Status: Sorry for the super long hiatus, I should have an update tomorrow!

The Right Partner

It only took a punch.

“Hey Flo! Over here!” Turning around, Florence quickly spotted her friend. Arms waving wildly above her head, the tall blonde beamed prettily down at her. Hurrying over, they linked arms and began their gaunt to the excitement happening in the middle of town. “Who is going to be there this time Holls?” The blonde almost swooned as she looked over, stopping momentarily to smile even wider. “Howard Stark! The Howard Stark! Come on! We've got to hurry! It's about to start!”

Welcome to the Modern Marvels Pavilion and the World of tomorrow!
The com system overheard blared as Holly dropped Florence's arm and ran towards the stage. Smiling at her friend, she hurried behind her only to run into someone. Peanuts flew through the air covering them both as she fell to the ground in an ungraceful heap.

“Oh no, I'm sorry ma'am! So sorry. Here, let me help you up!” A gentle hand tugged on her arm, and she glanced up through her lashes. A thin arm extended upwards and connected to an equally thin chest, which led towards a thin but cute face. A small blush rose to his cheeks at her stare, and the man tried his best to help her up without falling over himself. Obviously flustered, he continued. “I wasn't looking where I was going, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to knock you down ma'am.” Smiling she shook her head and brushed out her dress quickly. “It's okay, don't worry about it. I wasn't paying attention either. I'm sorry about your peanuts!”

The young man in front of her just smiled awkwardly and put his hands in his pockets. Smiling again at his nervousness, she began to hear Mr. Stark in the background talk about flying cars. “I'm Florence by the way, are you okay?” Sticking her hand out, she waited for him to shake her hand. He stared confused for a moment, then quickly shook it. “Steve Rogers ma'am. I'm completely fine, though I should be asking you. Are you okay?” Nodding quickly, she noticed her friends form starting to head back out of the crowd, obviously looking for her. “Oh no! I'm sorry Steve, my friend is looking for me. Sorry again for bumping into you! I hope you have fun tonight!” With a quick smile she runs off leaving the poor man confused and rooted to the spot. Steve had never met a dame like that before.

Holly waved as soon as she spotted Florence, and hugged her when she was within arms reach. “Did you see him?! So dreamy! That's the kind of man I want to marry. A man just like that!” A dreamy sigh escaped her lips and Florence laughed and contemplated telling Holly about her plans. Deciding against it, she linked arms with her friend again and pulled her in the direction of the different displays and inventions.

After a long night of the expo and dancing, Florence returned to her house and quickly packed her bags. She hadn't been accepted into the army yet, but she would. She just knew it. Being prepared was going to make her quick departure easier in the long run. Her father wouldn't know until she was leaving, and he could deal with telling everyone else. If he even remembered that is. Crawling into bed she quickly fell asleep with vague dreams of blue eyes she could almost remember.

_____________________________________________________________

As the sun began to rise, so did Florence. She quickly got ready, changing into a simple skirt and blouse with basic pumps to finish it off. Leaving the house, she hurried down to the recruitment office where the expo was held last night. It wasn't as busy as she imagined, but as soon as she walked in all eyes fell on her. Standing straighter, she walked with purpose up to the man at the counter.

“Can I help you miss?” The man peered down at her small frame, amusement beginning to dance in his eyes. “I want to enlist. Where are the forms I need to fill out?” Laughter met her demand, which only angered the petite girl. Not only was the recruiter laughing, but all of the men watching her from before. “Now miss, why would a dame like you want to enlist? You could be out collecting scraps, dancing for the troops, or hell...get married to a solider. We don't need women serving the country this way.”

Angry at the dismissal and the obvious disrespect, she pulled him down by his tie and punched him square in the nose. “Now sir. I expect you to respect me a bit more. I asked for a form, and I expect to get one. Where is the form I need to fill out?” Letting go of his tie, she smiled as he staggered backwards. Blood started dripping from his nose and he covered his face out of embarrassment. Still he refused though. Unbeknownst to Florence, an older gentleman stood slightly behind a curtain and watched the entire exchange with a small smile on his face. Noticing her resolve, he walked quickly towards her with a form in hand.

“Miss? If you would come with me. I would like to speak with you.” Worry settled onto her face, as the reality of what she just did sank in. Oh Flo, what have you done now? They're going to arrest you for assaulting an officer or something. This is going to ruin my chances of ever getting into the army. What am I going to do-

“Miss? Miss?” Snapping back to attention, she focused on the man. “I'm sorry sir! I'm sorry for what just happened. He deserved it, but that doesn't excuse my behavior-” Smiling, the man cut her off. “Miss. I am Doctor Abraham Erskine. Do not vorry about vat just happened. Now, vhy do you vant to join ze Army? Hmm?” Startled, she studied the man. “Because sir, I want to help my country. I'm tired of my deadbeat father. I want to follow in my brother's footsteps because I know I can.” Nodding, he waited for her to continue. “So...do you vant to kill Nazis?” Stunned that he hadn't laughed her off, she shook her head. “No sir. I don't want to kill anyone really. I just want this all to end, and say I did my part. I don't like bullies sir.”

A smile crept it's way onto his face as he heard the same words for the second time in two days. “Vell, I can give you a chance. Only that. Don't waste it miss...?” “Garland! Florence Garland! Oh thank you so much Doctor!” Barely able to contain her excitement, she flung herself at the older man in a fierce hug. He laughed a bit and patted her back. Stepping away, he grabbed her folder, stamped it, and handed it back. “Good luck Ms. Garland.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well here we go! Chapter two! Sorry if it seems a bit rushed. It's almost 6:30am and I need to sleep. :) Please give me some feedback guys! I'll try to get the next chapter out sometime today!

-H