Status: This is probably a totally different story than what you're used to, but it's probably the most real to life one too, It's been my favorite to write, even better than my fanfic!

Rekindled

Friday Night Lights

PRESLEY

“Ok everybody ready?” I smiled skipping down the stairs

“Look at you!”

“What ma?” I giggled

“You’re in a good mood”

“I guess football does that to me” I laughed

“I guess so” daddy kissed my cheek

“It’s the black and gold game daddy, it’s the game where we get to see what we have to look forward to next season”

“Well, I’m just happy to see you in a good mood” mama hugged me.

“I can’t wait to see Princess cheering though, I think that’s what I’m looking forward to” I smiled as Preston came down the stairs

“I’m ready to go gramps”

“Well the man has spoken” daddy laughed “Let’s go, you know I hate missing kick off, and I want to get a good seat so I can see the whole field” he grabbed his keys off the hook heading out the door.

“It’s nice to see that things haven’t changed” I laughed as me and Preston followed him out the door.

“Some things never do” mama laughed.

We got into daddy’s truck and headed straight for the stadium. Going to this game brought back so many good memories; but to be truthfully honest, there’s not really any bad memories here, maybe more could’ve, should’ve, and would’ves than anything. I remember how much fun away games used to be. Being from a small town with only 2 high schools, we did a lot of traveling to other surrounding little towns to play games. Those were the good ole days.

We pulled into the stadium and daddy let us out at the front so he could go park as usual. We got our tickets and headed into the stadium. Tricia, Craig, and CJ were already there, sitting in the family’s usual spot. It’s funny how some things never seem to change. My family and the Hunter’s always set in the same section of the stadium at every game!

“Hey sissy” I smiled as she got up and give me a kiss on the cheek.

“Hey love”

“Hey brother- in-law” I leaned over Tricia and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Hey Aunt P”

“Hey my baby boy” I kissed CJs head. “Spenc, do you wanna sit with CJ?” I asked my son who was sitting on my sister’s lap

“Yeah, they can sit right here” Craig said patting the empty space on the bleachers next to him. Preston got up and him and CJ crossed over my brother-in-law and sat down, animatedly talking to one another.

Tricia spoke to mama and daddy just as the Hunters came up.

“Hey family” Ms.Janey smiled as she took her seat “Pres, I’m glad you decided to join us”

“I am too” I laughed.

“Hey Aunt J, Uncle D” I heard a familiar voice, bringing a smile to my face. I knew that voice oh too well.

“Hey baby”

“Hey Aunt Sadie” his voice was coming from the row behind us.

“Uncle P, that house over on Pinecone is ready for inspection, so the inspector can probably come out later this week to take a look at it”

“Ok that’ll work” daddy replied.

“Sup Wilsons”

“Hunter” Patricia and Craig smiled in unison.

“CJ, what’s up man, you not speaking to me today? Whose that you got over there with you?”

“Hey Uncle Mikey. This is my cousin Preston. That’s my uncle Mikey” CJ pointed out to Preston

“Preston huh?” I could hear his voice moving down to where the boys were sitting “You know one of my best friend’s was named Preston” he smiled at my son

“That’s my grandpa and my uncle’s name too” Preston smiled

“Well, I think Preston is a pretty cool name”

“My name is Preston Spencer Parker” my son smiled

“Nice to meet you lady killer”

“I’m not a lady killer, I’m not a killer, I’m a lover” Preston laughed

“Well, with eyes like those, you’ll be slaying the girls before you know it” he smiled poking his stomach “So are you visiting your grands for the summer?”

Preston nodded his head yes. “Me and my mom” he pointed to me.

That familiar sparkle hit his eyes when his met mine. “That’s your mom?” he smiled to Preston

“Now, she’s one of the prettiest girls in all of Brookpoint. She always has been” he smiled as I stood up and crossed over the bleachers. He stood up as I headed his way

“You know my mom?” Preston sounded surprised

“I’ve known this man all my life baby” I smiled up at him.

“Presley Michelle Monroe” he smiled

“Michael William Hunter”

“You just gonna stand there?” he smiled extending his arms. I willingly fell into his arms as he wrapped them around me and held me tightly. I wrapped my arms around him and rested my head on his chest, inhaling his scent. It felt good to be in this familiar place with familiar faces. I knew I was safe at home.

“It’s so good to see you. When did you get in town?” Mikey smiled as he slowly let go of me.

“I got home last Saturday”

“And you didn’t tell anybody? I’m just now seeing you?” he sat down on the row behind our families

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that Mikey, I just wasn’t ready to be sociable, that’s all” I shrugged

“It’s ok, considering all you’ve been through in the past few months, it’s understandable” he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close

“Thanks hun. Ms.Janey and Sherriff D came by the house for dinner Sunday though. I was so sure they would have told you” I laughed as I rested my head on his shoulder. Mikey was a year older than me and he had always been like a brother to me. I know it sounds funny, I had been in love with his cousin and he was like a big brother. Mikey was a year younger than PJ and they were best friends. Patricia is the oldest of me and my siblings, and I’m the youngest. Patricia is 4 years older than me and PJ was 2 years older than me. I guess you could say that just about every 2 years, my parents were having a baby.

