Status: Completed 7/5/2014

Left on the Sidelines

You're Just a Daydream Away

-Danielle-

"Wait, wait, wait. MTV wants to do a show about me?" I asked. I was beyond confused, but with good reason. I was just signed to the label and only graduated high school and not even a week ago and now MTV, one of the most popular television shows ever, wanted to do a show about me?

"Yes," Zach nodded simply. The label decided that since Zach was one of the people who had spent the most time with me and had a music style pretty similar to Hot Chelle Rae that he would be my manager as well.

"Why me though?"

"They want to do a documentary type series on an artist during the making of their album and since your album is the label's most recent project, they've asked if you would be interested in being filmed for the show," he explained.

"Oh my God," I nodded quickly, "I would love to!"

He smiled, "Awesome! I'll let them know! They should be at your place by 11 tomorrow."

"Thank you, Zach!" I shouted as I ran out of the office. I drove home as quickly as I could without getting into any trouble and parked in my usual spot before running to the back of the building where everyone was hanging out around the fire pit.

"Hey!" Nash said cheerfully as soon as he saw me, "How did-"

I cut him off, too excited to let him finish as I came to an abrupt stop in front in everyone, screaming, "MTV wants to do a show about me!"

"Are you serious?!" Katia yelled happily.

"Yes!" I squealed, "They want to a documentary kinda thing while an artist records their album and they picked me!"

"Danielle, that's amazing! Congratulations!" Ian grinned, getting up and hugging me tightly, quickly followed by everyone else as they joined together for a group hug.

"Thanks, guys," I smiled, "And you do realize that you're all going to be part of the show, right?"

"No, we're not!" they shouted in unison.

"Yes, you are!" I mocked. "It is pretty much just a reality show and you guys are a part of my reality," I laughed, "Make sure you're up by 11 tomorrow because that's when the crew is supposed to be here!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, the camera crew showed up at our apartment and got right to filming. Nash left for a band meeting about half an hour later, so we took the opportunity to do a one-on-one interview. I led Angie and Jared - the producer and cameraman who would be with Nash and I throughout filming - to the studio we made out of the guest bedroom.

"And Nash built this?" Angie asked after the camera had been set up.

"We both did," I nodded, "He said wanted a little studio here because he prefers to work from home, but I know it's really because he hates leaving the comfort of knowing the food isn't so bad," I giggled quietly, shaking my head.

"What about you?"

I shrugged, "I'm sure he hates leaving me too, but he knows that I like to be alone sometimes, so I don't look too much into it. Plus, I tend to write better when no one is around."

She simply nodded and changed the subject, "Alright, why don't we start with your introduction and go from there?"

"My name is Danielle Myers, I'm 18 years old, and I was born in Nashville, Tennessee and raised in a small town in Southwestern Indiana you've never heard of," I shrugged a little, smiling.

"Tell me how you met everyone."

"Well, Jamie and Ryan are my cousins and I moved back to Tennessee to live with them to kinda get used to Nashville before college. I met Jenna and Katia on the plane there, Caity and Maren when I started school, and Nash, Ian, and Cameron are part of the band and crew, so I guess the rest is history."

"The guys have been getting more popular since the release of Tonight Tonight, would you say the popularity has put a strain on any of you in any way?"

"Oh, absolutely not," I shook my head, "They love what they do and so do the other girls and I. They've worked so hard to get to this point and I don't think they can ever see themselves doing anything but this. I'm sure they'll stop touring one day, but I don't think they'll ever stop making music."

"Now, I hear you have a musical background as well which has pretty much led up to this moment in your life. Why don't you tell me about that?"

"I would hardly say I have a background in music," I laughed, "I've always loved singing, but until I met these guys, I never really considered a career with it."

"So what changed your mind?"

"The first time I ever sang in front of people was when I realized I loved to perform, but I recently sang Why Don't You Love Me with Nash on Taylor Swift's tour and I met a fan of mine during it as well and I think those moments were what really made me want to pursue a career with it."

We talked for a little while longer before Nash came home. We didn't do much after that, to be honest, we really just ate and watched TV. There was a release party for Hot Chelle Rae's newest album that we would be going to in a couple days and we didn't really want to do anything too crazy.

*The next day*

"I'll be back later," I told Nash and Ryan, "Don't get into too much trouble. I don't feel like hiding any bodies."

"I can't believe that after all this time, you don't trust us to be alone," Ryan gasped.

"Oh, I trust you alone, just not when you're alone together," I teased.

I kissed Nash's cheek and was about to head to the studio with Angie, Jared, and a second cameraman named Michael when Ryan exclaimed, "I don't even get a goodbye?!"

