Love's Spiral

~113

“So, you killed her.” Stiles said. He had one arm around Spencer’s shoulders and another pushing the door open into the school.

Scott followed in after his two friends. Scott shrugged. “I don’t know. I just woke up. I was sweating like crazy and I couldn’t breathe. I’ve never had a dream where I woke up like that before.”

“Really? I have. It usually ends a little differently.”

“Urgh.” Spencer groaned. “Stiles, I have slept in that bed. I didn’t need to know that.” Spencer pushed her friend’s arm off her shoulders.

“A: I meant I’ve never had a dream that felt that real.” Scott reiterated. “And B: never give me that much detail about you in bed again.”

“Noted.” Stiles joked.

Spencer chimed in. “Can I suggest something?”

“No,” Scott said, turning towards the redhead. “I know you think it has something to do with me going out with Allison. I’m already worried enough that I could lost control and rip her throat out.”

“Not at all.” Spencer reassured. “I think she’s going to pull out her father’s crossbow and shoot you just like he did.”

“But, yeah, that, too.” Stiles said, agreeing with both of his friends. “Personally, I think you’re handling this pretty freakin’ amazingly. You know, I mean, without some sort of Lycanthropy for Beginners class, you got this down.”

“There’s no class, but you have a teacher.” Spencer spoke.

Stiles looked to her, shocked. “Who, Derek?” He asked. “Have you forgotten the part where Scott and I got him tossed in jail? Just because he’s your boyfriend now doesn’t mean that he’ll forgive us.”

Spencer shook her head. “Maybe if you apologized to him, he would. And he’s not my boyfriend.”

“Guys!” Scott intervened. “Could you have this little marital spat later?”

Spencer and Stiles looked at each other with narrowed eyes, and back to their friend.

Scott sighed. “Spencer might be right. When I chased Allison and dragged her to the back of the bus, it felt so real.”

“How real?” Stiles asked.

“Like it actually happened.”

The three friends walked through the double doors to an outside area. Scott was a little in front of his other friends. Stiles, Scott, and Spencer looking in front of them at the wreckage. The emergency exit to one of the buses was busted open and there was blood everywhere. It looked exactly how Scott described from his dream. There was police caution tape, investigators, and people taking pictures.

“Stiles?” Spencer said to her friend, worried.

“I think it might have actually happened.” Stiles said, aloud.

Scott turned around to his friends like a deer in headlights. Scott pushed through his friends, back into the school. He walked quickly through the halls.

Spencer and Stiles had to jog to catch up with him.

“Scott, I’m sure she’s fine. It was just a dream.” Spencer assured.

Scott shook his head, not slowing. “Pence, it obviously wasn’t a dream. She’s not answering my text messages.”

“It could be just a coincidence, alright?” Stiles tried. “A seriously freaking amazing coincidence.”

“Just help me find her, okay?” Scott continued to look, his head darting towards the different hallways. “Do you see her?” Scott asked.

Spencer shook her head and Stiles muttered a ‘no.’ Scott looked around his breath starting to waiver. Spencer’s own breathing became heavy from feeling what he was. Scott, panicked, threw himself against a locker. Stiles and Spencer stopped a few lockers away from him. Scott’s heartbeat, loud and fast. He groaned and put all of his force into punching a locker, crushing the door in. Spencer jumped back into Stiles, scared from the commotion. Stiles put a hand on her shoulder to comfort the girl. The friends watched Scott push himself off of the lockers, realizing what he’d just done. He looked up to his friends. Seeing the scared look on Spencer’s face, Scott backed away, turning down another hallway.

Stiles leaned down to Spencer to talk in her ear. “You okay? I mean, with your witchy stuff?” The boy asked, sending chills down her spine.

Spencer ignored the feeling and nodded her head. “Just scared me. I’m fine.”

Spencer and Stiles walked towards the hall to get Scott, but found him talking to Allison.

Spencer groaned at the sight. She believed that Scott was being irresponsible about this. Things could end badly between them if she found out his little wolfy secret.

Stiles tapped on Spencer’s arm to get her attention. “Can you hear anything?”

Spencer shrugged. “I’m not gonna eavesdrop on them.”

“Oh, c’mon. You’ve got something totally cool. Use it.” Stiles ordered.

Spencer tried to focus on her hearing. It was hard. She had never used it willingly before. When she was able to hear Scott say something to Allison, the intercom screeched, making Spencer cringe and put her hands over her ears.

