Love's Spiral

~212

Spencer and Isaac had arrived early to school. Spencer had hoped that it would ease Isaac’s discomfort if they had shown up to school when not many people had been there yet. It did a little bit, but Spencer could still tell that Isaac was nervous. They stopped at his locker real quick for him to get some things.

“There’s no need to be nervous.” Spencer said to him.

“That’s easy for you to say. You’ve haven’t been arrested.”

“You don’t know that.”

Isaac looked to Spencer in shock, but when he noticed the smirk on her face he smiled and returned to pulling a textbook from his locker. “You’re joking. Trying to ease my uncomfortableness.”

“Did it work?”

Isaac laughed. “A little.”

“Then I’ve done my job. Look, if it helps any, I’m just as nervous as you. I always am.”

“You?” Isaac asked, closing his locker and giving her a once over. “You don’t seem to be as on edge as I am. You never seem nervous.”

“I am.” Spencer insisted. “I never know how my day with Scott and Stiles is going to go or if I’m going to still be friends with them at the end of the day.”

“It must be tough. That you’re kind of on opposing sides as them.”

“Not so much opposing sides as sides that are butting heads on how to handle this kanima situation.” Spencer shook her head, not wanting to discuss that now. She looped an arm through his. “C’mon. Let’s get to class.” The two walked to class together quickly.

After entering the classroom, Isaac took a seat in the middle of the room.

Spencer took the desk right behind him. She leaned forward once they were settled. “You okay?” She asked him.

“Perfect.” He said.

“Good. ‘Cause here comes Scott.” Spencer sat back in her seat, awaiting the arrival of her friend.

Scott came in and sat down in his normal spot to the right of Spencer. “Hey, Spencer.”

“Scott.” Spencer said, not looking in his direction.

Scott’s eyes flashed to the person in front of her. “What are you doing here?” He seethed, looking between both Isaac and Spencer.

Isaac turned his head slightly towards Scott. “I’ve been cleared.” He said with a smirk.

“What?”

“The charges against him were dropped.” Spencer reiterated. “He’s innocent.”

“Yeah?” Scott questioned, looking from Spencer to Isaac. “How did you fake that? Did you hypnotize the sheriff?”

“No.” Spencer said, answering for Isaac again. “Jackson was wrong. Everything he told the Sheriff a couple weeks ago was wrong. We just had to give him a little push to fix his statement and tell the sheriff what really happened.”

Scott opened his mouth but couldn’t find the words to respond.

Spencer and Isaac turned, facing the front of the class again when the warning bell rang throughout the school.

Stiles stormed in a second later and threw himself in the desk behind Scott. “Dude, I just talk to my dad, who just talked to Jackson, and I’ve got really terrible, horrible, very, very bad news.”

“I don’t think that’s fair, Stiles.” Spencer said, looking at him. “You hardly know Isaac. If you did, you would’ve known that he was innocent from the start.”

“Oh.” Stiles groaned, realizing that Isaac was already in class with Spencer.

“Yeah, I think I already know what you were gonna tell me.” Scott said to Stiles.

Spencer smiled at both boy and turned her attention to the front of the class before the bell rang.

!@#$#@!

After their first class, Erica was waiting for them outside of the door. The three moved down the hallway a little bit towards Spencer’s locker. As they walked by Jackson and Danny, Isaac sent a smirk in Jackson’s direction.

“Isaac.” Spencer chastised, catching the taunt.

“What?” He questioned, smiling with his hands up in defense.

Erica scoffed, ruffling her hair. “So we’re doing this in chemistry?” She asked, looking to Spencer.

Spencer nodded. “Yes. Harris is combining the classes today. We’re doing this joint experiment thing he does every year when we make rock candy. It’s the perfect time to slip Lydia the venom.”

“And if it works and she’s paralyzed, what then?”

“Well, good news, Harris could be fired for letting us experiment and then eat it. Bad news, is that it’s Lydia.”

