All That We Could Be

Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Fallon was sitting feeling awkward in the restaurant. Everyone was staring at the two of them. William had laughed when Fallon told him this. “They think your stunning that’s all.” He said brushing it off. “Right…I don’t think so.” mumbled Fallon. Once they had been seated, the stares became more pronounced. Fallon tried to ignore it, but it was really hard. “If it bothers you that much, how about we just pull the curtains?” William said after finally noticing how uncomfortable the looks of people were making Fallon.

So they did pull the curtains. Luckily they were sitting next to a wall, so there were no people watching them from the outside.

Fallon and William had already ordered and were waiting for their meals. “I’m really glad that you decided to go out with me after all. I was beginning to think that I would have to come to your door step and beg on my hands and knees.” William said with a chuckle. Fallon didn’t know how to respond. She was still trying to figure out why she had heard Daniel’s voice. It had been almost like he was there with her. Fallon snapped back to reality. “I didn’t mean to make you wait that long, it’s just that I was honestly busy with the promo for the single and the album. It’s been a hectic time because I had midterms coming up right after.” She told him, after finally figuring out a proper response.

“That’s alright; at least you came with me today.” William told her. Fallon had the impression that he was a real flatterer. Daniel had gotten away with flattery simply because he was sincere, but William sounded practiced. As though he knew his way to her heart. Fallon was quiet. She was hoping her mind would silence about Daniel soon.

As dinner arrived, Fallon found herself answering William’s questions. They ranged from her favorite books and movies, all the way to her likes and dislikes. Fallon answered them as best as she could. Although a few times she found herself holding back a little. Once they had started to eat, Fallon took her chance to ask him some of the questions he had asked her. For the most part his answers were sufficient. Although he didn’t read the same kinds of books, or like the same cars as her, Fallon felt as though William was fine for now.

“What is it that you love about cars?” William’s question came to Fallon as a surprise. “I guess the speed is what I love most, the speed and the feeling of freedom. But I love the looks of some cars too. I mean I adore some of the Mercedes models because they look so…so…” Fallon wasn’t able to find the right word. “Sexy? You think some cars look beautiful enough to be considered sexy?” William said he had a grin on his face. “Yea, I do.” Fallon agreed. “I don’t get how a girl could feel that way about a car. I mean usually it’s guys who are most likely to say that.” William said with a little laugh.

He was right, for some reason some of Fallon’s thoughts could be mistaken for a boy’s thoughts.

Fallon laughed slightly. She could kind of guess why Cheryl disliked her addiction to the race course…maybe Cheryl didn’t think it was feminine enough.

“Does it bother you when other people stare?” The question William posed had come out of the blue. “A little…” Fallon told him. “Why? I mean tonight you didn’t really look comfortable with people staring at us. You’re a pop star. Shouldn’t you be used to it by now?” He asked her. “I haven’t had this much publicity. Usually no one cares much about me…I don’t think I would never get used to the publicity, but I know I can try to ignore it and pretend it doesn’t exist.” Fallon told him, and at once she could remember how she had told Daniel to ignore the photographers.

The longer she talked with William the more Fallon missed Daniel. Although William was captivating. She couldn’t believe she had decided to go out with him. It wasn’t fair to William firstly, since she still wasn’t over Daniel. Secondly Fallon didn’t want any one but Daniel.

The two of them finished dinner and were headed out the door. Fallon was shocked to see an even bigger throng of photographers, than those who had gone after her and Daniel. No doubt they were here for William and her.

William dropped Fallon home, promising to call tomorrow. Fallon had tried to think of a way to tell William that maybe it was better for them not to be going out, but William didn’t give her a chance. He told her that he would pick her up Saturday night. Cheryl had apparently asked him to come to Fallon’s performance. Fallon was shocked to hear the extent to which Cheryl had gone to meddle in her life. So Fallon agreed to see him reluctantly. Maybe if I give him a chance I’ll like him…-Fallon thought.

As Fallon entered her room, she kicked off her heels. She headed for her closet and changed. Apparently Cheryl was out. So Fallon had the house to herself tonight. Fallon changed into some sleeping clothes and headed back to the basement. She decided to try giving William a chance next time, for now her mind was hoping to hear Daniel. Alas his voice didn’t talk to her again. So Fallon curled up on her bean chair and wrapped the blanket tightly around her as she fell asleep with only Daniel on her mind.