"I love you, Ryan!" I laughed, closing the door behind me. When we got to the studio, I met Justin - the audio engineer who would be working with me on the album - in the lobby and he led me to the room where we would be writing and recording. We walked into the room and I saw MacKenzie already sitting there, patiently waiting for me. I squealed in excitement as he smiled, standing up and giving me a hug.

"This is Angie, Jared, and Michael, the people from MTV I told you about," I introduced him. He gave me a look and I looked at Angie, Jared, and Michael, motioning to MacKenzie and rolling my eyes, "This is my best friend in the entire world, MacKenzie Bourg." He smiled victoriously as he shook their hands.

"Do you think it would be possible for us to get a quick interview before you two start writing?" Angie asked him. He looked at me and I nodded, chuckling.

"I have a couple songs to record, so go right ahead," I smiled, "I'm sure I'll be done by the time you get back."

"Michael," Angie said, "Make sure you get some shots while she's inside the recording booth." He nodded quickly and they left the room as I trotted over to Justin.

"Ready?" he asked. I nodded. "What song do you want to record first?"

I thought for a moment, "Let's do Just Keep Breathing."

"Alright," he smiled, "Head on in there."

"I'm not too close, am I?" Michael asked nervously as he stood beside me.

"First day on the job?" I chuckled, picking up my headphones and putting them on.

"Yeah..." he trailed off quietly.

"You're fine," I smiled, "I'm no stranger to cameras."

Justin hit play on the track that was just me playing guitar - as were the rest of the songs since the girls hadn't been able to record their part since they were still learning them. After I finished, went back in and listened to the playback so we could decide where harmonies would go and whatnot. After that was decided, I recorded harmonies and listened to the playback again.

"That's beautiful," I grinned widely, giving him a high five, "We must take a selfie to celebrate!" He simply laughed as I pulled my phone out of my pocket and snapped a picture, posting it to Twitter.

@MissDanielle137: Just finished recording the first song for the album. No big deal. #JustKeepBreathing

After tweeting, I went back into the recording booth and we did main vocals for Fall For You and Honestly.

-MacKenzie-

We went to the room directly across the hall and sat down at the table, getting right to the interview.

"Why don't you introduce yourself and tell us how you know Danielle?" Angie said when we got settled.

"Well, I'm MacKenzie Bourg. I met Danielle a little less than two years ago when she started going to my school back in Tennessee and we've been best friends ever since," I answered, smiling.

"How well do you think this album will do?"

"I think it's going to raise the bar for any albums released after it," I answered honestly, "It could be three months or two years or now, but she's not going to stop until she's absolutely 100% in love with it. I think what I admire most about her is her dedication. She puts every ounce of-" I paused, trying to find the right word, "-passion she has into her songs. I'm excited to be able to write with her. I don't know what kind of direction we're going to go as of right now whether it's a love song or an angry kind of song or just a song you can't help but dance to, but I know that whatever it is, it's going to be amazing because she's an amazing songwriter." I smiled and we continued with the interview for a couple more minutes before going back and watching Danielle finish recording.

-Danielle-

While we were writing, I snuck a picture of MacKenzie as he was strumming his guitar and writing notes on the sheet music in front of him. He looked up when my phone made the capture sound and I tossed it on the table, raising my eyebrows at him.

"What?" I asked innocently.

He chuckled before turning his attention back to the papers scattered in front of him, "I'm about to get a Twitter notification, aren't I?"

"You know," I squeaked, picking up my phone and opening Twitter, "There are some things in life that are insignificant and shouldn't be worried about."

@MissDanielle137: Life currently @bourgmackenzie

As soon as I sent the tweet, his phone vibrated on the table. He looked at me again, obviously trying not to smile as I did the same.

"Wasn't me," I shrugged.

He looked at his phone, "That looks an awful lot like your Twitter handle to me."

"Must be someone pretending to be me."

"See, that would be believable if it weren't for the fact that this photo is of this room, I'm in the exact clothes I'm wearing now, my guitar is still in my lap, and it was taken from right where you're sitting."

I gasped, "I am deeply hurt by these outrageous accusations!"

He chuckled again, shaking his head, "Get back to writing, missy."

"You're so controlling," I sighed dramatically.

"Someone's gotta keep you in line," he laughed, winking at me.

A few minutes later, I got a Twitter notification from MacKenzie. I raised my eyebrows at him and he shrugged, looking away. I opened Twitter and the first tweet I saw was his with a photo of me attached to it.

@bourgmackenzie: Writing session with the prettiest person I know. And look! @MissDanielle137 is here too!

I laughed loudly, "You're such a dick."

"But you love me," he smiled sweetly.

"That doesn't mean you're not a dick," I giggled, sticking my tongue out at him before we got back to writing.

Around two hours later, we had finally finished the song and it was time to record. We recorded the instrumental - we decided to keep this song acoustic - and listened to playback before I grabbed MacKenzie's hand and pulled him to the recording booth. I could tell he was about to ask what was going on, so I told him before he could.

