Status: Finished

I Will Wait for You

Last Chance

Elizabeth smiled as she petted Percy Blue while he ate a carrot from the palm of her hand. Samuel stared in amazement at his sister and at how comfortable she was around an animal she had never been close to, it was strange to him but still mind-blowing. Percy Blue had been with them for a week now and Andrew hadn’t approached the horse again because he was still upset and throwing a small tantrum at Elizabeth, so she had decided to take care of the horse while her brother acted like a child. The horse was much calmer than before and was growing more and more attached to them and Elizabeth tried not to think too much about Andrew’s lack of interest or constant excuses not to be around Percy Blue by claiming that ‘their father needed him constantly’, which wasn’t true because their father motivated him to get along with the horse but Andrew always found a way to escape, to go to the hills or to the crops or to the village.

“He really does like you, Ellie.” Samuel said speaking lowly. He had finally grown the habit of being calm around the horse.

“Correction: He likes us, Sam.” Elizabeth said as she petted Percy Blue for a last time before going closer to Samuel. “Would you like to feed him?”

“M-me?” Samuel stuttered, his blue eyes staring up at his sister as she smiled at him “Are you sure?”

“Only if you feel comfortable and you’re not afraid Sam. Remember that Blue can sense our emotions and you’ve seen me with him all week, he’s very sweet.” She explained patiently as the boy puffed his chest up and nodded his head.

“I can do it. B-but will you go with me?”

Elizabeth smiled gently at him and nodded, as much as Samuel tried to be a ‘grownup’, a man it were simple moments like these that reminded Elizabeth of how young he still was. She grabbed his hand softly and gave him a carrot for him to carry on his other hand.

“Alright, let’s approach him slowly.” She said as Samuel mimicked her every move.

Percy Blue observed them with his light blue eyes, seeing the female he had grown accustomed to bring forth a small boy he recognized. Elizabeth soothed her brother as she placed her other right hand on Percy Blue’s forehead and slowly ran it down to his nostril. The horse was breathing deeply, a bit noisily but he was calm. Seeing that he didn’t flinch away, Elizabeth encouraged her brother to place the carrot closer to Blue’s mouth.

Samuel swallowed the lump in his throat and stretched his arm upwards slowly while his other hand grabbed tightly onto his sister’s. Elizabeth smiled as her hand ran over Blue’s ear and mane and then his neck, completely soothing the horse. They heard Blue take the first bite and Samuel smiled widely, looking up happily at his sister. “I can’t believe I did that!” Samuel said once Elizabeth closed the wooden bars to keep Blue inside a controlled space.

“I knew you could do it.” She replied smiling widely as the small boy wrapped his arms around her waist and burying his face into the fabric of her dress.

She placed her hand on his hair and the other on his back as he grasped tightly onto her.

“Thank you Ellie!” Samuel said as he looked up and she caressed his cheek. “Do you think that we can ride Blue someday?”

“That you’ll have to ask Andrew.” She said shrugging her shoulders as the little boy pouted.

“You’re a much better teacher.” He pointed out making her laugh.

“But I don’t know how to ride a horse, Sam.” Elizabeth chuckled and Samuel sighed.

“And does Andrew?” Samuel retorted making Elizabeth think for a minute.

“I don’t think so… I’ll ask him tonight. Now go play while I help mom inside, alright?”

♣♣♣


“How are things going with the beast?” Andrew asked sarcastically as he caught his sister alone washing the dishes after dinner while their father had already gone to bed and their mother was outside watching and trying to catch a few fireflies.

“Don’t call him a beast because of that one time. He had just gotten here, please be more understanding, Andrew.” Elizabeth stated seriously as she turned her face to look into her brother’s eyes and saw him move uncomfortably, he hated when she was right in lecturing him “He’s actually a fine animal, very sweet when he’s calm.”

“Have you been around him all week?” Andrew asked with surprise and Elizabeth nodded her head.

“Someone had to feed him, nurture him and move him around a bit.” She replied shortly.

“He didn’t kick you? Hurt you? You weren’t afraid? That horse is much stronger than you, it could have smashed you!” Andrew said getting alarmed.

“I’m in one piece, aren’t I?” Elizabeth replied raising her voice a bit, Andrew was completely overreacting “He wasn’t a menace for me at all because I’m not a menace for him. He’s not afraid of me.”

“Are you saying that the bloody horse is afraid of me?!”

“In a way, yes! You weren’t exactly friendly were you?”
Andrew scuffed, knowing that his sister was right. He shrugged his shoulders.

“Fine, I’ll try to behave better.” He mumbled “Sammy told me the name you gave him: Percy Blue. I actually like it.” He said, trying to hide his smile due to his pride.

“It all came from Sam’s mind.” Elizabeth smiled softly “By the way, he asked me if you can ride a horse?”

Andrew opened his mouth to speak and then closed it, shaking his head. ‘Perfect’ Elizabeth thought sarcastically as she rolled her eyes.

♣♣♣


“Alright, Blue, today we are trying something new. It’s just the both of us, so I think it can work.” Elizabeth said softly as she petted Blue’s head while sighing as she rose a rope in her hands with a knot to put around his head, so he didn’t run away from her.

Seeing the foreign object, Percy Blue raised his head high and let out a high-pitched whinny, stepping back from Elizabeth who cringed a bit and throw the rope behind her back, trying to settle him down.

Suddenly she heart galloping and as she turned her head towards the entrance of the barn, she a radiant looking Albert approaching while riding his horse. She gasped in surprise as she heard a low rumble escape Blue’s nostrils and as she turned to him, the horse had become completely excited as if he knew the other one.