“You know how Aunt Janey is when it comes to us kids; she’s pretty protective. She knows everything that you’ve been going through, so I guess she was giving you space” he chuckled

“I guess so, but ya’ll are family, so it wouldn’t have mattered”

“It’s funny, we were just talking about you the other day” he laughed shaking his head

“Who was?”

“Me and Kyle”

“Really, why? It better had been good stuff too…where is Kyle anyway?”

“It was!” he laughed “He’ll be here. Kyle was saying that he thought he saw you going into Luke’s the other day…..guess he was right” he smiled

“Oh ok. Yeah, I took daddy some lunch. Plus I was dying for some Luke’s” I laughed.

“Pres, look…check out Princess” Tricia turned around to me as the cheerleaders made their way out onto the track. I smiled and waved when they looked up at us. The smile on their faces just made me smile even brighter. It reminded me of when I was a cheerleader.

“We’re heading over to Sugar’s after the game, why don’t you join us?” Mikey leaned over to me

“Yeah Pres, that’s a good idea, you should really come with us” Craig smiled

“Why not, it might be fun” I shrugged with a smile.

The announcer came over the sound system to alert us that the game was about to start. He introduced the Black team and their coach, as they ran through a banner that the cheerleaders had made for them. Them he introduced the gold team and their coach. I guess I was so busy talking to my family that I didn’t hear who their coach was. When we stood up for the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem, that’s when I saw him. There he was, standing on the field in a gold and black track suit, baseball cap on his head, and clipboard in his hand. For the first time in 3 months, my heart fluttered and my eyes welled up with tears. There he was, my first love; giving me the same effect as from when I was younger. The tears in my eyes because I couldn’t help but think about Spencer at the same time. I guess you could say I was a ball of emotion.

“Told ya he’d be here” Mikey hunched me.

I batted back the tears that puddled in my eyelids, “Yeah you did, you just didn’t tell me he was a coach” I smiled just as Kyle turned in our direction looking up in the stands. The smile on his face when our eyes met was priceless.

KYLE

There she was; standing next to my cousin, sitting with my family. I wasn’t dreaming I was wide awake. Mikey was standing next to her smiling brightly just nodding his head, reassuring me that it was actually her. She smiled her beautiful smile and offered a small wave. I returned it with a gentle nod and a smile, trying not to smile too hard. I’ve never been nervous about a game, especially a Black and Gold game, but tonight was different. For some strange reason I wanted to impress her and show off all at the same time. I turned around to get the game started, because I wanted nothing more than for it to be over so that I could go wrap her up in my arms and hold her for a few minutes, that is if she let me. I wanted to hear her voice, inhale her scent; just be in her presence, if only for a minute.

If given the chance, what would I say to her? The way things ended between us, wasn’t exactly the best, and then the last time we saw each other wasn’t under the best of circumstances as well. Things would be awkward, that’s for sure. I’d probably need some liquid courage for this, but the chances of her going to Sugar’s after the game were probably slim to none. I shook the thoughts of Presley out of my head so that I could focus on the game.

***********TWO HOURS LATER***********

Brittany asked if she could spend the night with Princess, which was fine with me, so she rode home with Tricia and Craig. I went back to the house to shower up and head on over to Sugar’s like we do after every game. I jumped in the shower and out in about 20-30 minutes. I threw on some jeans, a t-shirt, and one of my baseball caps. I grabbed my guitar because I knew the band was going to play at some point tonight.

“Mikey, you ready?”

“No, not yet, why don’t you go ahead of me, I’ll catch up with you there” he called from the back bedroom

“You sure?”

“Yeah cuz, it’s cool, go ahead” he replied

“Alright, I’ll see you there then” I grabbed my keys off of the table and headed out the door. When I got to Sugar’s is was still pretty quiet, not everybody had gotten there yet.

“Hey Kyle, what can I get you?” Jimmie asked as I took a seat at the bar

“Gimmie a Bud Light”

“Good game tonight Kyle” he smiled as he placed the beer down in front of me

“Thanks Jimmie. Looks like we got some pretty decent players for next year”

“Yeah, looks like it. Hey Scooter” he nodded as Scooter took a seat on the stool next to me.

“Hey Jimmie” he smiled “ Gimmie a Bud Light please”

“What’s goin on Scooter?”

“Not much Kyle, you bring your guitar?”

“You know it” I smiled

“Cool, I’m ready to jam”

“Me too” I chuckled

“You’ll never believe who I saw this week on my route” he turned to me

“Who?”

