Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

He's My Family

Glenn and Michonne were freaking out. It seemed like Merle was one of the last people on this planet that they wanted to see again, yet here he was. Rick and Daryl managed to get the weapons lowered, but everyone was still opposed to taking Merle back to the prison. I didn’t blame them at all. He was a huge threat in so many ways.

“I don’t want him to come with us either,” I admitted after Daryl turned to me for my opinion.

What? He’s my brother, Mandy!” Daryl countered. It hurt me to see him so angered, but I couldn’t risk my safety like this.

“I know! Don’t you remember what he did to me a few hours ago? He was gonna kill me too!” I shouted, pleading for him to hear our logic and leave Merle. Daryl had turned away from me halfway through and was now storming up to his brother. His fist grabbed Merle’s shirt and his right hand held up a blade to his throat.

“You touched her? You put your hands on my girlfriend?” Daryl yelled.

“Girlfriend?” I breathed sceptically. We had a label now? Since when were we officially dating? I jogged up to the fighting brothers, thinking I could somehow quieten them down. The last thing we needed was to attract Walkers.

“Merle! Did you touch her?” Daryl repeated with a growl. Between his powerful biceps flexing and the fury in his voice, I was glad I wasn’t on the receiving end of his rage. It was comforting to know Daryl cared strongly for me.

“Come on, you and I both know you’re not gonna slit my throat,” Merle smirked. Daryl tensed, clearly thinking over his brother’s words. He let go and moved the knife away, but took me by surprise when he punched Merle in the stomach. Merle doubled over, groaning in pain. I just gaped at the two until Daryl looked at me.

“You can kick him if ya want,” he said in a low voice. It didn’t take much will to move and kick Merle between his legs. He deserved that much. Daryl turned to his brother again. “Stay here, and stay quiet.” Merle let out a tiny noise that was mixed with pain and understanding, so Daryl grabbed my waist and pulled me back towards the car and the rest of our group.

“He’s not coming, Daryl,” Rick stated simply, causing Daryl’s grip to tighten.

“He’s my family! I ain’t just leaving him!” he hissed back. Rick just gave him a sympathetic look. The decision was final. “Well, I’m leavin’ then.” Daryl let go of me and went to the boot of the car and started getting his gear out.

“What? No! You can’t! We need you!” I countered as I rushed to his side. He shrugged me off before picking up his bow. “I need you, Daryl. Please don’t go…” My voice was barely a whisper, but he still heard me.

“Come with me then.”

“No way! I can’t be around Merle! Besides, the prison is safe!” I replied, but I saw the look in his eyes. He had already decided. Daryl embraced me tightly and I realised tears were forming in my eyes.

“I’m so sorry, Mandy… Blood just comes first to me…” he breathed in my ear before pulling away. “I hope I’ll see you again one day.” With one last small grin at me, Daryl turned and left with his brother.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I read in an interview that the next season of TWD will take place 3-4 months after the last episode happened - has anyone else heard this? Is that true? If so, that'll give me much more room to write fillers for what happened during then and hopefully more frequent updates.

Speaking of updates, sorry for the lack thereof. It's crunch time right before final exams for me, so I don't have much any time to write so yeah. If you're subscribed to Skin Deep as well (my Dixon brothers fan fic) then that won't be updated for a while either, probably. Sorry - I promise by the end of the month I'll be back on schedule!

I hope you did enjoy this update though - it was enjoyable to write. Thank you HotRanger69, Sarahlamppost and XTeamSammiX for the comments - you guys are awesome.