"You didn't think we were going to write a song for my album and not sing on it together, did you?" I grinned. He simply chuckled and shrugged in response. We decided that since it was my album, I would sing the first verse, he would sing the second verse and add harmonies during the chorus, and we would just sing together for the rest of it. We put our headphones on and Justin started the track.

I wish you could see your face right now
Cause you're grinning like a fool
And we're sitting on your kitchen floor
On a Tuesday afternoon

It doesn't matter when we get back
To doing what we do
Cause right now could last forever
Just as long as I'm with you

You're just a daydream away
I wouldn't know what to say if I had you
And I'll keep you a daydream away
Just to watch from a safe place
So I never have to lose

We would go out on the weekend
To escape our busy lives
And we'd laugh at all the douchebag guys
Chasing down their desperate wives

I would drink a little too much
And you would offer me a ride
And I would offer you a t-shirt
And you would stay another night

But you're just a daydream away
I wouldn't know what to say if I had you
And I'll keep you a daydream away
Just to watch from a safe place
So I never have to lose

We never stood a chance out there
Shooting love in real-time
So we'll take it over ice tonight
With a little salt and a little lime

You're just a daydream away
I wouldn't know what to say if I had you
And I'll keep you a daydream away
Just to watch from a safe place
So I never have to lose

You're just a daydream away
I wouldn't know what to say if I had you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You should come back to my place so we can play the song for everyone!" I hinted hopefully as MacKenzie and I left the studio a while later.

"Is it because you don't want them to bother you about playing it every day until it airs on the show?" he chuckled, shaking his head.

"You know me so well," I sighed. Angie, Jared, and Michael got into my car with me while MacKenzie followed me in his own. Once we arrived back home, we grabbed our guitars out of our trunks and I led them to the back of the building where everyone was sitting around a bonfire.

"I come bearing an exciting surprise!" I announced as soon I turned the corner. We made our way over to them and everyone happily greeted MacKenzie as well as Angie, Jared, and Michael.

"Does this surprise involve the song you two wrote today?" Nash asked, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind.

"Well, it's not a surprise anymore," I frowned, wiggling out of his grasp and sitting on an empty log by the fire. Nash grinned, sitting to my right and MacKenzie sat to my left.

"We hope you guys like this because we've already recorded it and it's officially on the album, so there's really no going back," MacKenzie chuckled and we started playing.

After we played the song for everyone, Jenna jokingly asked, "So who did you write that about?"

"Demi Lovato," I sighed dramatically, earning a confused look from everyone aside from MacKenzie who looked like he was about to implode from holding in his laughter. "I only hope I can be as hot as her one day."

"Babe-" Nash started before I cut him off.

"Don't say anything," I said, holding my index finger to his lips, "Because I know the next thing out of your mouth is gonna be a lie."

"You are as hot as her," he smiled.

"Called it," I sang, taking my finger away from his mouth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The next day; Right before the release party*

I looked in the mirror and quietly said to my reflection, "Well, Danielle. This is about as good as it's gonna get." I sighed, grabbing my bag from it's spot on the bed before looking at myself again, fixing my dress, and walking out into the living room where everyone was waiting.

"Whoa," Nash whispered, probably hoping it was quiet enough that I couldn't hear him. He walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, "You look gorgeous." I smiled shyly, quietly thanking him and we set off for the party.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing too exciting had happened thus far; Just a lot of congratulating and explaining why cameras were following us around which resulted in even more congratulating.

"Thank you," I smiled after being congratulated for what seemed like the thousandth time after telling someone about my signing.

"Are you okay?" Nash whispered in my ear, wrapping his arms around my waist as the person walked away.

"Yeah," I sighed, "I just... This is your night and people should be focusing on you and not why there are cameras here and I just feel bad, I guess."

He chuckled, squeezing me lightly, "Babe, we're all happy for you. Getting a record deal and a TV show is a big deal, we can't just pretend it's not happening!"

"I know, but-"

"No buts! We're here to enjoy the night and party on the rooftop!" I looked down, attempting not to smile at his Tonight Tonight reference, but failing miserably. "I knew that would get you," he smiled proudly, kissing my cheek, "Come on! Let's go dance!"

"You can," I told him, "I just want to sit down for a bit. My feet are killing me."

"Then why did you wear heels?" he laughed.

"Because they're cute! But I forgot to break them in, so now they're hurting my feet," I giggled. "I'll be fine. Now go party on the rooftop," I teased, kissing his cheek before he walked to where Ryan, Jamie, and Ian were on the dance floor with the rest of the girls.

"Whatchya doing over here, Montgomery?" I asked, plopping onto the barstool beside Cameron.

