The Black Lupin

Punishment

A week later and they’d not seen Remy since which Sirius found alarming even if Severus did try to tell him she was teaching at Hogwarts. Remy was sat with Severus in her office when Neville crept down the hallway “Remy drink this” “It tastes awful” she replied “It will make you better, you know it will. There’s no time for feeling sorry for yourself,” Severus scolded and Neville heard a bang before complaints again.

“You brought this all on yourself and you know it! This is the price you pay for what you have done, you’re lucky to be alive and you know it!” Snape snapped quietly and she sighed. “I just wish this would stop burning” “Let me see” Severus said as she pushed her robe sleeve up to revel the black dark mark on her forearm.

“That is your punishment for betraying him,” Severus added as Neville knocked on the door and it opened slowly to reveal the scene. His eyes widened and Remy pushed her robe sleeve down quickly “Y-You’re a…” Neville trailed of before running away and she got up flicking her wand at him and he felt his feet glued to the floor.

“Remy…” “I have it covered Severus, leave us!” she growled and he bowed his head leaving, “Let me go!” Neville demanded and she looked at him “Don’t run and I will” she stated and he nodded so she freed him and he shot off sending stunning spells in her direction but she deflected them into the walls. She pulled the hood up on her robes and walked slowly around the castle to Dumbledore’s office before mumbling the password and heading upstairs.

She knocked on the door “Enter” the voice replied and she walked in to see Dumbledore and Neville “I saw it Professor!” Neville snapped and he nodded “Professor Lupin would you care to show us your forearm” he stated and she pushed her robe up to reveal the dark mark that was throbbing and burning away at her skin.

“I told you! Snape knows about it too, I bet he’s one as well” “Neville I remind you that they are both your Professors and you should treat them with respect, Professor that does look rather sore” Dumbledore said and she nodded. “It is my punishment Professor, a punishment I accept and take,” she admitted before pulling her hood down stepping into the bright light of the office properly and Neville gasped.

“Professor that does look rather nasty” Dumbledore stated calmly as he saw her face, which was bruised and cut “Once again a punishment but Severus as been so kind as to provide some form of relief and help in healing it quickly but as I’m sure you understand this form of magic does take a while to pass” Remy explained making sure not to look directly at anyone.

“You mention a punishment, what are you being punished for and who by?” Dumbledore asked “I’d rather not say Professor but I’d imagine the answers are clear” she replied “Yes well I think you owe Mr Longbottom here some form of answer” “I am being punished by The Dark Lord for failing him in a task I was entrusted to carry out” she said keeping her gaze fixed to the floor.

“You mean Voldemort” Neville said and Remy flinched before nodding slowly “What can’t say his name?” he snapped “You must understand Neville that while you find the name easy to say for some of us it is still a word we wish not to hear or say” she answered him. “Sorry I forgot you call him Master” “If it is what he expects of me then I say it and hope that it satisfies him. There is much you do not know Longbottom and much that I wish for you not to know” she said clearly.

“Well you wait until the whole school hears how their potions master and dark arts professors are Death Eaters” “Then you wait until you all die, you know not the damage you would cause if you were to play perfect student Mr. Longbottom!” she snapped back looking directly at him. “Maybe you should explain it to him” Dumbledore suggested “Professor I cannot endanger more people in telling…” “It appears your secret is already out, you might as well try to redeem yourself” Dumbledore replied standing up.

“It is not a matter of redeeming myself Professor! If this was about that then I’d be fighting a losing battle, I cannot be redeemed!” she shouted back “Professor Lupin you do not give yourself enough credit! I wish not to hear your story; I trust that Severus would not have asked for you as his replacement unless he felt you were trustworthy enough to work within this walls. I bid you both goodnight and Neville I ask that you give Professor Lupin a chance to explain herself to you” he finished before leaving and it fell silent.

“Y-You’ve been using me to get to Harry haven’t you?” Neville asked and she sighed “Neville I have not been using you for Potter, I have no desire to take Potter anywhere. My concern is that of Draco,” she admitted. “What?” “Neville I don’t expect you to understand what I’m doing but I do ask that for your own sake you keep this conversation between us” she said calmly.