“And if it is, I’m gonna kill that bitch, alright?” Isaac threatened.

“We have to test her first.” Erica stressed.

“Exactly.” Spencer agreed. “And there will be no killing at school.” The bell rings before Spencer can continue. “Okay, you guys get to class. I’ll see you in chemistry.” Spencer started to move towards her next class.

Erica grabbed her arm, stopping her. “Where are you going?”

“I’ve got Econ.”

“You’re not staying with us?”

“I have my own classes to go to. Besides, you’re sophomores.” Spencer smiled. “I’m pretty sure that you’ve got a handle on this high school thing by now.”

“But the plan…” Isaac trailed off.

Spencer rolled her eyes and pulled back, forming a tight circle between the three. “Nothing is happening until chemistry, okay? Don’t approach Lydia. Don’t talk to her. Wink at her. Nothing to make her suspect something is up. Just act normal, got it?”

Isaac and Erica nod.

“Good, now get going.” Spencer said, making her way to Coach Finstock’s classroom. She arrives and follows the coach into the room just as the bell rings. Spencer sits in a desk in the back next to Lydia, not saying anything to the girl.

“Alright, listen up.” Coach said from the front of the room, throwing a textbook on his desk. “A quick warning before we begin our review. Some of you, like McCall, might want to start their own study groups with others, like Garner. Tomorrow’s midterm is so profoundly difficult… I’m not even too sure I could pass it.”

Spencer groaned, having completely forgot about this midterm, as well as all of her others in her other classes.

“Okay, I need a volunteer at the board to answer the first question.”

Spencer turns her attention to her textbook as she creates her own midterm review. She knew that reviewing with the class wouldn’t help her catch up on anything that she may have missed the past few days she hasn’t been at school. In hindsight, she wasn’t sure that she even care that she missed those days. Spencer had been training or hanging out with Isaac while he was on the most wanted list. She had done things outside of school that she had wanted to do. Spencer wondered if school was anything that was important to her life right now.

“Jackson!” The coach shouted, gaining even Spencer’s attention.

Spencer noticed that Scott and Stiles were turning towards the front of the room slowly to avoid detection. The redhead was curious about what the three of them would ever talk about civilly.

“Do you have something you want to share with the class?” Coach asked.

“Um…” Jackson looked to Spencer, who was staring right back with an eyebrow raised. “Just an undying admiration for my… For my coach.”

Spencer scoffed, rolled her eyes, and looked towards Lydia.

Beside her, Lydia seemed to be distracted. She was shaking slightly and breathing heavily, staring off into the distance, not really focusing on anything specific.

“Lydia?” Spencer questioned. “Are you okay?” Spencer doesn’t receive an answer from Lydia. It was almost like she was in a daydream.

The coach called her up to the board to solve a problem and it looked like Lydia was moving automatically, without really paying attention. When she reached the board, she erased the problem that was put up there by the coach. “Lydia?” The coach questioned, wondering, himself, what she was up to.

Lydia stayed in her trance and starting writing a single phrase, backwards and multiple times, on the chalkboard in the problem’s place.

SOMEONE HELP ME.

“Lydia!” The coach shouts, finally breaking Lydia from her stupor.

Lydia turned around, quickly facing the classroom. She looked like she’d been crying, small water drops had made their way down her face. Lydia was scared.

The coach stood in front of her, looking behind her at the board. “Okay then, anybody else want to try answering?” Coach turned towards the class. “This time in English?”

The class laughed, making Lydia feel embarrassed.

Lydia turns around to look at her work that she’d done on the board. She didn’t remember doing that. Lydia took a deep breath and tried to wipe the tears from her face. She walked back to the back of the class and took a seat in her desk.

“Lyds?” Spencer asked, gaining her attention. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” Lydia said with a small smile that Spencer could see right through. “Might just be some side effects of the meds my doctors have me on.”

