You Can Break Everything I Am, Like I'm Made of Glass

Trust

Image

When we arrived at my house, Daddy was sitting on the front porch, sipping his jar of shine. We all stepped out of the car, and I noticed when we got closer; that daddy had a black eye. I gasped quietly, hiding the fear that was bubbling under my hot red cheeks.
Forrest stayed in front of me when we stopped in front of the porch.

“Sir, I reckon it’s a good idea that Mickey stays with us until you stop bein’ so damn ornery. So we’re just gonna get her stuff and go on about our day.” Forrest told him.

“Mhm.” Was all he said, and I followed the brothers into the house.

We took all my clothes and belongings and packed them into the truck and left, silently again. I couldn’t believe I was leaving. All those bruises would finally heal.
When we arrived at the Bondurant home, Jack and I brought the stuff in while Forrest and Howard left to tend to a few things in town. We sat in my new room, packing my stuff into a long dresser.

“So, how you gonna like livin’ with me now punk?” he asked.

“I don’t know why you talk to me like I’m younger than you. Aren’t you like 18? I have a couple years on you Jack.” I told him.

“Ha, very funny. I’m taller than you! That counts for somethin’.” He said.

I chuckled and shook my head.

“Hey, I got a great idea. Wanna ride down to the meadow and climb in the willow trees?” he asked.

“Isn’t that Butch Newman’s property though? Daddy says he hates you Bondurant boys more than he does.”

“He can’t see us if his house is hidden behind that big old hill. It’ll be fun, come on Mitch.” He whined.

“Ok fine.” I agreed, and we ran to the barn with a laugh.

We both galloped down the dirt trail under the trees until we emerged at the opening of the meadow. Across it, about a half a mile away, was the stand of big old willow trees. Underneath them was like its own shelter, because the trees were so old and heavy.
We stopped and looked at each other with smiles.

“I’ll bet old Buck here can keep up with your stallion. He may be old, but he’s got racin’ blood in him.” Jack boasted, gesturing to the old bay horse under him.

“Did you know that both of Ace’s parents were race horses Jack? He’s the fastest horse I’ve ever been on.”

“He’s the ONLY horse you’ve ever been on, fool!” he teased.

I smirked and urged Ace into a run, leaving Jack behind. Him and Buck never caught up. Ace ducked through the willow branches and disappeared under the tree while Jack struggled to keep his mount at a gallop the whole way. I got off Ace and waited patiently for jack.

He finally arrived and hopped off his horse, heading straight for the low shelf of the tree to climb on. I followed suit and we settled onto a flat dip where the 3 largest branches separated. We sat and talked for a while.

Almost 2 hours later, we heard a voice off in the distance, calling for someone. We stopped and listened.

“Jack!” came a calm, hoarse voice.

“In the tree!” Jack replied.

Forrest pushed through the long willow strands and approached the tree on a grey horse.

“What’re you kids doin’ in here?” he asked curiously.

“I don’t know who you’re calling kids, Forrest.” I said.

“I’m callin’ both of ya kids.”

I gave him a perplexed look.

“I’m not a kid!”

He smirked up at me.

“Yes you are.”

“Don’t make me come down there.” I threatened playfully.

Forrest scoffed and rolled his eyes in mock terror. He then slowly dismounted his horse and stood at the base of the tree, waiting for me to make a move.
I smiled and climbed down slowly, then leaped into his arms in an attempt to bring him to the ground. Awkwardly, it didn’t work and he caught me, with both hands gripping my butt. I looked at him with wide eyes and he gave me a patient look. He cleared his throat and set me down gently with a shy smile. Jack just giggled wildly at his brother.

“Ya’ll two would be a cute couple.” He announced with a grin.

I just looked down, keeping quiet.

“I’m not sure she’s lookin’ for a man like me Jack. Hush with that nonsense.” Forrest told his brother.

I turned and approached Ace, who stood grazing beside Buck under the tree.

“You leavin’ Mitch?” Jack asked.

“She aint goin’ nowhere. I gotta get in my time with Ace yet.” Forrest said, walking up and taking the reins from my hand.

Ace shied away from him, casting his muzzle to the sky with fear.

“Shhh. I’m not tryin’ to hurt ya, fella.” Forrest soothed the stallion with calm words.

He held the reins in one hand, holding them up so Ace could toss his head freely. He backed away, but Forrest went with him slowly, speaking softly.
Finally my horse was calm, and stood alert while Forrest rubbed his nose and scratched his forehead. Ace tolerated his touch, but kept an ear in my direction waiting for my reassurance. I didn’t give it, knowing that Forrest would stop me. Ace needed to learn to trust others aside from me.

Jack got impatient and mounted his horse to leave, but I stayed watching Forrest with Ace. Man and horse moved together. Forrest stepped forward, Ace stepped back. Forrest stepped back, Ace stepped forward. Forrest sidestepped, Ace sidestepped too. They mirrored each other’s movements. If Ace got nervous, Forrest let the reins go slack in his hand. When the stallion redirected his attention to the man, that’s when the ballet began again. Forrest stepped forward twice. Ace went back two steps. Forrest hopped forward and Ace hopped backwards.
Slowly, Ace didn’t shy as much. He began to trust Forrest. When he stepped forward, the horse stayed.
Forrest took one rein, and made Ace walk a circle around him. Then at a trot. Then suddenly, Forrest dropped the rein and clucked his tongue to make him canter. He did. Ace cantered in a 20 foot circle around Forrest, until he noticed the man stop moving and turn away from him.
The stallion slowed, unsure of what to do. Then he stopped and faced Forrest, watching him. He didn’t turn around or even move, so finally, Ace approached him and stopped beside him. His ears flopped to the sides and he blew a long breath through his lips, relaxing his body. Forrest smiled up at me and turned to rub the horse’s neck.
I clapped quietly as he led Ace over to me and handed me the reins.

“Arent you gonna try and ride him?” I asked.

He shook his head no.

“Not today. Maybe tomorrow.”

I nodded, and we stood looking at each other. Until Ace nudged his nose into my back, causing me to fall forward.
Right into Forrest’s lips.
We both pulled away fast, embarrassed.

“Sorry…” I said softly, while he looked at his feet and rubbed the back of his neck.

I pushed Ace’s nose away gently, trying to busy myself. But suddenly, Forrest grabbed my arm and jerked me back into him. His lips crashed onto mine hard and nervous. I was surprised, but after it registered in my mind that he was kissing me, I placed my hands on his cheeks and kissed back. His large, calloused hands found the bare skin of my waist from my small shirt sliding up. The feeling sent chills down my spine. His full lips were soft on mine, and I felt him begin to pull away. I let him, and smiled when his breath came short. His blue eyes found mine and we stood, just smiling at each other.