‹ Prequel: A Face to Call Home
Sequel: If I Could Fly
Status: Complete; Want more Kaylin and Harry? New sequel coming soon!

Red.

Ten

Hushed voices were going back and forth in the kitchen as I made my way down the stairs to meet Kay in there. I couldn’t hear what the voices were saying but I knew it was Kaylin and her brother Brian arguing about something. Clearly they didn’t want anyone hearing because they were only whispering harshly to each other. It worried me though. What were they talking about? Did Brian still hate me for hurting his sister that one time? Or were they just bickering like the siblings they were.

“Oh, morning.” Kaylin’s sweet voice sounded strained and her smile forced. Her bright blue eyes ran over my white shirt and grey sweatpants before locking with my eyes.

“Morning, love,” I greeted before kissing her on the top of the head. Brian’s face stayed emotionless when I greeted him. He’s younger than I am, but the boy is six-four and massive, making me feel weak and small.

“Morning,” he said finally without a hint of happiness or anger. I watched Kaylin’s shoulders slump slightly before turning to the refrigerator to pull out some ingredients for breakfast.

“Only two more days till Christmas, you guys excited?” My eyes glanced over at Brian’s face before turning to Kaylin with a small smile.

“Of course,” I responded quietly. I moved next to Kaylin when she began scrambling the eggs in a bowl. “What are you making?”

“I was thinking scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages, and toast?” Her eyes lifted up to meet mine and I nodded in agreement.

“Sounds great. Would you like some help?” I offered but she shook her and pressed her hand to my chest, pushing me out of the kitchen. I let out a low chuckle and walked backwards out of the kitchen, watching her move around. I took a seat at the small table in the breakfast area.

“Tell mom I’ll be back later,” Brian grumbled out before walking out the back door to the garage, letting the door slam shut behind him. I heard his mustang roar to life and take off down the street. I tore my eyes away from the door to look at Kaylin and saw her back lift and fall with a deep sigh.

“So what do yo¬–“

“Is everything o–“ We both said at the same time after a moment of silent.

“Everything’s fine,” she said softly, pouring the scrambled eggs into a pot. “What do you want to do today?” I watched her with weary eyes before getting up and walking up to her. I placed my hands on top of her forearms, stopping her quick movements of shredding some cheese onto a plate. She put the cheese and grater on the plate and dropped her hands onto the counter, gripping the edge with a heavy sigh. I wrapped my fingers around her thin hips, slipping my thumbs under her shirt to rub the warm, soft skin along her hipbones. I pulled her body back into mine and she let her head drop back on my shoulder.

“What’s the matter, love?” I asked, softly wrapping my arms around her waist, locking my fingers over my wrist.

“Nothing, he’s just being a pain. Nothing new.” She tilted her head up to look at me and then placed a soft kiss where she knew drove me crazy. Right under my jaw by my ear. I held back a groan as she pulled herself out of my arms to get back to her cooking.

Instead of returning to my seat, I walked back up the stairs to her old bedroom. I plopped down onto the bed after grabbing the small box from my bag. I kept opening and closing the black velvet box, watching the light reflect off the three diamonds. I pulled the ring out of the box and fell back onto the bed, holding it up above my face. I twisted my fingers slightly, observing the ring at the different angles. The more I stared at the ring, the more I couldn’t believe I was actually going to do this on this holiday with her.

Eleanor and I spent hours, days, looking for the perfect ring for Kay. I needed it to be everything she has ever wanted. El and I spent hours arguing over what size the diamond should, whether it should be gold or platinum, or if it should be simple or more extravagant.

I still haven’t gotten the chance to talk to her dad about it, but I got her mum alone that night we came in. She was delighted when I asked her for her blessing, which made a little weight release from my shoulders. She gushed over the ring when I showed her, telling me that Kaylin will be so happy. Her dad asked if I wanted to go with him to go pick up some last minute things for the Christmas dinner and of course I agreed.

I heard footsteps quickly coming up the stairs, making me sit up straight and placed the ring back gently inside the box. I shoved the box inside my bag, standing up when Kay walked into the room. “What are you doing?” She asked me with an amused look.

“Nothing,” I said with a smirk and leaning down to kiss her, but the tips of fingers stopped me. I opened my mouth and bit at her fingers. She jerked her hand back and swatted me on my arm with the other hand.

“Be good.”

“Impossible, babe. Sorry.” She rolled her eyes, but the grin on her face betrayed her act of irritation.

“Whatever.”
[enter]
[enter]
[enter]
[enter]

Dan walked up and down the aisle of Publix, with me trailing behind him. Apparently Publix is the grocery store every person shops at in the south. I’ve seen it when we were on tour in the states but I’ve never actually been inside. It’s nice though. It’s kind of… Homey. Plus, they have some of the candies from back home down the candy aisle.

My hip bumped into the side of one of the bins holding some cans, causing the box holding the ring dig into my thigh. I held back the curse word threatening to fall from my lips and bit my lip hard with a deep breath. “You okay?” I heard Dan’s deep voice ask.

“Erm, yeah. Thanks,” I responded back. He barely looks at me to confirm my answer before going back to deciding which gravy mix he should get for the turkey. I scratched the back of my neck, looking down the aisle at nothing in particular. This was going to be harder than I expected but I better do it here, so at least if he murders me there would be numerous witnesses.

He throws a couple packets of gravy mix into the cart before moving along. I have to do it now. “I have a question to ask you…” I start, making him look back at me with his eyebrows raised and nods, telling me to continue. His eyes are focused on the cans on the shelves when I continue. “You know I love your daughter, right?” He scoffs before picking up a can of green beans. I fight the urge to roll my eyes. “Well, um, I know we’ve only been back together for about five months but I know that I want to spend my life with her and I don’t ever want to lo–“

“Are you asking me if it’s okay to marry my baby girl?” He looks back at me with a small smile, surprising me. I cleared my throat, rubbing my clammy hands down the sides of my trousers.

“Er, yeah… I am,” I stuttered slightly over my words. He stopped walking and turned looking at me, narrowing his eyes at me as if he was trying to read me.

“You really love her?”

“Yes sir. Very much.”

“You’ll promise to take care of her and to give everything she needs and wants?” I nod, unable to form any words. “Okay.”

“Okay?” I choked out. This seemed too easy.

“Yeah, you have my blessings son. I trust you with her and she’s the happiest she’s ever been when she’s with you. And there’s no way I’m going to make her unhappy. She’s just like her mom, and pissing her off is frightening.”

“Oh, I completely understand,” I agreed with a small laugh. He smiled, clapping a hand onto my back.

“She’ll say yes, Harry.” I gave him a grin, which he returned.

“I hope so.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short. I want to get a couple chapters in before I spend the next week and a half dying mentally and writing this stupid research paper for lit -__-

Thank you for those who commented! I'm too exhausted to type the names up tonight.

Sorry for any mistakes. I'm hoping it's okay... I'm so tired...

Image

yummm...