Stiles tried to comfort her, but she pushed him away. “Like I could have predicted that.”

The principal spoke over the intercom. “Attention student, this is your principal. I know you’re all wondering about the incident that occurred last night to one of our buses. While the police work to determine what happened, classes will proceed as scheduled.”

Spencer and Stiles groaned along with their peers.

“First of all,” Spencer started, “I am never doing that again. Second, it’s about the stupidest thing to have hundreds of teenagers, willing to do stupid things, around a crime scene.”

Stiles nodded. “Let’s get to class.” He said, wrapping his arm around Spencer’s shoulders. Stiles was going insane on the inside, trying to calm his heartbeat. He didn’t want her to hear his affection for her. They arrived to Harris’ classroom. Thankfully, a few other people were there.

“Garner.” Harris said, when the two walked in. Spencer looked to her teacher. Harris pointed to the desk in the front right corner of the room by the windows. Spencer’s heart started to race. Why was he making her sit in the front? Spencer thought Derek’s threat had forced him to leave her alone. Stiles attempted to follow her and sit with her, but Harris stopped him. “Stilinski.” He said, pointing to the back. Spencer gave Stiles a worried look.

Stiles whispered in her ear. “He won’t try anything during class.” Spencer nodded, hopefully. Stiles went to his seat in the back and Spencer sat alone as people piled into the classroom. Scott came in as the bell rang, passing by Spencer, not noticing the empty seat next to her.

Spencer sighed, and buried her face in her book, planning to do the same for most of the period.

Scott turned around to look at Stiles. “Where’s Spencer?”

Stiles gestured to the front corner with his head.

The werewolf followed his gesture to see the redhead alone. “What happened?”

“Harris is a creep.” Stiles shrugged.

Scott turned back to his friend. “Maybe it was my blood on the door.”

“It also could have been an animal. Maybe you caught a rabbit on the preserve.”

“And did what?”

“Ate it.” Stiles said, obviously.

“Raw?!” Scott exclaimed, wide-eyed.

“No,” Stiles said, sarcastically. “You stopped to bake it in your little werewolf over.”

Scott scoffed at Stiles’ comment.

“I don’t know, dude, you’re the one who can’t remember anything.”

“Mr. Stilinski.” Harris called. All three friends looked up at their teacher at the sound of Stiles’ last name. “If that is your idea of a hushed whisper, you might want to consider pulling the headphones out every once and a while. I think you and Mr. McCall would benefit from a little distance, yes?”

Stiles shook his head, “No.”

Mr. Harris pointed out Stiles and then to another desk on the far side of the classroom from Spencer.

Scott joined Spencer at the open spot next to her.

“Let me know if the separation anxiety gets to be too much for the two of you.”

Spencer sighed when Scott took the seat. “So it wasn’t Allison.” She noted.

Scott shook his head. “Stiles thinks I caught an animal.” he responded quietly, not wanting to get moved again.

“And what? Ate it?” Spencer asked, shocked and disgusted.

Scott nodded.

“No offense, Scott, but I would prefer that it was human blood.”

Scott gave her a confused look.

“Do you work tonight?”

Scott nodded.

“Great. LEt me come with you. I want to talk to Deaton about a job.” She turned her head away from Scott and to the window. “Hey, what’s that?” The girl said, a little too loudly.

The entire class grouped around the wall of windows. Spencer, Scott, and Stiles convened near the window. They watched as EMTs pulled a body from behind the school towards an ambulance.

Scott looked to his friends. “That’s not a rabbit.”

Spencer’s eyes were glued to the man. There was a very good chance that the man was dead and her best friend had killed him. The man was covered in blood. Spencer held her breath until the man burst up into a seated position and screamed. The whole class jumped back in surprise. Spencer’s hand fell to Stiles’ for comfort.

Stiles gripped her hand as tight as she gripped his as they were both worried about their friend. “Okay.” Stiles said, warily. “This is good. Very good. He sat up. He’s not dead. Dead guys can’t do that.”

“Stiles…” Scott said, his voice faulting out of fear. “I did that.”

!@#$#@!

Spencer was already sitting at the lunch table checking her phone for any text messages from Derek. She hadn’t told him about Harris moving her to the front. She wasn’t planning on it either. It’s not like he tried to throw himself on her. Either way, Spencer felt like she needed to talk to Derek. With the guy that was found, Derek might have some knowledge on what the hell is going on with Scott.”