“Then help me understand” he stated and she sighed, “This isn’t going to be an easy thing to explain, there’s no short version” she stated “Well I’ve got all night” Neville replied and she sighed. “My brother Remus was always our parents’ favourite child, he could do nothing wrong. You see I’ve heard theories on why they loved him so, I’m sure your aware that he is in fact a werewolf. Our father was to blame for it, you see he upset Fenrir Greyback and his revenge was to contaminate my brother. The theory that holds the most ground is that my parents treated him so well because they wanted him to feel loved for what he was. My mother tried everything to save him but she failed, they thought that loving him would stop him being who he truly is,” she explained “I don’t see…” “You wanted to know Neville!” she snapped.

“You’re clever Neville so you know what my brother becomes every full moon. I had to be overlooked by our parents in his favour and I had to hide every full moon through fear of my own brother. I spent my childhood terrified of my brother with nowhere to turn. My parents weren’t so bothered with me. I was an after thought. When Remus started school I met Regulus, Sirius Black’s younger brother. We were the same age and we became best friends, all of Remus’ friends annoyed me. James Potter teased me, Peter Pettigrew would get me to do his summer homework and Sirius would ask questions. The Black’s treated me like their own child and I felt part of a family” she admitted staying in the shadows.

“I started school and I was sorted into Slytherin, my parents were far from proud. I was called a disappointment because of it, my brother disliked the people Regulus and I became friends with and they just lost every ounce of interest in me. When they found out who my closest friends were they paid attention, me having some what dangerous friends made them care,” she said pacing around as Neville watched.

“I saw this and went further into it, at 13 they told me I wasn’t to see these people anymore and Remus and I argued so I moved into the Black’s house” she recalled “What’s this got to do with you being evil?” he said. “Regulus and I got mixed up in the bad crowd, of course we found it amazing and we were good at it. We crept up the ladder and then Regulus got cold feet, he started to see things weren’t so great. He tried to destroy them but he died. They found out and the only person I ever loved, who’s always been there for me and they killed him,” she explained and Neville could tell she was crying.

“Then Draco came along…” “He’s evil!” Neville growled. “His parents have both been murdered by the Dark Lord and Draco was given a task, trap Harry and help them break into Hogwarts when the time comes. He asked me for help and I knew the only way I could help was to ask The Order, so I went to them. I got this job because Severus asked for me to be chosen, this way I could keep an eye on Draco. Things got…difficult” “Why?” Neville asked.

“They killed him! So I’ve been helping The Order, they don’t trust me at all. I’ve been misbehaving to say the least, I must ask you keep what I’m about to say a secret” she said but he stayed quiet. “I killed Fenrir Greyback and The Carrow’s, I did it because the more I kill the less he has and the most chance I have at feeling like he’s paying for killing Regulus. I got this because I failed to bring him Harry. Neville I don’t expect you or anyone to see me as a hero or to make up for what I’ve done but I want to do what I can to help save Draco because he’s better than them. I take my punishment because I deserve it” she mumbled the end.

“So what was I?” Neville said and she sat down “You were an utter menace when presented with a cauldron but you also showed signs of promise. You also got me in trouble, Severus was anything but happy about me helping you and Potter knows the truth about me so that’s why I told you not to tell anyone where you were” she admitted and Neville let it all sink in. “So we’re supposed to be happy and trust you?” he asked “Oh nobody ever does & I know it, nobody ever will again. Neville I don’t want people to respect me, trust me I don’t need it but I do ask for you to respect the people I’m trying to help,” she said.

“So what now? You get to stay on here teaching and getting others into your gang” “I would never let another fall down that path, nobody should walk my path in life. My life consists of doing what’s asked of me and helping the others, I have to hope I never get caught because if I get this for failing what would I get for betraying him?” she asked.

It fell silent “Neville you may return to your dormitory and if you wish to discuss this further then you may come to me. Please keep this to yourself though” she stated and Neville got up leaving, she left afterwards heading back to the dungeons when Severus grabbed her “He wants to see you now and he isn’t happy” he whispered. She headed to the Room of Requirement breathing unsteadily she stepped into the wardrobe and muttered “Harmonia Nectare Passus” before opening the door and stepping out, she headed up the stairs “Master you wanted me” she said calmly and the door opened to reveal a room full of people. “Ahh Lupin, do come in. We were just talking about The Order and maybe how we could find them,” she stated.