A Twist In My World

Chapter 1

The few people I have told about my gift have called me crazy, and you may too, but I can both see and communicate with the dead.
Yes I mean ghosts, spirits, apparitions, phantoms, or whatever you may call them; I see and hear them day in and day out. I hear their cries for help and I can see through there eyes of what happened to them in their last moments of life.
I maybe only seventeen, but my parents could no longer stand me in the house. They signed every last form they had to just to get rid of me. I now I live in a one room apartment that is within a mile of everywhere I go.
I was happy to be in my new home away from my parents. I had the place to myself, no one to share it with.
I laid on my sofa and drifted off. I awoke to something smashing against the ground. When I sat up flashes of someone’s past hit me.
The room filled with smoke and I could no longer breathe.
“Dusan, find your brother and get out of here.” A woman called to me.
I ran from room to room not finding anyone. I finally found a small boy huddled in a corner crying. I picked him up and ran out of the burning building cradling him in my arms. After I ran outside I handed him to an officer, then heard a scream from within the building and I ran back in before anyone could stop me.
Only a few feet into the building I found a young woman crying at the bottom of the stairwell.
She jumped up, “My baby! She’s upstairs, the firemen say it is impossible to get to her and they have given up!”
I agreed to get her child at any cost as long as she left the building.
She started to walk out of the building, and I noticed the doorway about to give way. I pushed her through and jumped back right as the exit crumbled to the ground.
I ran up the stairs hearing the baby’s cries, I followed them. I found her in a room that was covered in flames. I grabbed the baby and wrapped her in the blanket. I ran to the window in her room finding that I was on the third floor. With no trees to climb down and no other way out I was forced to make a quick decision. I jumped, and in mind air I twisted letting only my back connect with the ground.
My mind went blank and I again saw my apartment. I wiped the tears from my eyes and tried to calm my racing heart.
“What just happened to you?” A voice asked from behind me.
I ignored him getting up recognizing the room. This is the room I walked into before I found the baby. I walk the same path I did in the flash back and found my room. I looked to the window I had jumped out. I opened the window and leaned out it. Leaning out further I could see the place I had landed.
“What the hell are you doing?!” He screamed.
I was then thrown onto my bed and the window slammed shut then locked. I looked around the room to find where he was. I didn’t sense anger and he didn’t look angry, but I could sense he was upset.
“What was that for?” I asked tilting my head to one side.
“You know I can ask you the same; leaning out the window like a crazy person.”
“I did so to have a clearer look of where you had landed after jumping to save the child.”
“How do you know about that?”
“What looked to as you me sitting up and staring on the sofa was really me seeing into your last moments.”
“Why do you want to know about my past?”
“I’m just curious that’s all.” I smiled.
Sadness burned into his eyes and he disappeared from my sight.
Only a few minutes later there was a knock at the door, so I jumped up to answer it.
“Serena!” Cody shouted out of joy pulling my in to a hug.
I flailed trying to break free from his grasp. “Cody…can’t…breathe…”
“Sorry girlie, I didn’t mean to.” He laughed.
“I know, but still you need to be careful. You’re two hundred pounds of pure muscle, you could kill me with that.” I said playfully.
“Don’t you dare let him in here.” He threatened from behind me.
“I would love to let you in, but the place is a mess from me moving in.” I said looking at the ground.
“That’s alright I was just stopping by to see how things were.” Cody smiled that I know you’re lying, but I won’t ask smiled.
Cody walked away and I shut and locked the door behind me. I walked in to my living room and sat down on the couch. What is his problem? Telling me not to let one of my clients into the apartment that may have been a paycheck for me. Whatever, I’m not in the mood to fight with him right now.
“Sorry for being a jerk about things I just didn’t want to take any chances. I saw a spirit connected to him and couldn’t tell if she would cause you any harm or not.” He mumbled as he appeared in front of me.