“Dreams aren’t memories.” Stiles said, making Spencer look up from her phone.

“Then it wasn’t a dream.” Scott countered.

Stiles took the seat next to Spencer and Scott went across from him.

“Something happened last night and I can’t remember what. So maybe Derek knows what’s going on.”

“What makes you so sure that Derek even has all the answers? What if he can’t help you?” Stiles asked.

“Stiles, Derek has been in this business a lot longer than we have. So he very well could know.” Spencer informed her friend.

“He wasn’t changed on the full moon, either.” Scott brought up. “He was in total control while I was running around in the middle of the night attacking some totally innocent guy.”

Spencer gave her wolfy friend a solemn look. “Scott, you don’t know you did that.”

“We don’t now know it!” Scott thwarted. “I can’t go out with Allison. I have to cancel.”

“That’s a good plan, but let’s not freak out about it if we don’t know what actually happened.” Spencer added.

“No, you’re not cancelling.” Stiles ordered. “You can’t just cancel your entire life. We’ll figure it out.”

Spencer looked to Stiles, noticing he was staring passed Scott. She followed his eyes to see Lydia coming towards their table.

“Hey, Spencer.” Lydia said, smiling brightly. “What are you trying to figure out?” She asked, looking to the boys Stiles gave Scott a panicked look.

Scott stammered. “Uh, just…uh, homework.”

Stiles and Spencer nodded agreeing with Scott. When Lydia turned her attention to her tray, Stiles leaned over the table to talk quietly with his friends.

“Why is she sitting with us?” he asked.

Scott shrugged.

“Maybe because she’s my best friend, jerk.” Spencer argued.

Stiles’ eyes widened. “I thought the party was just some kind of one time girl thing.” Stiles lowered his voice more. “You said you would never forgive her.”

“That was six years ago, first off. Second, I’m allowed to have friends other than you two. And third, I thought you’d be happy that you had an ‘in’ with her now.” Spencer smiled sarcastically.

Stiles didn’t know what to say. He knew deep down, that he didn’t want to be with Lydia. What he really wanted was right in front of him, but she was with another guy. Stiles remembered her saying that she wasn’t Derek’s girlfriend, so there might be another chance for him. Stiles stuttered. “Yeah, I don’t know. I’m kinda just taking some time to myself.”

Spencer raised an eyebrow.

“What? Is it a crime?”

“No,” Spencer admitted, “But you’ve been pining after Lydia for as long as I can remember. You finally have your chance. Just convince her that Jackson is a jerk.”

“Spencer, I’m fine. You don’t have to play matchmaker.”

“Hey, Spencer.” Spencer turned her head to see it was Allison who had interrupted her conversation with Stiles. Allison smiled brightly at her. “You never called. I got worried.”

“I passed out when I got home. Sorry.” The redhead lied, shrugging. Jackson walked over and Spencer noticed the other two people, Danny and Greenburg, who had joined the table.

“Get up.” Jackson ordered Greenburg, who sat at the head of the table.

Spencer rolled her eyes. What did Lydia see in him? Stiles was a much better guy.

Greenburg whined. “How come you never ask Danny to get up?”

“Because I don’t stare at his girlfriend’s coin slot.” Danny joked, even though it was the truth. Greenburg sauntered off and Jackson took his place. “So, I hear they’re saying it was some kind of animal attack. Like a cougar or something.” Danny brought up.

Spencer glanced at Scott who looked worried. He did not want to be talking about it.

“I heard mountain lion.” Jackson said.

Spencer rolled her eyes to his words.

“A cougar is a mountain lion.” Lydia corrected.

Spencer looked to her, shocked. How did she know that?

Lydia noticed everyone was staring at her and changed her tune. “Isn’t it?”

“Who cares?” Jackson asked, rhetorically. “This guy is probably some homeless tweaker who was gonna die anyway?”

“Could you be anymore of an ass, Jackson?” Spencer said, sending Jackson a glare. “He’s still a human being, which apparently you are not.”

“Who are you to talk to me like that?”

“Oh, please.” Spencer scoffed. “Get off your high horse. I have no idea what Lydia sees in you. You’re too much of a snake for my taste.”

“Actually,” Stiles interrupted, so Jackson couldn’t speak again. “I just found out who it is. Check it out.” Stiles moved to show everyone his phone, playing the video in the center of the table. Turns out the guy was Garrison Meyers. He survived but he’s in the hospital in critical condition.

