Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

A Huge Favour

It was decided that Maggie would go with Daryl on his motorbike to find some formula for the baby. They had to be quick as well, otherwise the baby wouldn’t make it. Maggie was heading back to the fence’s edge, so I caught her halfway.

“What’s up?” she asked impatiently. I glanced over my shoulder, seeing Daryl was definitely out of hearing range.

“Can I ask you to do me a huge favour? And to keep it from Daryl?” I said in a low voice. I shifted uncomfortably on my feet, hoping she’d say yes. I was really concerned that this would be the only opportunity I’d get for a while, and I just had to know. Rick was going to get someone to grab one during the next run, but it had been a while and no one had had to leave the prison.

“Depends… I can try,” Maggie winced, her uncertainty clear. I decided to just ask.

“Can you grab pregnancy tests when you’re gone?” I whispered. Maggie’s face froze.

“You want me to get you what?” she hissed. This wasn’t going well…

“Please! I’m sure you might need one one day too!” I replied with a glare. She just had to do this for me… Otherwise I’d have to ask Daryl, and I didn’t want him to panic, or know that I was considering he was right about the whole situation.

“I can’t guarantee I’ll find any,” Maggie said with an anxious look over my shoulder, presumably at Daryl.

“Just look, please,” I begged and she nodded.

“Okay. I have to go,” she said before pushing past me and going to Daryl. I watched them leave the safety of the prison gates and disappear, the sound of the motorbike vanishing soon after.

And they made it back. I was bursting with joy to see Daryl’s motorbike approaching the gates after a few hours. Glenn had been keeping a watchful eye on Rick who was coping by slashing through zombies, and because of me Carl was doing just fine. He and I were constantly cradling his younger sister, trying to keep her entertained as we patiently waited for her first meal. And now it was here. Maggie ran up to us as we surrounded a fire, tipping out the contents of her bag. Lots of baby formula fell out, but so did multiple pregnancy tests. As Hershel made up the formula, eyes were all on Maggie. She glanced at me, and I shook my head ever so slightly, hoping no one had noticed.

“For just in case,” Maggie shrugged. “We were runnin’ low on condoms, but I got more of them too.” There was a small chuckle that went around the group, and I felt a huge weight come off my shoulders. I sent Maggie a small smile to show her I was grateful. People crowded around Daryl and Carl, who had the unnamed child.

“Thank you,” I whispered to Maggie.

“If you ever need to talk about somethin’, just let me know. You’re not alone,” she said quietly. I nodded my thanks and she walked in another direction to join Glenn’s side. My eyes were diverted to the amazing site before me. Daryl was cradling the new-born in his arms delicately, feeding her from the bottle and cooing to her. Rick was nowhere to be seen, Daryl was stepping up in a big way, and he was doing it well.
♠ ♠ ♠
HotRanger69, XTeamSammiX, Zombiexlollipop, RoadieEm, and Average Lifesaver;; - my regular commenters, thank you so much :) And also thank you to the people who decided to comment for the first time, Vohamanah and Cocoa4ever - hope you guys are still reading and will leave more in the future!

Any predictions for Mandy's test???