All That We Could Be

Chapter Thirty Seven

Chapter Thirty Seven

Fallon’s first week of being completely alone was almost over. It was at long last Monday. The weekend had been bearable. She had done appearances for the most part. Not quite alone…but still the feeling was there.

She had answered questions ranging from why she had chosen the single, all the way to why she had picked four B-sides, two on both of the two formats of the single. Answering those had been easy. The reason she had chosen ‘Poison’, ’24 Story Love Affair’, ‘Whole Lotta History’, and ‘My Hands’, was because they were catchy to her…and she couldn’t decide which ones were better than the rest. What she hadn’t told them was that sometimes those songs reflected how she felt these days.

With appearances done for a while, Fallon was at home right after rehearsal for the tour. Things had been fairly quiet…the only strange thing was that she kept receiving flowers. She still hadn’t the slightest clue who was sending these gorgeous large bouquets. Each one had been different, but now there were no notes attached. This perplexed Fallon.

Fallon put her thoughts at bay, grabbed her keys and a light jacket, and she left for the track. Night had started to fall. It would be the first time she would be going there since Christopher…Fallon put it away from her mind. Hopefully, he would come back and things would get better?

When Fallon got to the entrance of the track, she saw that Christopher hadn’t been joking. There right behind the gate was one of the guards. Fallon swiped her card. The gate opened. The guard came to her. Fallon opened the window. “Hello, you must be Ms. Stevens.” The guard said to her. “Yea, and you must be one of the guards.” She told him. “Yes. We’ll be around the area if you need anything.” He handed her a card with the security numbers written. She took it. He said goodbye, and she left for the track.

For some strange reason, Fallon’s heart wasn’t into it. Tonight she didn’t feel like going around the track. It only took her two rounds to realize that this wasn’t what she wanted to do. Fallon drove on to the grassy patch and parked. Fallon got out, with her jacket in hand. She looked up, the sky was clear and many stars twinkled above her. Fallon threw off her shoes into the grass, and climbed onto the hood of her Charger. Predictably it groaned a little under her weight. She leaned against the windshield, wrapping the jacket around her front. She stared at the stars. Soon enough, Fallon’s eyes closed, she fell sound asleep.

Something was bothering Fallon, her eyes were squinting against something. Fallon opened her eyes to see the light outside. “Oh my…” Fallon trailed off. She looked around her. She was sitting on top of her poor Charger, while dawn had broken around her. Fallon suddenly realized that she had spent the night sleeping out in the open.

Christopher would have killed her had he found out…then again so would Cheryl, and Craig…and her parents. Except they didn’t know…and she wasn’t going to tell them any time soon. Fallon ran a hand through her hair, hoping it would look alright. Fallon got off the hood of her car, checking it for any damage…luckily there was none…not even a scratch. Fallon found her shoes and shook them before putting them on. She didn’t need to get bitten by anything. She got into her car and started it. Driving out of the gate was a relief…it seemed the guard didn’t notice.

As she arrived home, she saw another bouquet of flowers awaiting her. Puzzled, she couldn’t understand who would do this for her so early in the morning. Fallon picked up the flowers as she went inside the house. She put them away, and went to check the answering machine.

The first message was from Craig, he had called to tell her that rehearsals were finished…she was sort of relieved…and that she was free until the beginning of tour. She wasn’t too happy about this…she needed something to do so she wouldn’t be completely alone. The next message was from Cheryl. Fallon perked up upon hearing her voice. “Hello Fallon!” Cheryl said happily. “I’m sorry I missed you. I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be staying longer than I had originally thought. We’re at the villa here in Tuscany. It’s beautiful here…I know you would love it. Anyway, Keith and I decided to stay a while longer…so you get to rule the house on your own a while longer. I hope things between you and Chris are alright, I’ll call you again. Bye!” Cheryl’s message ended as Fallon was muttering. “Yea…everything with Chris is just peachy…since he’s not even here.” She said under her breath.

