Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Stay Close

Andrea and I sat in silence until Daryl came back with the intimidating man from the other group. I stood and approached them, noticing they seemed more friendly towards each other now. Daryl had stopped carrying so much tension in his upper body, and his face had relaxed. I wished we could all just get along, leave each other alone, but I knew it wouldn’t happen. Not with the Governor around.

“How’s Andrea?” Daryl asked in a low voice once we were out of earshot of the others.

“Confused. Distraught. Pissed off. Take your pick,” I answered before hesitating. “What is that smell? Smoke?” I started to scan the area, searching for smoke or fire in the distance, but I soon stopped because Daryl was chuckling.

“It’s me. I found a pack in a Walker’s pocket,” he grinned before pecking me on the cheek. “That was a bit of an overreaction.”

“Can’t help it,” I shrugged. “When was the last time we smelled smoke and it was a cigarette, not an actual fire?”

“Fair ‘nough,” Daryl agreed before shifting his eyes to everyone scattered around us. He took my hand in his and met my eyes. “If we don’t make it out of here alive… Just know I tried my hardest to save you and that I like you a lot, okay?” I squeezed his hand, knowing what he was trying to say but that he didn’t know how to say it. Maybe he didn’t want to say everything officially. I didn’t care. I knew I mattered a lot to him.

“I know. We already talked about this before we left, remember?” I said in a hushed voice.

“Yeah… I just- I don’t think anything’ll go down with these guys, but I dunno about Rick and the Governor. Stay close, okay?” Daryl asked and I nodded. Our hands separated and we went over to Hershel, waiting for the two leaders to exit. When they did, they were both silent and grim. No one spoke as the two men got into their respective vehicles, and their supporters followed. Daryl got on his motorbike once I was safe inside the car and I watched Andrea from the window. She was staring at me through the dusty glass, and I clenched my fist on the material of my pants, still hoping she’d pick us and come back to the prison. She bowed her head and got in the passenger seat with the Governor. My heart sank and I rubbed my brow.

“Ready?” Hershel asked me and I nodded. As he drove us away, I stared out the back window and watched Andrea leave with the wrong people. I didn’t want to have to fight her.
♠ ♠ ♠
So another cute moment between Daryl and Mandy, with Daryl attempting to express his feelings again. As you know, the show had two intense deaths following this, so you'll have to wait and see if I follow that or not. I can promise that it's emotional and that you'll enjoy reading!

Thank you TBPFelton18 and HotRanger69 for the comments on the last update - I really appreciate it.