handsome chaps here in London.” I laughed as she glanced at the clock on the wall as she yawned. “Well, it’s late and I’m sure you just as tired as I am. So I’m going to call it a night and I’ll let you catch up on your sleep before your classes start next week.”

“Yeah,” I said, smiling. “I’ll see you in the morning?” She shook her regretfully.

“Unfortunately, no. I’ve got some places to go to tomorrow, but I would recommend you taking a walk around the city for a little bit.”

“Oh, okay. I will. Goodnight, Eleanor.” I yawned and got up at the same time as she did. She leaned over and gave me a hug.

“Goodnight,” she said, while yawning and pulled away, walking to her room.

I headed down the hall to my bedroom and walked inside, sighing. I fell back onto the bed, pulling the whites over my body and laid on my side, staring out the window. Eleanor was a wonderful girl and I knew we would become great friends. She almost made me forget all about the boy who was my best friend, back home. It will be nice being able to talk to a girl about things I couldn’t talk to Max about or even feel comfortable talking to my mom about.

My eyes glanced over each of the small cars driving by on the road outside the room. All I could think about was how excited I was to start school on Tuesday. I felt the happiness, nervousness, and sadness all at once. The happiness because I would be going to the school I’ve always wanted to go to since I was in middle school. I felt nervous because everything was all so new and it scared me. I was scared of doing one thing wrong and having to go back to the states. I was scared of getting lost or what if I didn’t fit in and I couldn’t make any friends? That thought frightened me a lot. I felt a little bit sad because now I won’t have my parents to come home to after school every day or my brother to pull constant pranks on me. Everything I knew was left behind back at home and I was starting a whole new way of life here in London.

I turned onto my back, staring up at the ceiling suddenly feeling more awake than I was when I arrived. I couldn’t wait to walk around the city tomorrow and see everything. I knew I would have to wait for Eleanor to take me to all of the important sights, but I could at least take a ride on one of the red double-decker buses and see the little things, like the small shops and café. Who knows, maybe I’ll find a café to go to during the day once school starts. It’s going to be an adventure, traveling around London and I’m going to be sure to enjoy it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I hoped this turned out okay? I am my worst critic, I swear. It took me a total of like eight hours to write this. This was mostly just introducing Kaylin and Eleanor. I don't know about Eleanor that much and I know she doesn't go the university of London but I thought it would just fit with the story better... Anybody else watch the iTunesFestival thing with the boys? I did, I thought it was absolutely amazing :) What about the song, "Live While We're Young"? It's pretty awesome, isn't it? I think so. I can NOT wait for their new CD to come out. Harry agrees.

Image

Anyway, A MASSIVE THANK YOU TO ImaSpiderPirate for the comment :D It makes me all giddy inside knowing someone loves my story!

Image
Louis's giddy too!

Well, anyway... Harry and Louis want to say bye

ImageImage

BYE!