When You're Right, You're Wrong

Thing Always Hurt Worse When You're Not Expecting It

“So,” I said pulling the paper back to my side of the table and grabbed a pen. “If we move this ramp here, I think we can hit it and get enough air to be able to get ourselves in the middle of the canyon so we won’t have to worry about the wall.” I scribbled out the plan as I talked, looking up at him every now and then. He had a huge smile plastered on his face.

“Do you really think we can pull this off?” He asked quickly looking down at the paper.

“I think it’s possible. I’m going to give it to Jeremy so he can make the final touches to it.

“Okay then, so what are we going to do tonight?” He asked grabbing my hand and lacing his fingers through mine.

“What do you have in mind?” I replied

“I was thinking we could have a movie marathon?” He said.

“Sounds good to me.”

“Travis!” I winced at the high-pitched squealing that was right next to me. I turned to see a big haired brunette with nails so long that I’d be surprised if she could pick anything up. “Travis, honey, it’s so good to see you!” I looked over at him, he had a mixture of surprise, horror and confusion splashed across his face.

“Mandy?” He asked; a slight hint of confusion in his voice.

“Don’t tell me you forgot about me?” She squeaked moving to sit down next to him her high heels preventing her from moving very fast. He turned to face her, not looking quite sure what was going to happen. I coughed causing her to look at me. She gave me the dirtiest look I was sure she could muster. “Who are you?” She asked clearly uninterested.

“I am Travis’s girlfriend and business partner and we were right in the middle of discussing business.” I said returning her dirty look.

“I’m sure you were.” She said turning back to Travis and her voice getting squeakier, “How long has it been? We need to go catch up!”

“I think I’m going to go. I’ll talk to you later.” I said grabbing my bag and standing up. I dropped a few bills on the table and started walking away.

“Lucy!” Travis shouted. I ignored him and walked out of the diner. I climbed into my truck and quickly backed out of the space and took off out of the parking lot.

My phone beeped a couple minutes later. I checked it to see a text from Travis.
Are we still on for later? He asked. I tossed my phone into the passenger seat. I really wanted nothing to do him.

I pulled into the driveway of the house that I was renting. I put the car in park and rested my head on the steering wheel. Tears started flowing freely. I sobbed, letting out all the emotion. I took a deep breath and wiped my face before getting out of the car. I walked into the house and went directly up the stairs.

~~

I woke up, still in my clothes from last night. I quickly changed into some gear and headed back to the compound. I got one of my bikes out of the shed and headed out to the track as far away from the house as I could. I warmed my bike up before I started taking jumps. I decided to try and do a front flip. I lined myself up with the ramp. I took a deep breath and gunned it.

I hit the ramp and pushed myself forward. The ground came up faster than I expected. I landed on my shoulder and sent myself into a spin. The bike came down hard on my legs and bounced off. I kept going and broke through the fence. I stopped just short of the lake and stayed there. Even though I had my eyes closed I could still see the sun. I couldn’t feel my body. I didn’t really think I wanted too. I had a feeling after a fall like that I was going to be in a lot of pain later.

Someone started calling my name in the distance. I could hear footsteps pounding. I let my head roll to the side and something wet started to roll down my cheek. The footsteps got closer and the hood on my helmet was flipped up.

“Lucy! Are you okay?” The voice said. I opened my eyes to see Andy standing there. I sat up, slowly testing my body. Nothing felt broken so I assumed I was safe. Andy helped me up while Jim pulled my arm around his shoulder and together they both helped me walk back to the house.

The boys set me down in a chair in the kitchen. I looked down at my shirt and saw that it was covered in blood. Jim helped me get my helmet off. The air stung my chin. Andy came over with a washcloth and placed it in hand before pushing my hand to my chin. He stood back and leaned against the counter with his arms crossed over his chest and a frown on his face.

“What the hell was that?” He asked sternly.

“I was trying to do a front flip.” I said matter of factly.

“Without training it in the foam pit? Without having a spotter? Are you trying to kill yourself?” He said angrily. “You are lucky Jim and I were in the kitchen and saw your bike fly up! What if you had broken your neck and no one knew you were out there?”

“Figured I could do it.” I replied with a shrug.

“Now I know you’re not that stupid. Whats going on?” He sat down in the chair next to me.

“Nothing. I just made a mistake.” I said just as Travis walked in. I looked up at him then quickly looked away. “I’m going to go clean this up.” I said pushing my chair back and hurrying out of the room. I walked into the bathroom and closed the door, locking it. I dropped the bloody washcloth into the skin then looked at myself in the mirror. My face and neck was covered in blood, along with my shirt. I wiped the blood off my face and walked back out. Everyone else had arrived while I was cleaning up and they were all outside by the foam pit. I hurried out and stood by Jolene. She looked at my chin and shook her head.

“I think we need to talk a bit.” She said grabbing my arm and pulling me around the corner. “Andy told me about your little stunt this morning. What is going on with you?”

“Nothing.” I said looking out at Travis, Andy, Jim and Tommy. They were standing in a circle, undoubtedly planning who was going to do what.

“Nothing my ass! Spill!” She said making me look at her.

“I just had a dumb moment. I figured I could do a front flip since I knew how to do a backflip. That’s it!” I said throwing my hands in the air.

“Travis!” Someone shouted behind me. It was that same high-pitched squeaky voice from yesterday. I turned to see Mandy standing there. She was running her hand up and down his arm. He turned and gave her a hug. I felt my blood boil. Tears stung my eyes.

“Ah. I see now.” Jolene said pulling me into a hug.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I said walking away from her.
♠ ♠ ♠
**Subscribe and Rate!!!