Teen Angst

1

‘Congratulations on your sorting, we’re so proud of you and we miss you already! We hope your first few weeks go okay and we’ll see you at Christmas. Love you, mum, dad and Skylar xxx’ I read before putting the parchment into my pocket. I picked at the breakfast I’d picked out absorbed in my own world when someone coughed and I looked up to see people looking at me.

“I said what do your parents do?” a boy stated, “Oh, my dad works for the ministry. Yours?” I replied and they all started talking about their parents “Aren’t you Christy Groshank?” a blond haired boy asked and I nodded slowly. “Your father knows my father, I’m Draco Malfoy. We met a couple of summers back I think,” he stated and I recognised him briefly.

“Yeah I think I remember you, your dad came around to my dad’s office with you” I said and he nodded “So your parents are glad you got into Slytherin?” “They’re just happy I got into Hogwarts, my cousins all go to Durmstrang. Are yours?” I asked. “Of course they are, the best house to be in. All my family have been in Slytherin, wasn’t your dad in Ravenclaw?” Draco asked and I nodded.

“Well these two are Crabbe and Goyle, so my father was telling me the other day that there’s some muggle born working in your fathers department at the ministry,” he said and I had a feeling I was supposed to answer “Henrietta? Yeah I think she’s muggle born, I’m not really sure” I admitted. “The ministry are trusting them to work for them now are they? Well that’s it we’re all doomed, can you imagine it? Pure bloods like us taking orders from muggle borns, has the world gone totally mad?” he joked and they all laughed.

I carried on playing with my food when I heard my name and looked up “Are you coming? We have Potions” Draco said and I stood up walking behind him and his friends, we got to the dungeon and I looked for a place to sit “Christy sit with us” he motioned me to him so I sat at his side. Professor Snape walked in and started talking about Potions “Potter do you listen or is that beneath your celebrity status?” Snape asked and Draco laughed quietly.

I had fully decided that I would keep my head down and work as hard as I could, good grades was all I wanted from school. I was closing my books as the lesson finished “Christy come on! We’re going to the common room” Draco shouted over the top of everyone and I nodded “Are you coming with us?” “Yeah okay” I replied and he smiled. “Potter nice Potion knowledge!” Draco teased, “Shut up Malfoy!” the boy cut back pushing past him.

The next few days were the same, it was apparent these 3 boys were my new friends although Draco was the only one who seemed to have anything to say, “There’s that idiot and his stupid toad, and how he got into this school I don’t know!” Draco snided and the boys laughed as I just nodded. “Christy we’re going outside to do our Charms homework, are you coming with us?” Draco asked smiling and I nodded walking with them outside and sitting in the sun.

We sat writing when 2 boys and a girl walked past talking “Potter why don’t you run along inside, I’m sure Granger has some book to be busy reading and well Weasley needs to give his brother his robes. I’m sure it’s there turn to wear them” Draco teased, “Shut up Malfoy!” the boy with glasses cut back “Why will you make me Potter?” he asked “Stop trying to be all cool and trying to impress your girlfriend” the ginger boy cut across and I looked at them.

“I’m not his girlfriend you idiot!” I snapped, “Whoa, she’s a feisty one Malfoy” “Shut up” I stated as Crabbe and Goyle laughed. “What’s this, the little evil gang?” Ron asked “Do you have to be something special to be part of your gang?” he added. “Yeah not you!” Malfoy cut back glaring at them “How’s your father Weasley? Still working in that stupid muggle department?” Draco joked as the boys laughed and I carried on looking at my schoolwork.

“At least he works for the ministry” “Mine doesn’t have to work for the ministry” Draco cut back, “No they don’t employ pure evil do they? There’s no department for him” Ron argued and Draco pulled out his wand and I saw Professor McGonagall walking in our direction “Draco careful” I warned and he saw where I was looking putting it back quickly.

“Oh is your girlfriend telling you what to do now?” Ron asked smiling “I’m not his girlfriend! Will you stop saying that” I said and Professor McGonagall overheard “Weasley what’s going on here?” she asked. “He keeps teasing me” I stated looking upset and she turned to face him “Weasley the first few months of school are bad enough without being picked on by others! We do not tolerate teasing or bullying here at Hogwarts and I suggest if you wish to remain here you apologize and leave Miss Groshank alone” she snapped and he nodded.

“I’m sorry,” he stated before she nodded and walked off and Draco grinned “I’m sorry,” he mocked getting up “Come on lets go, out here isn’t that nice anymore. The common room will be better” Draco sneered before turning to walk off and we followed him.