Love Yourself So No One Has To

1. Starting at the End

Please don't act like I don't feel it too. Like I don't understand. Like I wanted this.
You think I wanted this? I didn't want to be alone for Valentines day, either. I didn't want to break up three days before. I didn't want to smash the sculpture I'd made for you by throwing it at the brick wall.
But I never wanted to fall in love with you, and look how that turned out.
I'm at the Saint and I'm hiding, which I shouldn't be doing because I do work here and I have every right to be here, but you're flirting with Laura, again.
We all know you like her. We always did. Even before we were together. Even while we were together.
I guess there's that someone for everyone, the person you can't get over, no matter how hard you try. For you, it's Laura. For me, well, for me it was Jack, but I haven't thought about Jack for months, except for four days ago, but that was only because you quoted him.
Exactly.
Laura doesn't like you. Not for you. She pretended to like you while we were together because she thought it would break me. She got over it, though. She got over hating me, and you were just a side affect of the revenge.
She'd not even pretending today. You don't even notice.
I'm in the confession box, with my collar on and you walk in.
I clear my throat and I try to not sound like me so instead I sound like a pubescent boy as I say, "speak to me, my child."
I think you know it's me but you talk, so maybe you don't.
"Forgive me father, for I have sinned. Three months ago I thought I loved a girl I was not dating and dated a girl I was not loving. Now I see that I was dating a girl I was not dating, and loving a girl I was not loving. And now all I have left is the girl I am no longer not dating and the girl I will forever not love."
♠ ♠ ♠
February 15