Love's Spiral

~111

The referee’s whistle sounded, signalling the beginning of the lacrosse game. Spencer had her book in her lap, reading, in her head, an incantation that could make controlling Scott’s emotions easier.

Stiles had his knees, chewing on his glove.

Spencer had noticed this, recognizing that chewing was something he did when he was nervous. “He’ll be fine, Stiles.” Spencer tried calming him.

Stiles looked to her quickly, and then back to the game. “It’s not him that I’m worried about.” He responded.

Spencer looked at him, confused.

Stiles shook his head. “Are you sure that you can handle this? I mean, you got light-headed trying to...” his voice got soft, “trying to control my car. From what I remember of that book, object control was lesson three. Emotion control is lesson ten.” He said, pointing to the top of the page that Spencer was on.

“Relax, Stiles. I can do this.” She reassured him. “I have to do this.” She said, aloud, mostly for herself. She turned to the field as the players were lined up.

The whistle blew and the ball was dropped. Jackson fought for the ball and achieved his goal. He ran towards the other team’s net. Scott desperately tried to get someone to get someone to toss him the ball, only no one would. Finally, he saw the ball, lying on the ground, unmanned. He went for it.

Spencer kept repeating the incantation in her head, trying to focus directly on Scott. She got a little distracted, though, when Jackson rammed into Scott, purposefully, taking the ball and the goal for himself. Spencer stood up, dropping the book to the ground. “Jackson! You twit!” She looked back at the stands and saw everyone cheering, completely ignoring what happened with Scott. The look on Scott’s mom’s face, however, told Spencer that she probably was the only other person who had seen it.

“That’s it, Jackson!” The coach called, congratulating Jackson on his goal. “Get fired up!” Coach passed right in front of Spencer and Stiles on the bench.

Spencer sat back down, grabbed her book and looked to the stands again. Lydia and Allison were cheering. The next thing she saw made Spencer groan. She hit Stiles on the arm. He turned to face the groan. The girls were holding up a sign that said, ‘We luv u, Jackson.’ The text speak on the sign alone made Spencer gag. The two turned back to the field seeing Scott catch glimpse of the sign.

“Brutal.” Stiles admitted.

Spencer noticed his shoulders huff in anger. “Scott, calm down. It’s just a sign.”

Scott still glared, obviously not listening to his friend.

“This won’t work unless you really try. This isn’t trying.”

Scott huffed again. Spencer and Stiles could tell that he was still majorly upset over the sign.

“Oh, this is not gonna be good.” Stiles said, aloud. Spencer’s eyes scanned the field. The rest of the team (all but Scott) were gathered together.

“Yeah, definitely not.” Spencer agreed, pointing out the rest of the team. Spencer knew Scott was listening. She also knew that his situation wasn’t good. “Stiles, he’s doing. He’s letting his emotions take over. He’s changing.” Spencer panicked.

“Okay, uh…” Stiles thought for a brief second. “Say it out loud.” He ordered.

“With all these people around? No way!”

“Just whisper them. Words are very powerful when spoken aloud.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Didn’t you ever read Percy Jackson?”

“Stiles, you have got to stop comparing life to books.” Spencer moved in her seat to have a good look at Scott. “Besides, it was the name that had power. Not just the word.” She didn’t take her eyes off of the field.

Stiles smirked at her. “You’re a nerd in disguise, you know that?” Stiles told her.

Spencer shrugged her shoulders and began to whisper the incantation quickly and repeatedly to herself. After getting through half of the second time, her brain began to pound against her skull. She groaned.

Stiles noticed and put a hand on her arm for comfort.

Spencer kept saying it aloud, which only ended up making her head hurt more.

“Spencer, stop.” Stiles said, suddenly and urgently.

“No, I’ve got to do this. I can do this.”

“Spencer, no. Stop now.”

She didn’t.

Stiles turned away from Spencer to his other teammates. “Can someone pass me a towel?” he asked. Someone made a joke about why he would need one: he doesn’t play. He ended up with a towel anyway. “Damn it, Spencer, stop! Your nose is bleeding.”

Spencer stopped reading, per her friend’s request and brought a hand to her face. When the hand came down, there was blood on her fingers.

Stiles held a towel out to her.

She took it and held it up to her face.

“You’re are not doing that anymore.” Stiles ordered his friend.

