Status: Complete. <3 thank you for reading.

Write It Down

Chapter Three

Dear Jack,
This connection you speak of, its real, I can feel it. I don't know what it is either but I feel like if I don't keep writing and responding to your letters, then I'll never make it in this job. I was on the brink of destruction when you first wrote to me, Jack. I could feel myself crumbling. It takes a lot to put all your passion and soul into something that was once so important to you, and then have it kicked and put down like it was nothing. I don't know what you do for a living, Jack. As a matter of fact, I know nothing about you truly, but I honestly hope it gives you the same exhilirating feeling as writing a powerful article does to me. And if so, I hope you do it for the rest of your life. Because your life is the story. The story I've been dying to write.
My name is Alex Gaskarth. I graduated from Northwestern University at the top of my class.
I want to know you, too, Barakat.
Keep writing.
Truly yours,
Alexander William Gaskarth.


Jack smiled as he re-read the words Alex wrote to him. This letter, it took the connection to a whole new level. An unknown level, and honestly, it scared Jack shitless.
Outside of his absolute immediate family, Jack had never experienced a relationship with anyone.

No one.

And, now, he knew it was time to grow up. He knew it was time to be a big boy and learn about the world of Baltimore that he had never seen before. It was time to get out and be social, and have a life and make friends.

This Alex Gaskarth person, sure, he was a friend, but he was never going to amount to anything outside of letters. Right? Jack could taste the social interaction and he wanted more. He wanted to party and get drunk and fuuckk.

The words that Alex wrote on that page flipped a switch on in Jack's head. Sure, he had been living a very happy life, but he had been doing it all wrong. He needed people. And he needed was a chance to interact.
He needed more letters.

He needed more of this Alex person. Alex was his ticket to a more "normal" life.

---

"Gaskarth, c'mere." Alex heard his boss say. Ever since he gave his name to Jack, Alex has been scared shitless. He has to turn in all records of every letter he recieves.
That means that there is a small possibility that his editor has read the letters from Jack.

This. Is. Dangerous.

"How long have you wanted to write an Editorial, Gaskarth?" His editor, Mr. McDaniel asked.

"An editorial?" That was the one story Alex had NEVER had the opportunity to write. Not in journalism I. Not on high school newspaper staff. Not it college. Never. "Since I started journalism, sir.."

"Exactly. Now. I see these letters. From a.." He looked down at a piece of paper. "A Jack Barakat?" Alex’s stomach churned at the idea of his editor reading his letters from Jack. Those were very personal. Very.. very personal.

Alex knew what was coming. He was going to lose his job at the paper, and probably never get the chance to work anywhere else ever again. It was almost nauseating picturing it.

“I want you to write a story about him. Your first editorial, now I can’t promise that it will make it into the actual paper, but it’s the best option I can give you right now, Gaskarth. You’ve earned it.”

Alex almost wanted to throw up. This was not how it was supposed to feel to get the story of his dreams. No, it was supposed to feel very very different.
Sure, Alex had thought of Jack as “the story he had always wanted to write,” But, in all honesty, he never thought it would become any version of reality.

“Sir, how am I supposed to go about writing about someone I’ve never met..” Alex asked.

“Get to know him. Find out his secrets, his inner most thoughts. I want to know this Barakat character. I want to know whats making him tick. And, you’re going to be the one to give it to me. Take as long as you want and if its good enough we’ll push it to press immediately.”

The idea was starting to sound better and better to Alex. It gave him a reason to talk to Jack. And, he just knew Jack would be so proud to know he was involved in Alex’s first real story.

“There’s one more thing. I don’t want Jack to know you’re writing about him. I want your ass under cover. Become his best friend. He seems like someone who needs one, anyway. Hell, I’ve got more friends than this kid and I spend more hours in this newsroom then with my own kids.” His editor chuckled. “Get on it. Now.”

Alex can’t tell Jack… He can’t tell him… Anything.

Its worth it though, right? In the journalism world you sort of have to fight and lie your way to the top. Its worse than show business.

Alex had to do this. He had to write this story. Jack was just some guy, he can handle himself.
But this was his career.

---

Jack smiled as he received another letter from Alex. It had been almost a week since he sent his last one. It was a simple letter thanking Alex for being so kind.
He honestly didn’t expect him to respond anyway.
But, nevertheless, Jack opens his mailbox to another envelope stamped with the Baltimore Ledger logo.

Dear Jack,
You don’t need to thank me, friend. I find it extremely easy to talk to you. Like old friends, huh? I think it would be a nice idea if we got to know eachother better.
I have the picture you sent me sitting on my desk next to the one of my sister, Annabelle.
Perhaps we should exchange emails?
Here’s mine.
Feel free to talk any time. I think it would be a faster communication anyway? Huh?
alex.gaskarth@thebaltimoreledger.com
Will be waiting,
Alexander.


Jack almost ran to his laptop as he couldn’t wait to email his new friend. It was almost as if Alex had turned himself into Jack’s own personal drug.
He didn’t want to sound cliché, but it had started to feel that way.

He quickly typed together a quick email, trying not to sound too insane and obsessive.
To: Alex Gaskarth [alex.gaskarth@thebaltimoreledger.com]
From: Jack Barakat [jacksetsyouonfire@yahoo.com]
Subject: Friend!
Alex,
Its really nice to hear from you, and I agree, email would be a faster means of communication. I found myself missing you more than necessary in this past week.
I hope that doesn’t sound strange, it is in fact honesty.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Xoxo,
Jack.

It felt strange.
It almost felt as if their relationship was going into a whole new level.
And, quite frankly, Jack liked where this was going.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so, I've had the first three chapters written for awhile, and I thought I was going to space out the updates but I really am just not that good at keeping secrets.
There you guys go!
Enjoy, LoVeLiEs.
Chapter Four, Oct. 5. ;)