Status: Semi-hiatus due to school, sorry about the wait!!

Shift

Chapter Eight

“So please, tell me again what exactly you were doing in the alley?” Professor Xavier gave the girl in front of him a kind, knowing smile. She fidgeted nervously in her chair.

*He won’t read my mind without my permission, unless he thinks it’s really serious… but what do I tell him? He’ll either think I’m crazy or know that I’m lying, and I don’t want to share my sister just yet. She’s the only family I have now, they’ll take that away from me if they find out the truth!*

Sophie was frantically trying to think of a plausible solution for her dilemma, when suddenly she was saved by Scott contacting the Professor.

“You’re going to want to see this. We just decrypted the flash drive, and we found something big.”

The professor swiftly dismissed Sophie, promising to talk to her again shortly, and sent her to bed, as she thanked the heavens for getting her out of that sticky situation and wondering what she was going to tell Eva.

Charles quickly moved to the computer lab, where the other X-men were analyzing the data on the screens before them. “What do we have?”

Forge gestured to the main display in the center of the room. “It appears to be the plans for a biological weapon, one that they were going to manufacture and either sell to the highest bidder or use as a bargaining chip.”

“What do you mean, were? They didn’t succeed?”

Forge looked grim. “Unfortunately, no. The head technician at the lab was apparently an innocent civilian who caught wind of the true nature of the experiments, and HYDRA ordered him killed. However, the lab was destroyed in the process, and the virus was released.”

He opened a new file on the display. “These appear to be cases of infections that this Vendetta character believes are caused by the virus. None of them really seem to stand out, except this one. A pregnant woman died shortly after giving birth, and her infant daughter appeared to show symptoms of the virus. According to other records, she’s alive, but has been hospitalized for her entire life, due to a severely weakened immune system. The child’s family appears to have covered up her illness for some reason, though, as there are no news reports about it.”

Logan, who had entered the room sometime during the middle of the conversation, broke in. “Get to the point, Forge, we haven’t got all day!”

Sighing, Forge looked at him sympathetically. “You’re not going to like this.”

“And why would that be?” Logan growled.

“Because the child’s name is Amelia Sterling. She’s Senator Sterling’s granddaughter.”

Logan’s eyes widened. “You mean…?”

Scott’s face darkened. “We think your friend Stella might be involved in this somehow. We have to find her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this instead of working on my summer assignment, so you're welcome!

Also, the plot's just going to get weirder after this, so brace yourselves!