Fallon took a shower and changed. It was too early to do anything so she flopped on to the sofa and surfed the channels on the television. She felt a little drowsy after awhile and decided to sleep in her bed. After taking a nap, she cleaned up her room and the house, ending with the laundry.
Fallon checked the time…it was around four in the afternoon, she didn’t have anything to do. Fallon wandered around the house…finally settling on going into the yard…watering the flowers and finding something to do.

Fallon walked out with her straw hat. The sun was shining bright. Fallon opened the garage to get out the hose. “Hey Fallon!” Called out her neighbor. Fallon turned to wave. “How are you?” Fallon called out. Her neighbor, Lily, had moved in a few years before Fallon had. Lily was around Cheryl’s age, the three of them got along fine, and unfortunately their schedules did not allow them to see each other often. Lily was out of town most of the time, traveling to different cities to meet with business partners.

“I’m fine, you?” Lily asked. “Good.” Fallon replied. “Yea, I would guess that much.” Lily said with a giggle. Fallon was slightly confused by this. “What do you mean?” Fallon asked her. “Oh come on, you can’t play dumb with me. He’s gorgeous.” Lily said with another giggle. Realization dawned on Fallon. “He who? I’m not seeing anyone.” Fallon told her. At this Lily frowned a little. “I saw some gorgeous looking guy leaving flowers for you a few nights ago. At least I assumed he was gorgeous. He had an amazing car…one of those cars that only good looking guys should be allowed to drive. I assumed you knew him.” Lily told her. So someone came at night…to leave the flowers. Now maybe Fallon had a chance at catching him.

“Well I’m glad you saw him…I was beginning to think he was invisible.” Fallon said with a grin. “He’s real, honey. I think he really likes you…” Lily said with a laugh. “No kidding…” Fallon muttered. “I’ll see you around Fallon. I have to go and finish up some work.” Lily said, Fallon waved as Lily headed inside her house. Fallon contemplated staking out and finding out who this guy was. She watered the plants as she thought.

Heading inside herself, Fallon’s thoughts were interrupted. Her cell phone was ringing. Fallon had left it on the couch. She rushed to pick it up. “Hello?” She said into the phone.

“Hello gorgeous.” Fallon’s eyes narrowed upon hearing this. “Didn’t I tell you not to call me. As in never again.” Fallon said a little harshly. It was William. How could he have the nerve to call her up again?

“Fallon, wait. Before you hang up…I just wanted to tell you something.” He said quickly. Fallon was taken aback from the sound of his voice. He wasn’t demanding…or pushing…he was pleading with her. It made her stop from hanging up on him.

“Okay, I’ll bite…what do you want to tell me?” She asked. It was William who paused this time. Slowly he started to talk. “Fallon…I just wanted to tell you that I’m sorry. I’m sorry for hurting you and Cheryl. I’ve been thinking about you…and I wish that I hadn’t acted the way I did…by threatening Cheryl…I’ve never felt so disgusted with myself. I just hope that maybe you can forgive me.” He told her.

Fallon was shocked. More than shocked…William Chace Evans was apologizing to her. Is this real?...- Fallon thought. Clearing her throat…Fallon spoke. “Why are you telling me this now?” She asked him. “Because…Fallon…I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately…and you keep popping up. I want to make things right between us. I want to be friends. I’m sorry about the way I behaved and the things I did…I’m sorry about not even getting to know you.” He said, sounding sincere.

The mystery was solved. It had to be William…even her birthday card had mentioned trying to be friends. Who else could have sent her so many flowers. “Why should I forgive you?” Fallon asked cautiously. “Because Cheryl has…and if I wronged anyone more than I wronged you…it was her.” William answered. Fallon was surprised. “You talked to Cheryl?” she asked him. “Yea…I wanted her to forgive me, before I talked to you. She’s having a ball in Tuscany.” Fallon could hear him hesitate.