Spencer nodded slowly. “Maybe you should go back and see the guidance counselor after school.”

“Maybe I will.”

“I hope that’s all it is.” Spencer whispers to herself.

!@#$#@!

The chemistry class had finally rolled around and Spencer was a nervous wreck, but she had tried not to let it show. She had to show Isaac and Erica that it was all going to work out. The three walked into the lab together, seeing a majority of the seats had already been taken. They spot Scott who had came in through the other door with Stiles.

“I think here and now.” Scott said, looking towards them and then to Lydia. All of them had noticed the empty seat next to Lydia, but it would be a fight over who would get it.

“Get that seat.” Spencer stressed.

Isaac and Erica followed her order and went towards the seat. Scott beat them there, though, and they weren’t able to steal it. Instead, they sat at the table behind them.

Spencer sighed and took a seat next to somebody random. She watches as Allison makes her way into the room and shoots a confused look towards Scott.

Scott gestures to the two betas who were sitting behind them. There wasn’t much else he could do to cure Allison’s confusion.

Spencer sat nervously gripping the small vial through her skirt, hoping their plan would work.

“Einstein once said, ‘Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the universe.’” Harris projected, as he walked from the back of the class towards the front. “I myself have encountered infinite stupidity.” He clapped a hand on Stiles’ shoulder. “So, to combat the plague of ignorance in my class, you’re going to combine efforts through a round of group experiments. Let’s see if two heads are indeed better than one. Or, in Mr. Stilinski’s case, less than one.” Harris looked around the class. “Erica, you can take the first station. You’ll start with…”

The boys’ hands in the class had shot up as well as one girl who was sitting at a table against the window.

Spencer laughed at all the willing participants.

Harris sighed. “I didn’t ask for volunteers. Put your hormonal little hands down. Start with Mr. McCall. Alright, next two. Allison and Lydia. Stiles and Patrick. Spencer and Isaac.” Harris continued to list off a bunch of partners as everyone shuffled throughout the room to pair up with their lab partners.

Spencer had quickly begun on her experiment with Isaac.

Harris approached their table. “Mr. Lahey, welcome back. I hope Miss Garner will be able to catch you up with the materials quickly so that you don’t fall behind.” He said, and then continued to the next table.

Spencer sighed, reaching into her pocket to pull out the vial in it. She grabs Isaac’s hand and places the bottle in it. “You need to do this.”

Isaac furrowed his brow at their hands and then realized what she’d put inside it. “Why can’t you?”

“I can’t.” Spencer shook her head. “She’s my friend. If it is her, I can’t be the one who proves it.”

“Alright.” Isaac said, tightening his grip around the bottle and then putting it in his pocket. “I’ll do it.”

Spencer smiled and then finished their steps quickly before the bell rang.

“Switch.” Mr. Harris said.

“Wait until the last round.” Spencer told Isaac before he walked away. “Go with Stiles.” After earning a nod from Isaac, Spencer continued to watch as he walked by to his table.

Stiles sighed when he saw his new partner and then started working. “If you harm one perfect strawberry blonde hair on her head, I’m gonna turn your little werewolf ass into a fur coat and give it to her as a birthday present.”

“You talking about Lydia?” Isaac questioned. “Or Spencer.” He smirked.

Stiles pursed his lips, irritated with the wolf. “Lydia, in this case. But, yeah, let’s not forget about Spencer.”

“Spencer’s fine. She handles herself.”

“Spencer.” Her partner said, taking her for watching the scene.

Spencer jumped and turned to see who she was paired with. She sighed. “Allison…” She groaned, and fixed her stance.

“What are you trying to do with Lydia?” Allison asked.

“I’m sure Scott would have told you what happened at the pools.” Spencer assumed. “I’m making sure that it wasn’t her that did it.”

“It wasn’t.”

“You don’t know that.” Spencer whispered forcefully. “She was bitten. Something happened to her.”