Spencer scoffed. “If I don’t, Scott will shift.” Spencer’s words were muffled a bit by the towel.

“I’m not gonna let you hurt yourself.”

“Stiles, it doesn’t hurt. It’s just a bloody nose. My headaches aren’t completely unbearable.”

Stiles quickly reached over and stole the notebook. “No,” Stiles said when Spencer tried to grab back for it. “You’re not gonna do it, Spencer.”

The two had a staredown for a moment before the referee blew the whistle signaling a line up. Scott was hunched over. Even if Spencer didn’t feel the change in his emotions, she knew he had changed a little. He was breathing heavily; the cold had made his breath show.

Spencer took the towel away from her face. The bleeding had stopped. The coach was standing just to the right of them. He turned his head, looking at the players that he had on the bench. He caught Spencer’s eye.

“Who are you?” Coach asked.

“Coach, it’s me. Spencer Garner. I’m in your fourth period.” She said, obviously.

“I knew that.” The coach lied. “What are you doing on my bench?”

“Uh,” Spencer thought. “I have terrible eyesight. I can’t see from the stands.”

The Coach nodded. “You should look into getting glasses.” He advised.

“I definitely will, Coach.” Spencer sighed when the coach turned back to the game.

Stiles leaned over to whisper to her. “You have perfect eyesight.”

“Yeah, well, he doesn’t know that.” Spencer reasoned.

Stiles nodded his head in approval.

Turning back to the game, they saw a referee stop at Scott. Scott nodded his head.

“I wonder what that was about.” Stiles said aloud.

“I don’t wanna know.” Spencer admitted to Stiles. “He’s lucky Scott didn’t bite his head off.”

The referee continued to the middle of the field. Players fought for the ball before it was tossed high in the air. Scott went for, literally jumping over a player from the other team to catch it. He ran for the goal effortlessly; no one could even touch him before he threw the ball in the net. Stiles and Spencer jumped out of their seats, cheering for their friend.

“McCall!” Coach shouted to his team. “Pass to McCall!”

Stiles jumped up and down behind the coach repeating his words. Another play started with the other team winning the ball. Their player ran a short distance before tossing the ball directly to Scott.

Spencer’s mouth dropped open in awe from the bench.

Stiles was chewing on his glove again.

Coach sat next to Spencer on the bench. “Did the opposing team just deliberately pass us the ball?” he asked.

“Yes, Coach. I think they did.” Spencer responded, smiling.

“I thought you had bad eyesight?”

Spencer’s eyes widened. “Yeah, it, uh, comes and goes.” She waved it off.

Scott ran with the ball throwing it into the other team’s goal. The goalie almost caught it, but instead of stopping, the ball went right through the pocket and into the goal, tying the game.

Stiles and Spencer cheered with the coach. Until the other coach came up to argue the goal.

“What?” Coach asked him. “The ball’s in the net.” He pointed out. Stiles stood from the bench to be alongside the coach. “That’s the goal of the game. He’s got the ball in the net!”

Spencer turned her head and saw her notebook laying on the bench. She grabbed it quickly opening to the page about emotions. She said the incantation once aloud to herself. She looked back to the crowd when she felt eyes on her. It was a man looking at her. He had been sitting next to Allison. She swallowed, fearful she had been caught. She quickly stuffed the book back in her bag, abandoning any chance at helping Scott.

Stiles came back to sit by her when the whistle blew to signify Scott’s goal as fair.

Spencer bumped Stiles. “Stiles, who’s that man next to Allison?”

“That’s her dad, why?”

“He might have caught me witchin’ it up.” She said, lowly.

Stiles groaned. “That’s probably not good, since he’s a hunter and all.”

“He’s a what?” Spencer said, too loudly.

Stiles shushed her. “He’s a hunter. A hunter of all things Scott-like.” Spencer panicked. “Not to worry. I’m pretty sure they’re just after the dogs.”

“Does Scott know?”

Stiles nodded.

“Wait, were they the hunters from that night? When Scott and I were caught in the woods?”

“Yup. Mr. Argent shot Scott.”

“Holy sh - ”

“But Scott doesn’t think Allison know about anything.”

“Stiles, it doesn’t matter. If the hunting thing he does is anything like my helping thing, it’s a family affair.” Spencer pointed out.

Stiles shrugged, returning his attention to the game.

