Pieces Mended

014

Throughout the band practice, Jade seemed uncomfortable. She kept adjusting her seat, looking as if she were in pain. I was nervous about asking if she was okay, because I didn't want to embarrass her. But I knew that I needed to pull her to the side and question her. I mouthed "be right back," to Quinn, who winked in reply. I chuckled under my breath and rolled my eyes, before grabbing Jade's arm and pulling her inside the house. She gave me a confused look, but I knew inside we'd have privacy to talk.

"Are you okay?" I asked, once I knew there was no one in the house to eaves drop.

"Yeah, I'm fine," She mumbled, but she couldn't keep eye contact, which made me realize she was lying.

"No, you're not. You seem like you're in pain." I tried my best to show her how sincere I was, but I knew that she didn't easily trust anyone. How could she, living on the streets for as long as she did?

She sighed, running her hand through her hair. "I'm fine, I promise." She went to walk back to the garage, but when I went to grab her arm, she pulled away, and my hand slid across her hip. When I looked at my hand, there was a small amount of blood on my fingertips.

"Jade," I gasped, holding my hand in her face. "You are not fine. What happened?"

And it seemed like her bad ass, "I don't need anyone's help" attitude just fell apart. And somehow between her sobs, I managed to figure out what happened. Honestly, I couldn't understand all of it. But I understood that Bert didn't pay for drugs, and Jade paid the price.

"I need to take you to the hospital," I stated, pushing passed her towards the garage.

"No, I don't have the money for that!" She wiped at her eyes, trying desperately to stop crying.

I sighed, knowing she was right. There could be some damage, though. I wondered if I could convince her to at least have my mom look at her. But it wasn't really my secret to tell, so I had to leave it up to her. "Go take a shower. I have some extra clothes in Quinn's car, and I'll let you wear them."

She nodded, and I walked out to Quinn's car to get my bag out of it. Taking out my jeans and shirt, I walked back to the bathroom and knocked lightly. "I'm coming in, Jade. I'm just going to set the clothes on the sink."

She didn't reply, so I cracked the door open only enough to reach my arm through and put the clothes on the sink before shutting the door behind me. When I walked back to the garage, the guys were taking a break.

"Where's Jade?" Jeph asked.

"In the bathroom," I forced a smile, trying my best not to look awkward or give away that something was wrong. "Quinn, can I talk to you real quick?"

"Yep," he smiled, taking my hand and pulled me outside. "What's up, cutie?"

"Can I borrow your car?"

He frowned a little, and I knew what was going to come out of his mouth next. "But that's my baby."

"It's really important. Please, let me borrow it."

It was weird how easily he could read my face already. He was instantly concerned and placed his hands on either side of my face. "What's wrong, Madi?" He asked, staring into my eyes. It sent a chill down my spine, and I immediately leaned up and pressed my lips against his.

"I'm fine," I sighed. "I can't tell you what's going on, but I will bring your car back to you later tonight, okay?"

"Okay," he nodded, still frowning, and kissed me on the forehead.

"Thanks," I hugged him quickly before grabbing his keys and walking back inside to see if Jade was out of the shower.