Crazy-Eyed Charmers and Illicit Dreams

Audrey and Andy

Chicago: a quaint place to live. Chicago: The Windy City.VirginiaOhio Chicago is for Lovers.

Chicago is for Secrets.


I walked into the small, well-known cafe and took a seat in the usual corner of the room. Oh, it's Open Mic Night. How long is it going to take me to remember that Friday is Open Mic Night?

"Welcome, may I help you?" A guy who worked here asked me. I'd never seen him before...he was about as tall as me, maybe a little taller. He wore glasses, and his arms were covered with tattoos. His dark brown hair went a little past his shoulders.

"Hm? Oh, no, I'm okay, thanks." I replied, smiling. He nodded, smiled back, and walked away. I took out a copy book I had in my bag, flipping through the pages, all my work, written in black, blue, gray, and white. I'd been working on a book about an underground society of vampires for years. I'd made it all up, of course, but it was based on facts. I became obsessed with my book, and wrote more of it every chance I would. I looked at the guy who'd asked if he could help me now and then, but he was busy making drinks and things for other people.

Two hours later, I was done. My entire book was finally finished. I needed to share this with someone-now.

"I call this shit coffee?!" A woman-mid-twenties, high class, yelled at him. "You should be fired for this shit! No wonder you're so fucking screwed up!" She threw her coffee at him, striding out the door. He blinked, and when she was gone, got a towel and wiped off his face. I decided to go over to him to say hello.

"You alright?" I asked. He seemed taken aback by my voice, then gave me a crooked smile, seeming very doisappointed in himself.

"Yea, I'm fine; you? Need anything?" He asked. I smiled, shaking my head.

"I'm Audrey." I told him, extending my hand. He looked at it quizically, then back to me, smiling a little more.

"Andy. Andy Hurley, at your service." He shook my hand and tipped his imaginary hat. I laughed in aproval, and he continued.

"So, Miss Audrey, what's a classy girl like yourself in a dump like this?" I bit my lip, not out of nervousness, just a habit.

"I come here a lot to work on this book Im writing. Actually, I just finished it." I said proudly. His eyes brightened and his smile widened.

"Really? Awesome! Good job!" He clapped a little for me. I rolled my eyes.

"What about you? What do you do besides work 'in a dump like this'?" Andy smiled.

"I'm a drummer in a band called Fall Out Boy. We aren't huge yet, but maybe you-"

"Oh my God, I'm retarded, I love you guys." I said. I laughed nervously.

"You know us then?" He asked, rather grvaely.

"Obviously. You and Patrick rock." I said. He mulled it over for a moment, a serious expression on his face.

"What about Pete, and Joe? What other bands do you like?" He asked all to quickly.

"Slow down! Um, I don't really like Pete, and Joe, well...let's not talk about him...maybe we should talk more? Leave this dump and go out?" I asked boldly. He was about to nod, but his cell rang.

"Yea, Bren? Oh? Shit, okay, I'll be there A.S.A.P." He hung up, standing and grabbing his jacket.

"Audrey, I would love to but, something just came up, um...here!" He took out a pen and scribbled his number on my arm. Anyd was out the door in seconds.

Perplexed by his behavior, I decided to just head home and call him in the morning.