Status: It's been on my mind for a while now...

One More Day

T W O

Alana had been positive that starting college at only 16 years old would result as a benefit on her side. But all of the stress that came with finishing college studies before the normal expectancy was starting to gain on her. Fortunately for her, she only had one class left in order to finally get her Master’s degree on Psychology. And she had saved the best for last.

As she entered a classroom, Alana chose her seat in the far back right side where she gingerly placed her spiral notebook and simple black ball point pen on the wooden desk in front of her. Being 10 minutes early, she had plenty of time to examine the place. The brightly lit room was filled with similar looking plastic chairs that had small wooden planks attached to them in order to make a table. There were five neat rows with only ten chairs per row. That meant that the class would mostly likely be small, and that was good news for Alana. The smaller amount of people there were, the less trouble she would experience if she were forced to talk in class.

Soon, the class room began to fill with random people who took their seats, prepared for what was to come. The teacher made his appearance a little while after the class room filled up completely, face flushed and sweat coating his forehead. He grabbed a piece of white chalk from his pocket before writing down a mess of scrawled letters on the black board.

With his back to the students, his voice boomed. “Good morning class. My name is Roger Ortega and I will be your Abnormal Psych. teacher for the next 5 months.” He spun around quickly, facing the crowd of students with an eager grin on his face. The room was relatively quiet until a guy wearing a black cap spoke up with a friendly smile.

“Morning, Mr. Ortega.” He said chastely before adding, “My name is Alex.”

Mr. Ortega nodded once approvingly, admiring the boy’s confidence.

“Alright, after I tell you all a little about myself, I want each of you to then tell a little about yourself to the class and myself.” The teacher stood in an anatomical position only to exaggerate his openness. “Well like I said before, my name is Roger. I’ve been teaching psychology courses at this campus for roughly six years. Um… I am married and have three children: two boys and girl- they are my life. And oh, I am originally from San Diego, California.”

After finishing, the teacher waved his left wrist towards the girl that sat on the first chair by the front left side, motioning her to continue with the introductions.

The girl rolled her eyes and stood up reluctantly. “My name’s Manda. I’m 24 and I have a boyfriend.” She sneered at everyone before sitting down back in her seat.

“Okay.” Roger said simply. All the while, many of the other people scoffed or just simply ignored what Manda had said. One by one, each being in the room continued in roll call, saying a few things about themselves to each other even though it was clear that they were not really paying attention.

Finally, it was Alana’s turn to share the wealth of her not so important life to the crowd of oblivious class mates who were too preoccupied by ipod and phone screens that were hidden under tables or covered by folded sweaters.

“Right… Um, my name is Alana. I’m 21? Well I don’t really know what to say that’s interesting. Uh – I have a younger brother named Tristan. And yeah…” Alana shifted awkwardly, she kept her eyes straight above the teacher’s head. Strictly avoiding making eye contact with anyone residing in the room, she shot straight down back into her seat.

Alana waited for people to start whispering insensitive things about her but the room remained echoing sounds of yawns and fingers typing.

“So now that everyone has introduced themselves, class is dismissed. Tomorrow we’ll start with chapter one of the textbook you are all required to get. Right, so long.” The teacher announced.
However, everybody jumped at the sound of the room door slamming open against the wall. A disheveled guy with cheek length dark brown hair rushed in. His tall and slightly lanky body was covered by tank and cardigan, his legs in a pair of skinny jeans all topped off with a pair of beat up black vans.

“Sorry, ‘m late. I got kinda lost- uh looking for the room.” The newcomer whispered sheepishly at the teacher who gaped at him with a confused look on his face.

The room rang with giggling laughter from the crowd of students who witnessed the guy’s dramatic entrance. Alana’s right hand covered her mouth as she too giggled at the guy.

“You’re just in time, son. Now introduce yourself to the class before everyone is free to go.” Roger grinned at the guy then leaned against the black board. He was amused.

“Oh uh, yeah my name’s Matthew, Matt for short. I model for my friend’s clothing line. And I like to party.” Matt grinned shamelessly at the audience in front of him who just happened to have payed attention to his small introduction.