“What if nothing happened to her? She was your friend, wasn’t she?”

“She is my friend. But if she’s killing people without realizing it, I can’t keep letting it happen. I’m sure that you would do the same thing.”

“I wouldn’t even think about it.”

“Don’t even give me that bull.” Spencer said, looking away from her, working on the experiment. “I know that you’ve got Scott wrapped around your finger. I know that you’ve somehow convinced him that you don’t want to be a part of your family’s little hunting party, but I’m not Scott. And I’m one of the ones that you’re hunting. You’re not as innocent as you let people think.”

Harris rang the bell. “And switch.” He states.

Spencer goes to sit with another student she remembers from her Econ class. She makes sure to keep an eye on everyone involved in the plan so that it gets done. Spencer also keeps an eye on those who don’t know what’s about to happen to make sure that they don’t stop it. From her seat behind Isaac, she can easily see when he takes out the small bottle and pours some of the venom onto their finished experiment.

Harris rang the bell for the final time. “Time!” He calls.

Spencer doesn’t notice when her partner breaks their piece of candy and places her half on her textbook.

“Now, for the part of that last experiment I’m sure you’ll all enjoy, you can eat it.”

Isaac picked the rock candy out of the beaker and offered it to Lydia.

Spencer doesn’t realize that her heart is beating hard and fast as she watches the scene in front of her.

Lydia holds the candy up to her mouth and licks it after much anticipation.

“Lydia!” Scott calls, jumping from his seat and gaining the attention of the entire class.

“What?” Lydia questioned, swallowing the taste of the candy.

Nothing what was happening.

Spencer looked back at Erica and then forward at Isaac. She turned her attention towards the window, seeing Derek standing there next to his car. Spencer quickly left her seat and ran from the classroom, ignoring Harris’s calls. She didn’t stop running until she met Derek by his car. “She didn’t pass the test.” Spencer told him with a slight hint of regret behind her voice.

“I know.” Derek said, having watched the whole scene take place.

“So are you going to kill her?”

“One of us is.” Derek gave her a knowing look.

“Oh, hell no. I won’t do it.”

“You are the only one of us that she will let close to her.”

“That may be, but the other’s won’t. They won’t let me in the same room as her. Now that Scott knows that we know that Lydia’s the kanima and that we’re gonna kill her, he won’t let her out of their sights.”

“So what are we supposed to do?!” Derek shouted at her. “Let her run rampant through the streets, killing people?!”

“No!” Spencer argued right back. “Remember what I said about getting frustrated?”

“I’m not sure how else to deal with the situation at hand!”

“Slowly!” Spencer said, trying to calm the conversation down. “We think it through. We make sure that we know every detail. If they have a plan we make sure that we’re already three steps ahead of them so they can’t outsmart us.”

“So what?”

“We’ll get her. I know Scott. He’ll want to talk to you. Scott will try to talk you out of doing it. He’s always trying to shed as little blood as possible.” Spencer thought, chewing on her lip. “And really, he’s the only one that stands a chance against us. Even if Allison does carry a crossbow in her purse, which, no doubt she does, there’s no way that it’ll stand up against us.”

“So we’re going to talk to him?” Derek questioned, not exactly liking that things weren’t getting physical.

“We’re going to stall him.” Spencer corrected, pulling out her phone to text the betas her plan. “He’ll come out to talk to you. Boyd and I will talk to him first out at the lacrosse field. Then you come along. While Scott’s out here, Isaac and Erica will be inside, taking care of Lydia.” Spencer got a response from Boyd that he was on his way. “Lydia’s got an appointment with the guidance counselor anyway. Not much we can do until after that.”

“Alright. Just hope your plan works.”

“It will.” Spencer promised, making her way to the lacrosse field.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to acid_rain88 for commenting on my last chapter! It helps me know that I'm doing a good job. I encourage more comments, because I love them. :)