Status: on hiatus. just cuz.

Back to You

nineteenth.

"Dad?" Jordie asked his father, peeking up at him. Liam was currently reclined on the couch, nodding off to sleep as he checked his email on his computer. He turned his head and was met with Jordie’s big brown eyes.

"Hey Bud." Liam said groggily while rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Can I sit with you?" Jordie pleaded. He was biting his lower lip like there was something on his mind and Liam was curious to find out what it was.

"Yeah. Come on up." Liam replied with a smile. He moved the computer to the table and sat up so that Jordie could climb up on his lap. The little boy sat on Liam's knees so that he was facing Liam. Jordie clasped his hands in a reverent manner and just looked down at them.

"What's wrong?" Liam asked him, brushing his hair out of his eyes. Jordie looked up at Liam with a serious face.

"Why don't you ever go places with us?" Jordie finally asked. Liam's mouth fell open, absolutely gob smacked at the question. "Lots of kids go places with their dads. Why don't you come?"

Liam bit his lip, unsure of what to say. If Blair were here, she would know what to say, but she wasn't, and Liam was on his own.

"Do you not like me and mum?" Jordie asked when Liam didn't respond.

"Jordie, I love you and your mum more than anything. Why would you think I don't like you?" He insisted, taking his small face between his hands.

"You always say no when I want to go to the park. I want to play on the swings but you won't take me. All you want to do is stay inside." Jordie observed with a shrug of his shoulders.

"I know, Bud. There are some things that I just can't do. But I really want to." Liam said gently to Jordie. "But that doesn't mean I don't love you. I love you so much, okay?"

"Okay." Jordie sighed. He didn't seem satisfied with the response but he accepted it with a nod. Liam marveled at the way Jordie’s face looked so serious and mature. Although he knew nothing about what was going on, he knew not to press the issue farther.

***

“Have you ever thought about telling people?” Liam said to Blair as she got ready for bed. Blair turned around and looked at Liam with a raised eyebrow, unsure if he was being serious.

“Tell people about-“ She started to clarify what he was talking about.

“Tell people about us.” He finished.

“Yeah. I thought we already went through this? We’ll tell people when the time is right.” Blair said.

“Jordie asked me why I never do anything with you. He notices that I’m not there. I don’t know what to say to him.” Liam said, frustration laced in his tone.

“When did he say that?” Blair said, surprised.

“Earlier today. It’s not fair to him. I hate that I’m part of his life but I can’t really be there for him. I’m so tired of falling short, Blair.” He sighed, letting his shoulder slump in defeat.

“You aren’t.” Blair insisted. She moved across the room and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Liam, we’re doing the best we can. Jordie adores you. He’s curious, that’s all. “

“He said, ‘Do you not like me and mum?’ He doesn’t get what’s going on. I don’t want him to think that he isn’t a priority in my life.”

“Liam,” Blair cupped his face with her hands. “I know it’s hard to feel like you’re ever doing the right thing for him. I know you love him, and he knows it too. Not taking him to the park doesn’t mean you are falling short.”

“I know.” Liam sighed, placing his hands on her waist. “I want to though.”

“And that’s good enough. We’re never going to get this parenting thing perfect. We take one step at a time. You and me and Jordie.” She told him, giving his stubbly cheek a soft kiss.

“Thanks.” Liam said. He gave her a kiss on the nose and pulled away. He started looking around for his pajama pants.

“You’re pretty great, you know that?” Blair commented as she strode across the room into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

“You should move in.” Liam said as he slipped out of his pants. Blair’s mouth fell open and her toothbrush was held under the water, momentarily forgotten. "You guys sleep here half the time anyway. We might as well make it official."

"Uh, maybe." Blair said, surprised at the suggestion.

"I'm serious, Blair. It makes sense doesn't it? We're trying to be a family, right?" He insisted. Blair put the brush in her mouth and started scrubbing. She looked at him thoughtfully for the entire duration of her brushing. When she finally finished she smiled at him.

"I guess so. You really want to make this a full time gig?" She asked him, moving around him to change her clothes. She pulled one of his shirts over her head. Liam smiled at how natural the action was.

"Yeah. I want us to be a family.” He shrugged.

“Do you think Jordie will be okay with it? We just moved and now if we moved again….I don’t want him to lose his sense of security you know. He needs to be in one place.” She said worriedly and pulled the covers to the bed back.

“And we’ll make that one place here. So we can be together.” He suggested as he adjusted the pillows.

“We’ll talk about it in the morning.” Blair said with a smile. She climbed into her side of the bed along side Liam. He reached out and pulled her into his firm chest. Blair let out a sigh of contentment at the feeling. She loved falling asleep in Liam’s arms.

***


Blair held Jordie’s hand as they walked up to her old apartment. After weeks of discussing it, Liam and Blair decided it would be best to move in together. They were trying to make it discreet so they didn’t draw attention to themselves, so every couple days Blair brought new items over to Liam’s, slowly moving in.

Today Blair decided to make a stop, because she had the day off and she was getting bored staying inside all day. Jordie was always excited to see Ben, so the two made their way over once Liam had gone for the day.

“Ben?” She called as she shut the door behind her.

“Ben?” Jordie repeated and started walking through the familiar flat.

“Hey big guy!” She heard Ben greet Jordie from the kitchen. “Hey, B.” He said as he scooped Jordie into his arms.

“Hello, Blair.” Mark smiled from his place at the counter. “Nice to see you.”

“Oh, hi Mark! Nice to see you again also.” Blair said nicely. She hadn’t anticipated seeing him here with Ben in the middle of the day. “I just came to pick up some things. I didn’t mean to interrupt.” She said to Ben with a wink.

“Whatever.” Ben said, rolling his eyes. He sat Jordie back on his feet and he immediately latched onto Blair’s leg. “He came here for lunch.” Blair smiled knowingly and Ben blushed bright red.

“Is this your son?” Mark asked, motioning to Jordie.

“Oh, yeah. This is Jordie.” Blair introduced, rubbing his hair.

“Hello.” Jordie said with a small smile, not letting go of her legs. “I’m Jordie. What’s your name?”

“I’m Mark. Nice to meet you.” Mark smiled at him. Jordie nodded and looked away.

“He looks just like-“ Mark observed after a pause. He was beginning to put the pieces together. Blair turned pale at his comparison. She hadn’t really planned on letting Mark in the know this early in the relationship. “Oh my god. Is that-“

“Yes.” Ben said quickly. “But there’s a reason no one else knows, Mark.”

“Of course. I’m just a little surprised is all. He’s a good looking kid, you two did good.” Mark said, trying to lessen the tension.

“Thanks.” She said, chewing on her lip. “Well, I’m going to go get what I came for.” She said and left the room, Jordie close behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
i finally got my shit together and produced something semi-coherent. so...here's a new chapter. I'm having a hard time getting to where i want to be...so bear with me. but i had some tender jordie moments...hehe

any feedback/suggestions??:)

Thanks for reading!!