“William…I don’t know about this…” Fallon trailed off. Maybe she was too accustomed to being around with a friend…but Fallon actually wanted to take William up on his offer. Maybe being friends would be good for both of them. “Fallon, you don’t have anything to lose.” William said, trying to convince her.

“Give me one good reason…why should we be friends?” Fallon asked. William was quiet for a moment. “One good reason… so I can prove to you I’ve changed. Because I want to be friends with you…because I hate seeing you look so sad and forlorn.” He said quietly.

“What are you trying to say?” Fallon asked, the conversation had changed quickly. “Fallon, I’ve seen your pictures in the papers…and each time I think about how I hurt you. I feel like an idiot for what I did…and then a few days ago I saw you in the paper again…looking so alone and dejected…the paper said that you had just released your single and it had been your birthday…your single went instantly to number one…and you looked so unhappy…you were smiling but your eyes…they just told another story. I know that you probably hate me…but I want another chance…just as your friend because I don’t want you to look so sad when you should be so proud of what you accomplished.” He told her.

He was being sincere. For once…William wasn’t trying to charm her. He actually sounded like he cared. It surprised Fallon, that the last person she would ever want to talk to…or think about…thought about her, William wanted her to be happy. The fact that he cared, touched her. She had never expected that she would find anything worth keeping when it pertained to William. Fallon knew her answer. “Okay William…I forgive you…we can be friends…” She told him, softly.

“Thanks, I didn’t think you would come around.” William said, his voice sounded relieved. “In all honesty…I didn’t think I would either.” She said.

“So how about I take you out for a dinner or something to celebrate this new development.” He told her. “Nah-uh…We’re friends, remember.” She said, not even a few minutes later and he was asking her to come with him for dinner, how typical. “So friends can go to dinner together.” He argued. Fallon sighed. She should have known what she was getting into again.

“Fine, fine…how about we go to a movie…as friends.” He added quickly. When Fallon didn’t answer, William spoke again. “Come on, how am I supposed to get to know you as my friend when you won’t even accept my humble offer.” At this Fallon laughed. Why hadn’t she noticed that he could be funny. “Okay, let’s go to the movies…as friends. When do you want to go?” She said, giving in.

The doorbell rang. Fallon was puzzled. She opened the door to find William, leaning against the door way. “Whenever you’re ready, we’ll go.” He said with a smile. “How long have you been here?” Fallon asked in awe. “You don’t want to know…” He told her, a smirk played on his lips. “You’ve been here the entire time I was talking to you…haven’t you?” She said, although it slightly annoyed her…it was amusing at the same time.

“I was here ready to plead to you on my hands and knees…I consider it lucky that I didn’t have to.” He told her, walking past her into the house. She closed the door and followed. “You really want to make this friend thing work?” She asked. “Yea I do.” He told her.

Fallon looked him over. It was the first time she had seen him in months. His brown hair was wind swept, his eyes looked sincere. He was dressed plainly. A pair of jeans, a white t-shirt, trainers, and sunglasses. It suited him, he didn’t look so cunning and slick this way. “You know, you should dress like this more often. It suits you.” She told him. He laughed.

“Do you want to change and go for the movie or are you going like this?” He asked Fallon. Fallon had put on shorts, a long t-shirt, and flip flops after coming home this morning. She did look a little scruffy.

“I should probably change.” She said, seeing his point. He waited in the living room. She came out in black capris, flip flops, and a deep blue sundress. “Didn’t take you very long.” William said with approval. “That’s me, the quick changer.” She told him.

“So let’s go?” He asked tentatively, giving her a chance to change her mind. She didn’t. “Yea, let’s go.” She agreed, grabbing her wallet, keys, and her straw hat. She opened the closet and found a small black purse to put her things into. Finding her cell phone, she and William headed for the door. As she locked her house, William walked to his car. It was parked a bit away from her place.

“So what movie are we watching?” She asked, walking to where he was. “No idea, we can always choose when we get there.” He told her. AS he started the car, Fallon couldn’t help but hope that maybe this was the start of something new…something better.