“Presley Monroe” he smiled bright “she looks good too…damn good” he smiled brighter

“Down boy. Give her room, she just lost her husband” I shook my head with a chuckle

“I know, I know, I know. Plus I don’t want to step on your toes, I mean I know how you felt about her” he slapped my back

“That was a long time ago Scooter”

“You keep telling yourself that Hunter. You never stopped loving that girl; everybody knows it” he patted my back before finishing his beer and standing from his bar stool “Now, c’mon so we can get this stage set up”

I finished my beer, grabbed my guitar and followed him. About 30-45 minutes later, Sugar’s started to fill up. After about an hour of us playing, there she was; walking in Sugar’s with Tricia, Craig, & Mikey. She looked beautiful in a black, white, & pink striped dress and some black & white flats on. Her hair was in her usual braid down in the middle her hair, leading down to her exposed back. She was breath taking. Presley walked in behind Mikey, hand in hand. If I didn’t know the relationship that her and Mikey had, I probably would have been jealous; but knowing that she looked at him like a big brother, I had no worries.

“Told you she looked good” Scooter leaned over in my ear.

I nodded my head and smiled,”As beautiful as ever”. I continued playing, watching as she greeted old friends and family members. She took a seat at the bar and continued to talk to every one surrounding her.

“Alright ya’ll, we’re gonna take a break, but we’ll be back in 10 minutes” Scooter spoke into the microphone. I set my guitar up in the stand and jumped off the stage.

Mikey handed me a beer, “So, what you waiting for? You know you want to go talk to her” he smirked

“How you figure?” I took a gulp of my beer

“I saw you watching her Kyle; you couldn’t take your eyes off of her” he sipped his beer

“And?”

“Fine, do what you want, but she’s here, RIGHT here, RIGHT now. This is your chance to say and do whatever it is that you’ve been dying to for the last 10 or more years” he replied

“Well, what am I supposed to do, what do I say to her?” I had never been at a lost when it came to Presley. With her, I could always be just me, but this time, things are different. It’s not like she went to spend the summer with her aunt and uncle in Dallas, and we talked on the phone everyday. She had moved to a whole other city, had a life and a family there. Years had passed since we spoke to each other, not to mention we really weren’t on the best of terms when she left. I had broken her heart, and mine as well.

“You could start by asking her to dance, you know she can’t resist a dance to her favorite song” Mikey smirked

“What’d you do Michael?”

“I figured you’d need some help, so I choose her favorite song along with a few others. All you have to do is ask her to dance when it comes on. If I know Presley, she’s not going to turn you down” he patted my back before walking away. I managed to make eye contact with Presley as Mikey headed in her direction. She offered up a small smile, and I returned it.

The guitar intro to I’LL BE began to play. I watched to see her reaction when her favorite song began to play. Just as I hoped and expected, her eyes lit up like lights on a Christmas tree. I took the last swallow of my beer, drew in a deep breath, and found the 20 seconds of courage that I needed to put my feet into motion in her direction.

“Excuse me ya’ll, but Presley, dance with me?” I smiled softly extending my hand for hers. My heart pounded so hard that I swear everybody could hear it.

“I was hoping you’d ask” she smiled taking my hand and sliding off her bar stool.

I lead her to the dance floor, taking her free hand in mine, and wrapping my arm around her back, letting my hand rest on the small of her back. A position that I was familiar with and missed so much. I quietly inhaled her scent as we swayed back and forth to the music.

“Hey” I smiled as Presley looked up at me

“Hey yourself” she smiled

“You look good”

“Thanks” she lowered her head blushing

“When’d you get here?”

“Last Friday” she looked back up at me

“Oh ok” I nodded, “so how come I’m just now seeing you?”

“I don’t know, why is it?”

“I didn’t even know you were here” I defended myself

“Ms.Janey didn’t tell you? She and the Sherriff came over for dinner on Sunday”

“Believe or not, mama didn’t say anything to me, Dad neither” I chuckled

“Yeah, that’s what Mikey said too” she smiled looking up at me, “I didn’t think you remembered”

“Remember what, that this is your favorite song?” I looked into her brown eyes as she nodded her head yes, “How could I forget, you sang it like every day for a two months straight after we heard it on an episode of Dawson’s Creek” I laughed, causing her to laugh too. “

“Hey, I loved this song” she giggled

“Looks like you still do”

“Maybe a little bit, but for reasons that I’d rather not say right now”

“So you not gonna tell me?” I smirked

“Maybe, but not now” she offered a crocked smile

“Ok, I’ll take that. How long you in town for?” I needed to know how long I had to make things right between us, and if at all possible Finally make her mine.

“Probably through the end of the summer. I might be making trips back and forth to Houston every now and then to check up on things at my house, but for the most part, I’ll be here the majority of the summer” she smiled “Plenty of time for us to catch up”

“I guess it is. I have to go finish playing this set, but will you stick around until I finish?” I was silently praying that she would say yes

“For you, yes, but only if you drive me home” she smiled “Looks like my ride might be leaving before I’m ready” she nodded in Mikey’s direction where he was in a corner talking to Lizabeth.

“Of course” I smiled as the song came to an end and Scooter and the band began to head up to the stage “I’ll see you after?”

“Yes” she smiled before I headed for the stage. I wanted so badly to kiss her cheek if anything, but wasn’t sure if it was a good idea yet, but I knew I’d get my chance soon enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you're enjoying reading this story as much as I enjoy writing it.