All That We Could Be

Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four

Fallon had finally finished her last exam. She was happy to get out! It had been a long two and a half hour exam. There had been seven questions, and all of them were about writing the code for the program given in the examples. Fallon came out of the examination hall, confident that she had gotten a good mark. This class had been one of her favorites. The professor had been kind to her, although she could do without him yelling her last name when he called their names to give back the test. Although she was sure he had been shocked that she was a girl.

Fallon remembered that quite clearly. It still made her laugh. On the day he returned their first test, he called out “Steeveens!”, Fallon had been sitting in the front row. She got up quickly to get her paper. The professor had looked around to see who ‘Stevens’ was. She had been standing in front of him the whole time. He called her name out again. This time she reached out for her paper. He saw her move and looked sheepish, it had been quite clear he had been expecting ‘Stevens’ to be someone else. Fallon had smiled back, she found it rather funny.

Fallon quickly started her car. It was a sunny spring morning. The absolute end of April. At last she was going home. Her flight was at six, but she knew how long it would take her to get ready.

Fallon called Christopher before getting on the road. He was ready to be picked up. So she headed towards his place.

Fallon still had one little detail to deal with. Cheryl. She still hadn’t said anything to her. For one thing Fallon didn’t want anyone to come with her, but for another Fallon didn’t want to make Cheryl feel as though she was leaving all because of her.

In truth, Fallon was going just because Fallon wanted to see her family for a while. Yet there was a little part of her that was going because she wanted to have a little time away from Cheryl. The hurt had started to fade, but it was still there and whenever Fallon thought about it too much…the anger came up.

Fallon wanted the hurt to go completely, but the fact that Cheryl would probably have done things the same way if she had a choice to do it over again…didn’t help exactly.

This was better for the both of them. This way they would both get a break from each other and when Fallon got back, it would be easier to put it behind them.

Another reason Fallon wanted to go was so that maybe it would give Cheryl a chance to realize that Fallon could be independent. That she didn’t need Cheryl to constantly watch out for her. Although it was nice to have some one around to help with clothes and make-up, over the last few weeks Fallon had gotten on just fine without any help. Fallon knew she was happy independent. All she wanted was for Cheryl to see that, and for Cheryl to know that it was okay to depend on Fallon when she needed to. After all Fallon didn’t always need a shoulder to lean on, Cheryl needed one too.

Fallon picked up a cheery Christopher from his place. They talked about the exam Fallon had just done. Christopher was home today since he had to take Phil to the doctor for his regular check up.

Fallon reached home, and the two of them went inside the house. Fallon told Christopher he could watch T.V. if he wanted to and handed him the remote before heading to the basement. She entered her library and picked out a few books to read. She locked the door as she left. The last thing she needed was her library raided by a Cheryl who wanted to surprise Fallon when she got home.

She ran upstairs and into her room. She got out one of her rolling suitcases and put it on her bed. She grabbed a few clothes from her closet and folded them before putting them in the case. Making sure she had her jacket and a light coat with her. She made sure to pack a few pants and shirts, as well as a few dresses. She put in her sleeping clothes, her toothbrush, and a few gifts she had gotten for her family and her cousin’s family, as well as her newly married cousin. Fallon put in two pairs of shoes, and closed her suitcase.

She emptied her school backpack and put the books inside. She also put in her camera and a few lip glosses and eyeliners, and a few other cosmetics. Fallon ran to the kitchen and got some snacks to eat at the airport since she would be going early. She stuffed those into her back pack as well.

She finished packing and headed for a quick shower. She changed into a pair of comfortable pants and a loose t-shirt. She blew her hair dry, and pulled it into a pony tail. Then she pulled over a light jacket and a pair of sneakers.

It was already twelve thirty in the afternoon. Fallon hurried out to the living room. Christopher saw her. “Ready to go?” He asked. “Yea. Just about.” She placed the suitcase and back pack into the hallway. She ran to her room and grabbed the tickets, placing them in the front pocket of her backpack.

Christopher headed out the door with the luggage. Fallon looked around the kitchen to see if she needed anything else. She went to her room turned off the computer and closed the lights. As she locked the door, a voice came from behind her.

“Where are you going?” asked Cheryl. “I’m going back home for two weeks.” Fallon told her. “Why?” Cheryl asked. “I wanted to see my family. But they’re in Africa. So I’m going to go see my cousins and catch up. After all I’m not going to have much time during the summer because of the tour.” Fallon explained. “Is that really why you’re going? Or are you going because of me?” Cheryl had managed to get there. “I just wanted a break Cheryl. School’s been tough and now I’m finally done until September. Plus I need a break before the tour.” Fallon tried. “Fallon I know you’re still angry with me. So why don’t you just say it. You’re leaving because of me.” Cheryl said effectively getting Fallon to react.

“I’m not leaving because of you. Sure I’m still a little ticked off that you could have hidden something like that from me. That’s not the whole reason why I’m going.” Fallon told her, adamantly.

At that moment Christopher had come in to ask if Fallon was ready to go. Fallon told him to give her a few minutes and threw him the keys. Christopher caught them and left to start the car.

“Fine, Fallon. Then why are you leaving, what is the whole reason?” Cheryl asked skeptically. “So that I can see my family. I just want to be independent. So that when I come back you’ll see that you don’t have to take care of me. I can take care of myself, Cheryl. I just want you to be able to depend on me the same way I depend on you. Cause I know that I can handle responsibility the same way you do.” Fallon told her, honestly. Cheryl didn’t look too convinced.

Fallon started to head for the door. “Fallon, don’t leave like this.” Cheryl called out after her. Fallon turned. “I’m not leaving; I’m just taking a break.” Fallon told her simply. “I’ll be back soon. I just want you to think about what I said. I know I can be a shoulder for you to lean on. I just want you to trust me.” Fallon told her, reiterating the point.

Fallon could see that Cheryl wasn’t convinced. “Well I guess I’ll see you in two weeks. Bye Cheryl!” Fallon said trying to be cheerful about it.

Fallon turned to leave. “I’m really sorry, Fallon. About everything.” Cheryl said. “Cheryl, it’s okay. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be home soon.” Fallon reassured her. Cheryl came up to give Fallon a hug. “Have fun then.” Cheryl told her. It was clear that Cheryl thought of this as punishment. Her voice gave that much away. Fallon tried to be light hearted about it. “I will, just don’t worry too much. Have some fun yourself.” Fallon said, giving her a warm smile.

Cheryl waved goodbye from the front porch, as Fallon walked to the car where Christopher was waiting. “Are you finally ready to go?” He asked her with a grin. “Yea, I’m ready to go…home.” Fallon said quietly. As they drove away from the house, Fallon hoped that Cheryl would really think about what she had said. This time when she came back, Fallon hoped that maybe Cheryl would finally let Fallon handle things. Maybe this time Cheryl would see Fallon as able as she was.