It took Fallon a few moments to figure out where she was the next morning. She realized she had slept in the library. Fallon walked up stairs. She didn’t have class today since she didn’t have any midterms to write. As Fallon entered the dining room, she found Cheryl with the papers. At once Cheryl smiled as she saw her. “You should go and wash up, I already made breakfast.” Cheryl told her. She looked as though she were trying to conceal a grin. “Okay, but what’s so funny?” Fallon asked. Dread had started to well up.

“It’s nothing to be worried about.” Cheryl said. “Usually when you say that, it means I should be worried.” Fallon told her, but was instantly distracted by the phone ringing. She left to pick it up. “Hello?” She asked. “Fallon! Why on earth are you going to dinner with Michael Evan’s son? Why the heir of Evan Enterprises? Are you purposely trying to give me a heart attack?” Said the voice demandingly. It was none other than Craig. Fallon sighed. “Since when is it your business to worry about who I go to dinner with?” Fallon asked unhappily. “Since the papers have started to care.” Craig retorted. “What are you talking about?” As soon as the words had left Fallon’s mouth she knew what he was talking about. “Blasted photographers.” Fallon said darkly. “Must I remind you what could happen to your career? I mean at least with Daniel I didn’t have to worry about a lot. But do you even know what your in for with this guy?” Craig asked her. “Craig, how about I call you back in a while, let me just see what this is about.” Fallon told him. They bade each other good bye, and Fallon hung up.

“So that’s what it was. You were laughing at me because of the paper. Thanks so much. I just had to hear Craig freak out about something that I didn’t even know about. How nice of you to inform me, Cheryl.” Fallon was slightly irked. “Well the early bird gets the worm. I got the paper first so its not my fault.” Cheryl retorted. “You could have told me.” Fallon shot back. “Nah, this is much more fun.” Cheryl told her, but she handed the paper to Fallon.

Fallon turned to the front page, and let out a shocked gasp. “That’s right…” Cheryl said snidely, “Womanizing Evan Enterprises Heir Meets Music’s Newest Pop Sweetheart.” Fallon stared at the paper in disbelief. “I don’t get it…how is he a womanizer? Since when am I a sweetheart? What the hell is their problem?” She vented. Cheryl just snickered.

The tabloids wouldn’t stop. Her life was being followed still. Now it was because of William. As Fallon looked through the paper, she stopped. Here was another story on Daniel. “Manchester United sign Portuguese winger Daniel Luis Santos. Will he be able to compete with Ronaldo and Nani?” Fallon read the headline out loud. Cheryl looked to see Fallon’s expressionless face. “He got signed to his favorite team.” Fallon said her voice suddenly emotionless. “Isn’t that great?” Cheryl asked cautiously. “Yea, it is. He got what he and Miguel had worked so hard for.” Fallon said her tone still indifferent.

“I have to go and get ready, I’ll be out today. Okay?” Fallon said robotically. Cheryl didn’t like the calm that was Fallon. “Yea, but I thought maybe you could head over to Lively! with me tonight. We’ll have some fun.” Cheryl asked hopefully. “I can’t, I have to see Craig about the third single that will be coming out at the end of April starting of May. He wants to talk about doing a re-release for this album.” Fallon’s voice still didn’t have any emotion. “Okay.” Cheryl said reluctantly.

As Fallon left to get ready, she only had one thought on her mind. To escape. She wasn’t paying attention to anything. She went into her closet and pulled out a pair of black pants, a black long sleeve knit sweater/dress, and her black jacket and boots. She brushed her teeth and pulled her hair into a pony tail. She had put on a little eyeliner and very slight make up. She glanced out the window and saw that the sun was shining. I’m going to need glasses…- Fallon thought. She found her black tinted sunglasses, and left her room.

Cheryl looked up as Fallon came out. “Why are you all black? Going to a funeral or something?” Cheryl asked her voice concerned. Fallon had grabbed a chocolate chip muffin, and was heading to grab her keys. “Nope, I just felt like matching my Charger.” Fallon told the older girl. “Where are you headed?” Cheryl asked with her eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Some where. See you later.” Fallon said as she headed out the door. Fallon could hear Cheryl grumbling after her as she closed and locked the front door. Clearly Cheryl wasn’t pleased with Fallon and her reaction.