“Stiles, we can’t let him do this.”

He didn’t say anything. She was willing to break up Scott and Allison to save Scott from probably being hunted, but she wouldn’t leave Derek when he was definitely more dangerous. Spencer groaned at his ignorance.

All the players lined up for another play. Possibly the last play with forty seconds left on the clock. The whistle blew. Jackson and another player from the other team fought for the drop. It was pushed to the side and Scott caught hold of it. He seemed to space out when he got in front of the goal. Almost as if he didn’t know what to do.

Spencer hit Stiles’ arm. “It’s happening.” She said, worried. The two stood from the bench.

“No, Scott, no, no.” Stiles begged. He couldn’t change now. They were so close to the end of the game and a victory.

For Spencer everything got suddenly louder. She heard cheers and screams and the slurp of someone drinking a soda, though no one near her had one. She put her hands over her ears, slightly overwhelmed with the loudness.

“Spencer?” Stiles questioned.

In that moment, it felt almost as if she could hear exactly what Scott heard.

“You can do it, Scott.” She heard. She looked around. It was Allison, echoing her own words to cheer him on. Scott was in the middle of two opposing team members and the goal. Spencer was worried he wouldn’t focus and make the shot. The two opposing players on the sides of Scott began to charge for him. Scott quickly threw the ball, making the shot.

Spencer screamed.

“Yes!!” Stiles cheered. The two faced each other quickly wrapping their arms around the other. Stiles picked Spencer up in the hug. He put her down in a second, smiling. She felt a little awkward about it, but tried not to show it. People raced passed them onto the field to congratulate the players. Stiles and Spencer stayed back and sat on the bench. She looked to the stands to see Sheriff Stilinski answer his ringing cell phone.

“Oh, right.” Spencer was reminded. “There was something I wanted to ask you.”

Stiles’ heart sped up in anticipation. “Shoot.”

“Well, I had a talk with your dad earlier. He said that he knew that things were tough over at my place. I guess someone with a huge mouth let word slip.” Spencer raised her eyebrow to Stiles.

The boy shrugged and laughed nervously.

“Either way, he said that if my mom okayed it, that I could move in with you guys.”

Stiles smiled. He tried to hold back his real excitement. “Really?”

Spencer nodded. “I told him I wanted to ask you first. I don’t want things to be awkward.”

“No, definitely no awkwardness. Spence, you’re my best friend. No matter what. And it’s cool. You practically live with us anyway.”

Spencer smiled. “Thanks, Stiles.” Stiles nodded leaving a silence between the two.

“Uh-huh.” The sheriff said, sounding unsure. The friends turned their head towards the Sheriff.

“Dad, what’s wrong?” Stiles asked. His father held up a waiting finger. Spencer stood from the bench. “Where are you going?”

“I’m gonna go find Scott.”

“He could be wolfed out.” Stiles said, moving to his feet. “You’re not going alone.”

“Stop worrying about me. I can handle myself. I am a witch, after all.” She smiled, proudly. “Scott won’t hurt me. He didn’t the night of the full moon. You stay here. Find out what’s going on with your dad.” Stiles still seemed reluctant to let her go, but she did. She walked quickly to the locker rooms. She heard Scott talking with someone.

“Yeah, sorry, I just got kinda light-headed for a sec.” Scott said.

Spencer sighed in relief, thankful that he wasn’t wolfed-out.

“Maybe it was the adrenaline.” It was Allison.

Spencer rolled her eyes.

“You were pretty amazing out there.

Spencer put a finger in her mouth and pretended to gag. She was sure Scott had heard.

“I’m sorry for acting really weird today.” Scott apologized.

“It’s okay.” Allison comforted. “I can handle weird.”

Spencer snuck a peek around the corner of the lockers to see the two in the shower area.

“To be totally honest, you, uh…make me kind of nervous.” Scott admitted.

I’d be nervous, too, if my significant other’s family was trying to hunt me. Spencer thought.

“I do?” Allison inquired.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Kind of, like, really nervous.”

Allison laughed.

“I just… I want to make sure I get my second chance.”

“You already have it. I’m just waiting for you to take it.” She moved towards Scott.

“Well, maybe I need to learn to take more chances.” Scott suggested.

“Maybe you do.” Allison agreed. The two were right in front of each other and they kissed.

