Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

It's All Falling Apart

During the ride back to the prison, I was really questioning my decision. Should I have gone with Daryl? Sure, Merle would have been there and he was not the kind of person I wanted to associate myself with, but Daryl meant a lot to me. Clearly I had meant a lot to him too. He had taken my side against his brother, and even called me his girlfriend. He had to think there was something good going on between us, but we’d both thrown it away so quickly. I felt like a fool.

There was some sense though. The prison was a large and safe complex, and it had more than just two people inside it. There were weapons, food, shelter, a protective fence, and others that I had bonded with. It just had to be the right choice… If the people from that town came after us, the prison would be a good place to be, rather than exposed in the woods. I had never been one to have a man influence my life decisions, so I concluded that this situation was no different.

Back at the complex once my arm was patched up, I was helping Beth take care of the Little Asskicker, wondering what Daryl would actually call his children if he ever had any. The thought of him made me smile a little, and Beth noticed.

“I’m glad you’re okay,” she said. I looked at her and saw the distress all over her face.

“What’s wrong?” I questioned softly.

“We’re not gonna die soon, are we?” Beth asked quietly after a pause.

“Why would you ask that?”

“Because of the Governor and his people… I feel safe from the Walkers, but not from the humans,” she admitted.

“I’m sure we’ll be fine,” I replied, but I knew there was a lot of doubt in my voice.

“I feel like it’s all falling apart, ya know? Rick is losing his mind, Daryl’s gone, and now Maggie and Glenn are fighting… We don’t have any more strong adults left…” Beth trailed off. My eyes fell away from the baby and I zoned out, going over the teenager’s words in my mind. She was absolutely right. Everything was falling apart. All that we knew was about to be destroyed again.

“You’re right…” I whispered.

“What?”

“You’re right… I’m sorry, but I don’t know what to say to comfort you, Beth. I see what you’re saying and you’re right,” I told her honestly. There was no point in lying to her. She was practically an adult, so she deserved the truth.

“I’m gonna go find my dad,” Beth mumbled before shuffling away from me. As I watched her back, I felt my stomach sinking. I had done a crappy thing. I diverted my attention back to the baby, but all it reminded me of was my pregnancy scare with Daryl. A frown came across my face as tears started to fall. I really missed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've finished my exams, so I should be able to get this story back onto a regular update schedule :) I sincerely apologise for the long gaps between updates, and I hope you're all still subscribed and willing to read and comment.

Speaking of which, I have to thank XTeamSammiX, HotRanger69, Ocean_Song, Zombiexlollipop, and Sarahlamppost for the comments on the last chapter. Please keep them coming! Let me know what you think of what Mandy said to Beth, and how she feels about not going with the Dixons.