Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

You Wouldn't Do That

“And you didn’t stop this?” Daryl hissed at me with the utmost fury. Rick had just explained what Carol had done and how we had kicked her out of the prison. Daryl was in my face, eyes narrowed, jaw locked, and a stiff posture that indicated he wanted to punch someone.

“I agree with what Rick did. I don’t want a coldblooded murderer here,” I justified as calmly as I could. Daryl stepped back and began pacing once more, and I briefly glanced over my shoulder at Rick. He gave me a look that almost begged me to calm Daryl down. “What would you have done if it was someone else?”

“Depends who,” Daryl retorted.

“Well, what if it was me?” I wondered and he spun around on his heel. We locked eyes and I held his strong stare, not daring to falter.

“You wouldn’t do that,” he replied with a snarl and I shrugged.

“You thought Carol wouldn’t either,” I pointed out, causing him to flinch slightly. “So what would you have done? Rick tells you I killed two people in the group. Do you keep everyone else safe by lettin’ me go? Is that the right thing to do?” Daryl lowered his head and I guessed that my words were getting to him. Rick’s decision was logical, and I knew that Daryl would eventually understand.

“No one would want you here, so you’d have to leave,” he agreed with a short nod before bringing his eyes up to meet mine. “But I’d go with ya.”

“You would?” I stammered with surprise. Daryl took my hands into his.

“Yeah. I’ve gotta keep you safe,” he mumbled. A few seconds later he let out a heavy sigh and looked across at Rick. “You swear you gave her enough supplies?”

“I did. Her and Axel will be fine,” he promised with a nod and Daryl turned to me for confirmation.

“They really will be. And she said to me to tell you that she’s sorry,” I added, remembering the rather bitter goodbye we had shared. We had just never quite fitted together, but that was okay. I had other friends.

“Okay then,” Daryl said quietly while nodding slowly. “As long as you’re safe…” He pulled me into a tight hug and I wrapped my arms around him, doing my best to comfort him until we separated.

“We have to figure out what to tell the others,” Rick said, his words aimed more at Daryl than me.

“And the two girls,” Daryl added. “Does Tyreese know?” I tensed at the mention of the man who had lost his girlfriend because of Carol. He would no doubt have even more rage than Daryl, and the thought of his possible reactions was making me nervous.

“No. I don’t know how he’ll react,” Rick admitted, revealing that he too was anxious.

“Let’s go find out,” Daryl stated, grabbing my hand and leading me towards the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks Dixon-Darling. and avenged angel for commenting - what do you all think will happen with Mandy when the Governor shows up in the next chapter?