"Not really much of a dancer. What about you? You're always dancing," he chuckled.

"Heels," I laughed quietly.

"Say no more," he grinned, "You know what I don't get?" I looked at him as if to tell him to continue and he did, "Why do girls wear heels? Like, they don't seem the least bit comfortable and it looks like they really hurt your ankle walking on the front of your feet all night."

"They're not so bad once you get used to them," I shrugged.

"You mean once you become numb to the pain?"

"Basically," I answered. We laughed and I saw him look behind me and his smile turned into an almost shocked yet confused expression.

-Cameron-

"Cam, are you okay?" Danielle asked slowly before turning around to see what I was looking at. When she did, her mouth dropped open as she saw Natalie with her arms latched around Nash's waist. "Are you fucking serious right now?!" she shouted, pulling off her shoes and throwing them on the ground, rushing over to where they were on the dance floor with me not far behind. Much to my relief - and I'm sure hers as well, Nash hadn't stopped trying to get Natalie off of him since the moment he realized it wasn't Danielle.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Danielle yelled, stopping abruptly about three feet away from them, causing everyone to stop what they were doing and look at us.

"I'm at a party with my date, silly!" she grinned evilly.

"He is not your date," she growled at her, "And you've got three seconds to let go of him before I rip you apart."

"You wouldn't do that with all these people and cameras around, would you?" Natalie smirked, still holding onto Nash.

"Try me," Danielle muttered through clenched teeth.

"Game on," Natalie said and, in an attempt to call her bluff, began leaning in what seemed like slow motion toward Nash to kiss him and that's when all hell broke loose. I grabbed Danielle's waist just as she began lunging toward Natalie.

"Cameron!" she yelled, "Let go!" Obviously, I didn't. I knew what was going to happen if I did and I didn't want her to be put in jail for assault or anything of the sort. Nash instantly slapped his free hand over Natalie's mouth just before she reached his lips and pushed her back.

"Don't you wanna kiss me, babe?" she pouted.

"Don't call him that!" Danielle screamed, still struggling to get out of my grasp.

"No, I don't," Nash told her, "Because I'm not a cheater."

"Really?" she laughed, "Because that's not what I remember."

"Maybe that's because you drugged him," Danielle sneered. Although she had calmed down slightly when she realized I wasn't going to let go, I still held onto her just in case Natalie tried to push her buttons even more.

"What?" she gasped, still managing to keep her lies going, "I would never!"

"The great thing about being with someone for a year is that you learn things about them. And what I've learned about Nash is that no matter how much he drinks the night before, he will always remember what he did when he wakes up the next morning."

"So?" she laughed, "It's not like you can prove it."

"That's a funny story actually," Danielle laughed in the same tone, "We called his brother and he seemed to have the same symptoms; Nausea, dizziness, headache. I gotta give you credit for it though. Drugging both of them so neither of them would remember you? Genius. Probably would have worked too if it weren't for the fact that Chord watched you do it. He told the bartender, of course, but you were gone with the half-filled glasses before they could even blink. They turned around and went back to their conversation. And why wouldn't they? Their drinks were exactly how they left them, weren't they?" You could tell Natalie was becoming nervous the longer Danielle talked when she finally let go of Nash. "Nope," Danielle shook her head, "They weren't the same. Because you snuck behind them while they were talking to the bartender and you switched their drinks to look exactly the way they looked when they took their eyes off of them and you waited for the drugs to kick in before pretending that you were my friend so Chord would leave and you could take Nash home. You drove him home in his car, you took him to the bedroom, and you walked out back out right after I'd gotten home and let me believe he cheated on me. Didn't you?" Natalie remained silent, but it was painfully obvious everything that was said was dead on. "Didn't you?!" Danielle shouted angrily, more than ready for Natalie to finally fess up.

"Fine!" she shouted back, "I did it! And it worked, didn't it?! I broke you two up before and I can do it again, Danielle!" Two police officers came over and began escorting Natalie away.

As they passed Danielle and I, she looked Natalie directly in the eyes and smirked, "Game over." As soon as she was gone, I let go of Danielle and she ran the few feet to Nash, crashing into him and hugging him tightly. He sighed in relief, clearly happy to have Natalie's grip be replaced by his girlfriend's and hugged her back.

"If it makes you feel any better," Nash mumbled into her hair, "You're really hot when you're mad." She bit her lip, trying to fight back a smile as Nash grinned, taking her face in his hand and making her look up at him. "I love you," he said and leaned down to kiss her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title and song used: A Daydream Away by All Time Low

bet you didn't see that coming
I'm all about the snarky comebacks.

Outfits:
Danielle: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=123919362
Jenna: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=123918737
Katia: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=123918854
Caity: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=123918584
Maren: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=123919057