“I - I know this guy.” Scott stammered.

“You do?” Allison queried.

Scott nodded. “Yeah, I rode the bus back when I lived with my dad. This guy was the bus driver.”

Lydia sneered. “Can we talk about something slightly more fun, please? Like, oh, where are we going tomorrow night?”

Allison nearly choked on her food at Lydia’s words.

“You said you and Scott were hanging out tomorrow night, right?” She asked Allison.

“Um, we were thinking of what we were gonna do.”

“Well, I am not sitting home again watching lacrosse videos,” Lydia stressed, “so if the four of us are hanging out, we are doing something fun.” She perked up. “Oh, Spencer, you and Stiles can come, too.”

“Ah,” Spencer started. “I think I’m busy that night. Plans with someone.”

“Yeah, and I’m not good at being a fifth wheel. Sounds like it’ll be loads of fun though.”

“You know what else sounds fun?” Jackson asked, sarcastically. “Stabbing myself in the face with this fork.”

Lydia reached for Jackson’s arm. “How ‘bout bowling? You love to bowl.”

Stiles shook his head at Scott, confusing Spencer. Was it bad to go on double dates?

“Yeah, with actual competition.”

“How do you know we’re not actual competition?” Allison challenged. She turned to Scott.” You can bowl, right?”

“Sort of.”

Spencer tried to hold off laughing at Scott’s answer.

“Is it a ‘sort of’ or a ‘yes’.” Jackson asked.

This seemed to flip a switch in Scott, he was more driven to defend himself. “Yes.” He said proudly. “In fact, I’m a great bowler.”

Stiles shot him a look like he couldn’t believe what his friend had said.

Spencer’s head dropped into her hands.

!@#$#@!

After the final bell rang, the three friends walked together in the hallway towards the parking lot. Stiles and Spencer walked arm in arm, Scott walking in front of them slightly.

“I can’t believe that you told off Jackson.” Stiles congratulated. “And you lived to tell the tale. That was just amazing.”

“Only that wasn’t the highlight of our little get together at lunch.” Spencer added.

“Right?!” Scott, you’re a terrible bowler. What were you thinking?” Stiles asked.

“I know! I’m such an idiot.” Scott moped.

“God, it was like watching a car wreck. I mean, first it turned into the whole group date thing. And then outta nowhere comes that phrase.”

“‘Hang out’,” Scott mocked like the word was poison.

Spencer furrowed her brow. “What’s so wrong with hanging out?” She asked.

“You don’t hang out with hot girls, okay? It’s like death. Once it’s hanging out, you might as well be her gay best friend. You and Danny can start hanging out.”

“Okay, first off, Danny is an awesome guy. Fun to hang out with. Second, does that mean that I’m not hot?” Spencer asked.

“You’re different.” Stiles explained. “You are…very attractive.” He stumbled. “But we’ve known you forever.”

Spencer rolled her eyes at the response.

“How is that happening?” Scott questioned to himself. “Either I killed a guy or I didn’t.

“You didn’t, Scott.” Spencer promised. “You couldn’t have.”

“I don’t think Danny likes me very much.” Stiles admitted.

Spencer nodded, agreeing. “I think you make him awkward. Maybe he gets some sort of weird vibe off of you or something.” She suggested.

“I asked Allison on a date, and now all of a sudden we’re hanging out. Going bowling with Lydia and Jackson. Where the hell did that come from?”

Spencer groaned, hating being the buffer of the two. “Scott, it’s nothing. Take it from me, okay? As a girl, I can for sure say that it is just a double date. She is talking about you to Lydia. How else would she have known you were going out? Girls just don’t talk about any guy with their best friend.”

“Am I not attractive to gay guys?” Stiles asked.

“I make first line, and the team captain wants to destroy me, and now, now I’m gonna be late for work.” Scott hurried off to the parking lot for his bike.

“Wait! Scott!” Stiles called. “You didn’t - am I attractive to gay guys?! You didn’t answer my question…”

Spencer smiled. “I have to go with him, but, yes. Stiles, you are very attractive. To anybody.” She said, sincerely. “But you’re not gay.” She pushed herself onto her toes to kiss his cheek. “I’ll call you later, okay? Or we can get together and clean out that room so I can move in.” She hurried off after Scott, leaving Stiles standing there, shocked, his palm covering the ghost of her kiss.