As expected outside Fallon was faced with flash bulbs and questions. They had reappeared once again. “Fallon what do you think of William?” “Is he the one?” “Why did you and Daniel break up?” “Do you regret leaving Daniel now that he’s been signed to Manchester United?” The questions shot after her. Fallon didn’t bother. She looked at them through her sunglasses. They all hungered for her answers, and she wouldn’t be the one feeding them today. She walked to her car and sat inside. Starting the engine calmed her.

She sped away from the ruckus. They would probably leave in the evening since they would see that she wasn’t coming back any time soon. She headed for the race course. It was Daniel that was bothering her. She couldn’t believe he was affecting this way.

She reached the race course. It was early morning. No one was around. Not even Phil. Fallon started her round. Speed had always been exhilarating for her. Comforting her pain. She was glad to have brought her glasses. The sun was bright. She wished it was raining, that suited her more. She didn’t know how much more of this race course her car could take. She felt bad about putting her Charger through this. It wasn’t the car’s fault that she was having such crummy luck with guys. One soccer player and the other some enterprise heir. Why couldn’t she have gotten some normal guy? At least then she wouldn’t have paparazzi at her front door.

After a few laps Fallon had stopped thinking about Daniel. She had decided to look forward to getting to know William. Clearly she needed to move on. Tomorrow she would work on the Charger…it needed to be cleaned and tuned. At least the paparazzi couldn’t get her then, she would be working in the garage and it would be closed. That meant she would have to remember to park in the garage.

Fallon got off the course after a while. It was 11am. She got off the track and went to the studio. Craig had told her to come a few days ago. Besides this morning’s out burst needed to be dealt with. As she walked inside, the receptionist told her to go to room three.

Upon entering, she sat down and waited for Craig. “Are you ready to explain?” Craig asked as he sat down. “Hello to you too.” Fallon said curtly. “Why are you seeing Evans?” Craig asked. “Look yesterday we just went to dinner. It’s the first time I went out with him. Besides what are you worried about? It’s not like he’s a bad guy?” Fallon retorted. “Look I’m just worried that’s all…it’s my job to worry about you. This is the first time the response to your album has all been positive. I don’t want you to be ruined because of some guy…especially that guy.” Craig said, with discomfort. “What’s wrong with this one?” questioned Fallon. “Look Fallon, I know you think I’m always down on you, but I’m just trying to keep you away from trouble. Evans is a play boy. He has a womanizing streak that makes his father look like a saint in comparison.” Craig said gruffly. This unfortunate father-daughter talk was making Fallon uncomfortable. “He sounds like a regular ‘Chuck Bass’” Fallon muttered under her breath. “What was that?” Craig asked. “Nothing.” Fallon said quickly. “I know you care, it’s just this was my first time going out with him. He doesn’t seem so bad. So can we just drop it? I promise I’ll look out for myself.” Fallon said sincerely.

Craig looked at her, the look on his face softened. “Alright fine, now let us get to work.” He took out his papers and spread them in front of her. “Here is a list of all the covers you recorded in the studio for this album. On these sheets I’ve placed a check mark on all the ones you put on the album, an ‘x’ on all the ones you told me you wanted to look at for b-sides, and the rest of the songs I want you to chose for the re-release. Also today I want you to think which track you’d like to release as the third single. So I’ll give you a few minutes, since I have to run and get the folder with the photo shoot pictures.” Craig handed her the papers, and left the room.

Fallon found a pen lying on the table and started to check off which songs she wanted on the re-release. She chose six tracks that she thought were ones she’d like to share with everyone. Next she went through which song she wanted to release as the third single. Here she had trouble. She couldn’t pick between two songs. So she went ahead and picked two songs for her b-sides.

As Craig returned with a folder full of pictures of her that could be used for the single cover, Fallon put the list back on to the table. “You’re done? Okay let’s see the list.” Craig said, as he put the folder on to the table. He looked through the list, while Fallon went through the pictures.

“I like the choices. So what have you decided for the single?” Craig asked as he put the list back on to the table. “I can’t decide between two songs. So I was wondering if we could do a double single. I already know which ones I want and I have the b-sides picked out for them too. Please?” Fallon pleaded. Craig returned to the list, and saw which two she had picked and the b-sides she had chosen. It worked out alright. “Okay fine.” Craig said giving in. “Yes!” Fallon cheered. “Now help me chose the cover, Fallon.” Craig said sharply, but then smiled.

The two of them started to sort through the pictures.