Status: Updates every Friday (hopefully) leave me a comment telling me what you think! <3

Deducing Tragedy Part One: See No Evil

A Study of Promises

“Hanna” his voice flooded the room and sent a shiver of fear down my spine. “Back away from her.” I did. I move away from The Woman and sat back down in my seat.

“That is why I had her tied up,” Tomas said in a low voice as Irene returned to the spot where the other still stood. “This… vixen is so small and yet, when she chooses, can appear to be a thousand feet tall,” He said running a finger down my cheek before slapping me hard across the face.  “now go get ready, he’s running through the clues faster than expected and the time table had to be pushed up.”

“That’s not possible-“ one of the men began but Irene stopped him.
“If Sherlock turned off his emotions there’s no telling how quickly he’ll run through this little game of ours.” She said, her eyes flickering around the room, avoiding me. “With no distractions he could be here within the hour-“

“He’ll be hell bent on winning the game,” the blonde man said to the others. “That part of his personality is plain for anyone to see-“

“Br-“ he silenced me with a quick glare and I bit my lip. “I'm sorry-“

No one said anything to me as the three of them left the room, leaving me alone with my Monster. Tomas smirked, walking around me in a slow, predatory circle. “Well, love, I suppose we should get you ready?”

“For what?” I asked in a low tone. “My death?”

He stopped in front of me, cocking his head to the side to look at me. “Not yet- soon, but not yet.”

“Just get it over with Tomas” I sighed. “Kill me, set these people free from my burden-“

“I have a game to conclude,” he said with a wicked smile. “And you are the key to my victory; no love, you cannot die yet.”

“You heard Irene, Sherlock turned off his emotions. He won’t care if I live or die. Your victory will never come because the other player left-“

“Yeah….” He trailed off putting his hands in his pockets. “See I don’t quite believe it’s as black and white as Sherlock would have it appear.”

I frowned, “I don’t know what you mean.”

“And it’s a good thing you don’t need too,” He said looking up at the ceiling. “Now, let’s get you dressed. We have a party to attend-“

“You don’t think he’s turned them off,” I whispered in realization. “Not all the way at least-“ I was silenced by another slap across the face.

“You really talk too much,” he sighed as a couple of his goons entered and escorted me out of the room.

~8~

Sherlock and John walked into the hotel. John went to the front desk while Sherlock paused to look around. It was expansive at least four stars. The staff was busy but not in a hurry, Sherlock noted as he saw a few lazily moving a shack of chairs down the hall.

“Sherlock?” John called and he turned to see his short friend standing beside a man in a nice suit. “This is the general manager, Ja-“

“His name is pointless,” Sherlock cut him off. “Can you tell me anything about the James boy?”

The manager was annoyed, “nothing you don’t already know from the police, if you really are with them,” he eyed the two suspiciously. “A man named Bradley James phoned to reserve a room and then never checked in; it happens. Now if you’ll excuse me-“

“Don’t pretend like you have things to do,” Sherlock rolled his eyes. “The party that had been arranged for tonight was canceled and you have nothing to do but see to it that everything gets tucked back away-“

“Sherlock!” John scolded.

“This is a waist of our time,” He groaned. “This man is useless-“

“Sherlock!”

“I'm going outside,” Sherlock rolled his eyes again. “When you’re done chatting about nonsense and things that don’t matter maybe you’ll join me.” He was out the door before John could get another word in. The moment Sherlock was outside he felt it. Something was wrong in the world around him; something was out of place.

“Hello Sherlock,” the voice came from off the side and Sherlock a twinge of pressure build in his chest, over his heart.

“Brad,” he said turning to look at the boy he’d seen only a few short days ago. “Where is Ben?”

“Back at home,” he said with a slight glare. “With a sniper ready to shoot him at a moment’s notice.”

“Mathers’-“

“Hooper,” he corrected with hate bubbling behind his eyes. “It’s her fault. Not Tom-“

“And why do you say that?” Sherlock asked raising an eyebrow.

“She’s the one who fought him,” Brad said looking at the ground now. “Because she fought him she dragged me- she dragged Ben into this. You have no idea how much he means to me- what I would do to keep him safe.”

“I think I have an idea,” he said studying the boy. “Does Ben know?”

“Of course not,” Brad growled. “You really think I’d do that to him? He thought the world of Hanna-“ he growled out her name like it was poison. “He would be devastated to know what she did-“

“Or are you afraid he’ll be devastated to know that you did?” Sherlock countered and Brad’s eyes snapped up. “After all you are aiding and abiding a serial killer.”

“Too save him!” Brad shouted drawing in the attention of a few nearby civilians. “All that I do- I do to save him.”

“And what I do, I do to save her,” Sherlock growled back. “Make no mistake, Bradley James, I am coming for her. I will find her and when I do, I bring down Mathers’ entire operation; even if you are still a part of it.”

Brad gave him a weak smirk, like part of him hopped Sherlock would keep his promise “well Tom will be Happy to hear you say that.” he said pulling out a folded piece of paper and handing it to the consulting detective. “That’s the address-“

“For the event that was going to be held here before Mather moved it,” Sherlock finished for him. “That was the clue was it not?”

Brad only shrugged before walking away. Sherlock watched him leave, that pressure in his chest staying with him until he looked away finally. The paper in his hand was a crumpled and creased flyer for a Victorian masquerade. So that’s how Mathers wants to play, Sherlock thought folding it back up and tucking it away in the pocket of his coat.

Then let the game begin.