“Shouldn’t Andrew be there instead of you?” Albert asked as he climbed down of his horse and petted him, while bringing him closer to his friend and her horse.

“Long story, Albie.” Elizabeth signed as she petted Blue, the horse leaning more against her touch as Albert stared with a smile at them.

“He seems to like you.” Albert pointed out as Elizabeth sighed.

“I am quite fond of him.” Elizabeth smiled honestly “But he doesn’t let me put a rope around him or do anything else but pet him or feed him.”

“Why do you want to put a rope on him?” Albert questioned.

“To take him to the backyard, there he has more space to run around a bit. I think he needs more activity than this space can provide.” She said as she sighed again.

“And what about riding him? Are you going to do it?”

Elizabeth widened her eyes slightly as she looked at Blue and frowned.

“I don’t believe so, I don’t have the slightest idea of what to do.”

“What about if I help you do it?” Albert offered with a bright as his friend turned to him with a surprised look.

“Are you serious?” She asked as he nodded his head proudly while patting his horse’s side.

“I bet that your horse will feel safer if mine is around and if he sees me riding Joey, he’ll feel better about having someone riding him. What’s his name, by the way?”

“Percy Blue.” Elizabeth replied with a wide smile as she felt excitement run all over her.

That afternoon went much better than both Albert and Elizabeth had hoped, even her mother and Samuel were shocked as they peeked through the kitchen window to see the girl commanding the horse around her as if she was expert. Joey’s presence made Blue feel much more comfortable and he cooperated in everything, including putting a rope around his neck so that Elizabeth could softly guide him.

“Great Ellie. You are a natural.” Albert grinned as he saw his friend conducting Percy Blue to trot in circles around her. She smile, her eyes never leaving her horse.

“I never thought he would behave this well. Joey is definitely a good influence.” She commented as Albert nodded his head.

“Ready to try and ride him?” Albert asked as Elizabeth’s breath hitchhiked. Blue felt something different and turned his gaze towards, the person who was to him, his master. A low rumble erupted from him, almost in acceptance.

“Are you sure?” Elizabeth asked towards Albert as he nodded.

Samuel and his mother glanced at one another and kept quiet. The suspense build up immensely as Andrew and their father entered the house.

“What’s going on? Why is Albert here?” Their father asked as he approached his wife and then stared at his daughter.

“And why is he near my horse?” Andrew asked as his father failed to grab him before he stormed out of the house.

Albert approached Elizabeth with Joey by his side. He explained to Elizabeth how things were done and she nodded her head in agreement. As he prepared to pick her to place her on Blue’s back, he was stopped by Andrew’s heavy hand on his shoulder.

“What are you doing Albert?” He questioned with a serious tone as Elizabeth turned to her brother, it was the first time she heard that tone come from his mouth.

“Oh hello Andrew! I was going to teach Elizabeth to ride.” Albert said, always sounding so naïve when he was smarter than most thought.

“Elizabeth?” Andrew asked in confused and then he started to laugh “Don’t be ridiculous Albie, women don’t ride horses.”

Elizabeth growled visibly at him as her eyes narrowed “And why not?” She asked breaking the eye contact between the males, who were eyeing each other so intently that they seemed to be pondering the chance of a fight starting.

“Because you’re too sensible and fragile to handle such beasts.” Andrew replied simply as he patted Blue with force, the horse whining slightly, earning a glare from Andrew.

“Oh really?” Elizabeth replied sarcastically “Then how come Percy Blue is already frightening just by your touch?”

Andrew glared at her and took the rope from her hand.

“I’ll show you if he’s frightened.” Andrew hissed as he forced his weight onto Blue’s back.

Albert pulled Elizabeth behind as Andrew kicked Blue’s side and the horse released a high-pitched whine while raising his head up. Suddenly he started using his hooves to kick and strike and as Andrew forced him to move, the horse became out of control and threw Andrew off his back violently, almost kicking him in the process.

Elizabeth’s mother screamed as she saw her older son fall on the floor motionless. Elizabeth ran towards her brother as Albert went to get Percy Blue and calm him down.

“Andrew!” Elizabeth yelled as she kneeled beside him to realize that he was fine, only his arm was hurt.

“Don’t touch me.” He hissed as their mother arrived soon after and cradled him closer to her, helping him stand while muttering that he needed a doctor.

Elizabeth frowned as she saw her father grab Percy Blue and she felt her heart sink immediately as the man started taking the horse out.

“Dad! Please dad! Don’t!” Elizabeth yelled as she ran after her father.

“Elizabeth, if the horse isn’t of any value to us, I’m selling him back. Your brother is probably injured so now I’m alone in the work.” The man said patiently, breaking his heart to see his daughter almost crying over the house, the bond was more than evident to everyone.

“What if I train him? I’ve trained Joey to help around.” Albert proposed, earning her father’s attention.

“Albert…” He sighed heavily.

“Please Mr. Davis, give me a chance.” Albert said with hope in his eyes.

“And who will ride him? He's a young horse and he needs exercise but I’m too old and I’m sure that Andrew won’t be able to do it, even if he wants to. The horse rejects him completely.” The man pointed out.

“I will.” Elizabeth said, both males turning to face her. “Blue and I get along great and if Albert can teach me to ride, I’ll do it.”

“I give you two days. Nothing more Elizabeth or the horse is gone.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
I'm sorry for not having Captain Nicholls in this chapter but I needed to write about Elizabeth and Blue's bond. From now on the Captain is coming up so brace yourselves eheh
Inspiration for this story is finally taken over me so I'll try to update often but expect more towards the end of the week due to college.
I love you all, thank you so much for subscribing and reading! Thank you teenagedream91 for your comments, bless you darling!