Spencer filled with rage. She couldn’t believe Scott would put his life in danger for a girl.

Stiles came in, snaking an arm around Spencer’s waist. His heartbeat sped up with the contact that was almost habit for him, but it felt good.

Spencer got the chills, but didn’t push away from him.

Stiles saw that the two were kissing and grinned proudly.

Eventually Allison and Scott pulled away from each other.

Allison walked backwards towards the locker room door. “Um, I gotta get back to my dad.”

Spencer and Stiles tried to hide themselves, but ended up tripping over each other.

“Stiles.” Allison waved.

“Hey, yeah.” He said, waving back once he was stabilized.

“Spencer, call me tonight?” Allison asked.

Spencer nodded, even though she didn’t want to. “Yeah, I’ll try.”

After Allison disappeared, Scott walked to his friends. His smiled was big, from ear to ear. “I kissed her.”

“We saw.” Stiles said.

“She kissed me.”

“Saw that, too.” Stiles nudged Spencer with his next words. “It’s pretty good, huh?”

Spencer turned her head away and blushed, embarrassed at the reminder of their own first kiss.

Scott sighed. “I - I don’t know how, but I controlled it. I pulled it back. Maybe I can do this. Maybe it’s not that bad.”

“Maybe it’s not that bad?” Spencer asked. “Scott, you’re dating a hunter’s daughter. That’s about as bad as it could get.” Spencer spoiled out.

Scott looked to Stiles in disbelief. “You told her?”

“Yeah, but you should have!” Spencer blurted. “Allison’s father caught me doing witch things.”

“Witchy things?” Scott questioned.

“Long story, short.” Stiles started. “Spencer’s a witch.”

“Is that how you helped me?”

“It’s how I tried to help you. It was too much for me to handle.” Spencer admitted, defeated.

“Yeah, well you tried your best.” Stiles said. “So, we’ll talk later then.” Stiles grabbed Spencer’s hand and started to pull her towards the exit.

Spencer refused. “Wait, what happened with your dad?”

Stiles came back into the circle. “The, uh, medical examiner looked at the other half of the body we found.” Stiles told them.

“And…?” Scott begged.

Spencer was handing on Stiles’ every word. She knew this had something to do with Derek.

“Well, I’ll keep it simple. Medical examiner determines killer of girl to be animal, not human. Derek’s human, not animal. Derek not killer. Derek let out of jail.” Stiles said, reluctantly.

Spencer smiled big. She let out a sigh. “Really?” she asked. She wanted to run out of the locker room and go find him, but she knew that it would make Stiles upset after all of the friendship progress they had been making.

Scott wasn’t so excited. “Are you kidding?”

“Yeah. No.” He said to Spencer then Scott. “Here’s a bigger kick in the ass. My dad ID’d the dead girl, both halves.” He paused. “Her name was Laura Hale.” He said, a hint of sadness in his voice.

“Hale?” Scott asked.

“Derek’s sister.” Spencer said.

Stiles looked at her, confused, but nodded.

“I don’t know how I knew that.” She admitted, shaking her head. “Stiles, I gotta go.”

“I thought you were staying with me now?” Stiles questioned.

Spencer shook her head. “I have to talk to my mom. But, first, I gotta see him.”

“Spencer…” Scott protested.

“Guys, his sister is dead!” Spencer argued. “He hasn’t told anyone. He hasn’t talked about it. Imagine how you would feel.” She looked between the boys who didn’t say anything. Spencer groaned. “I’ll be waiting at the Jeep.” She sauntered out alone to the parking lot near the lacrosse field. She bumped into Jackson along the way. Or actually, he bumped into her. He had a glove in his hand. He just ignored her and kept walking. Spencer scoffed. “Nice to see you, too, Jackson.” She said, sarcastically.

Derek was on the other side of the field by the bleachers. He turned at the sound of Spencer’s voice. “Red?” he whispered aloud. Her head turned to face him. His brow furrowed. How had she heard him? He could see her smiled from where she was standing.

Spencer broke into a run to get close to him and jumped into his arms. Her arms went around his neck and her legs around his hips. He held her around the middle keeping her up. He was a little rigid at first, not really knowing what to do. Until he found her smell. He buried his face in her neck and hair, catching her scent in a stronger way. Instantly, he relaxed with her wrapped around him.