All That We Could Be

Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

April may have brought a lot of interviews for Fallon, but with the good spring weather she had stopped minding it. During the week of her ‘Popjustice’ interview, she had finished with the other magazines. They had all done photo shoots; either of her, or her at home, or her in the studio. Now that it was over, Fallon was glad.

The spring weather had cheered Fallon right up. No more snow on the ground, the grass turning green, and some days it was warm enough to go without a jacket. This happened to be one of those days. A nice warm Saturday.

Fallon had been at the track almost all week. William may have called her a few times for dinner and maybe drinks at his flat. Still Fallon wouldn’t go. She didn’t feel comfortable about the way William was trying to get her to go along with him.

More and more it seemed to Fallon that William didn’t care for her at all. The only care he had was for himself. She had noticed how the places they would go to dinner were all swarming with paparazzi. They would snap tons of shots of the two of them. Fallon knew he was only with her for the press.

Cheryl refused to listen to Fallon’s suspicions. Cheryl told her it was just coincidence. Fallon couldn’t believe her, every time Fallon brought it up, Cheryl would say stuff that would make it seem as though William was innocent. She didn’t think William smiling for the paparazzi was coincidence. She wanted to call him out for using her, but thought maybe he’d leave her alone if he thought she wasn’t interested. Unfortunately it didn’t work. Fallon knew she would have to tell him herself soon. Just not today.

Thursday when Fallon had gone to the track Phil had caught up with her. “Hey kiddo, have you planned on moving here yet?” Phil had teasingly asked her. Fallon had smiled. “Not yet, but soon.” She joked.

Phil had told her how he was going to be adding and making some changes to the track on Saturday. “If you want you can help me. It’ll be nice and warm. And I’m sure you have some ideas that will help make this race course more interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else tear up this track like you, so the guys will benefit from that. Just make sure you come prepared to get a little dirty.” Fallon had more than happily agreed to the offer. She’d have fun doing something different…and staying away from Cheryl and the topic of William, which as of late had started to become irritating.

Fallon had woken up bright and early. She changed into a pair of old torn jeans and a long black t-shirt. She made sure to pack a change of clothes, just in case the dirt was too much for this pair of clothes. She put her clothes into a rucksack, and tightened the strings. She flung her spring jacket over her shoulder and walked out of her room.

She decided to grab a little something to eat on the way, so Fallon went into the kitchen.

“Where are you going looking like that?” Bellowed Cheryl. “No where.” Fallon said, as she picked up a muffin and grabbed a bottle of pomegranate juice out of the fridge. “Oho…really? Fallon! What the hell? You have a wardrobe full of really nice clothes and you go out looking all scruffy.” Cheryl said in annoyance. “Maybe I have to go out to do some work.” Fallon told her, still checking for some extra food. She was actually looking for some chocolate bars, all the while trying not to face Cheryl.

“Yea, and what work is that?” Cheryl said, her anger hadn’t subsided just yet. Fallon thought carefully before replying. “I’m working on the car with some people.” She said, trying to be tactful. “Right, sure, which garage?” Cheryl said in disbelief. “Some friend’s.” Fallon said evasively. “So if I call you and want to come over, I’ll see you and your friend working on your car?” Cheryl wasn’t letting her go, it seemed that Cheryl had obviously woken up on the wrong side of the bed. “Yea.” Fallon said, hoping Cheryl wouldn’t drag this on much further.

“So if I decided to drop by, with say William, at the race course since I was bored…I wouldn’t find you there?” Cheryl had caught Fallon, yet again. Fallon’s eyes narrowed. “You wouldn’t.” She told Cheryl, with warning in her voice. “Yea I would. In fact why don’t I call him right now. The two of you can have some quality time together, and I can see what you’re really up to.”

“No.” Fallon had become fed up. “Look Cheryl, I really don’t get why you hate me going to the track. In fact I don’t even know why you still want me to go with William after all that I’ve told you.”

“I think you’re being paranoid about that stuff. Plus he’s been calling you for ages, okay. I just want you to be enjoying yourself and not always alone. Besides why can’t you just agree and go with him?” Cheryl said exasperatedly. “Cheryl, I already told you why I don’t want to go with William. So stop pushing me.” Fallon told Cheryl, a little forcefully.

“Today I’m just going to help Phil. He’s paved an extension to the track, and we’re going to put together some of the obstacles. So it’s not just a track it’ll be a real race course. That’s where I’m going…are you happy now? You finally made me admit it.” Fallon told her.

Her bright and cheery morning was already going awry. All she had wanted to do was go and work with Phil, and Cheryl had started on her for something else completely.

“You’re always going to be this difficult aren’t you?” Cheryl seemed to be in a right mood for picking fights. “Cheryl, if it makes you happy, I’ll go with William tomorrow.” Fallon told her in a serious tone. So that I can tell him that I can’t do this any more…-Fallon thought.

Fallon didn’t want to leave while Cheryl was still fumed at her. So Fallon racked her brain for some idea that might help cool her off. “How about I bring home some food, tonight. We’ll eat in, and watch something. I’m sure I can find something for us to do.” Fallon said hopefully.

Cheryl nodded as she left. “Sure. Just be safe then. Bye.” With that Cheryl left the kitchen. Fallon knew Cheryl wasn’t about to let this go any time soon. To be honest, Fallon had no idea why Cheryl had started to behave this way more often. Ever since William had come around, Cheryl had started to force her out with him. Fallon was going to put a stop to it tomorrow. She had made up her mind.

Fallon left the house. Her mind was still strained from the conversation. She opened the trunk of her car and put her bag of clothes in it. She opened her door and hung her jacket on the back of the seat. As she started the car, Fallon hoped that when she came home that day, that Cheryl would be in a better mood.

Fallon drove down the roads, her thoughts on the argument. She was trying to figure out what she had said over the last few days that might have made Cheryl unhappy. Fallon hadn’t forgotten to do anything. She hadn’t even made a fuss about the magazine shoots. She had even done more of the housework and managed to finish all her school work without any reminders from Cheryl. For the life of her, Fallon couldn’t see what had brought Cheryl’s wrath upon her.

Fallon entered Phil’s property. She could see the new portion of the track. Her mind forgot about the morning’s events. Phil was on the grass, there were some guys with him. All of their cars seemed to be parked on a downward slant. Fallon drove over to meet them. She couldn’t wait to begin.