Status: In Progress

It's Just a Game

8.

We weren't aloud to go online or have phone calls, but we could write letters. I wrote to Charlie for a couple hours before I finally ventured out of my room. The hallway was empty.
I let my bare feet drag on the soft carpet. There were pictures of us lining the wall, like a family would do at home. I wondered briefly if that's what they were trying to do. Make us feel like a family to make the show more interesting. I quickly shook that thought from my mind. They wouldn't be that cruel, right?
Going back to the dining hall, where we'd had dinner the night before, was like coming in to a party. Everyone was talking and laughing. Alexzandria approached me first and brought me over to Juliet, Gregory, the red haired boy from last night, and a black haired boy I didn't recognize. Juliet hugged me.
"Rosie, this is Paul," The black haired boy smiled with an attractive charm, "he's from the original America. And this," she gestured to the ginger, "is Zayne." He shook my hand politely, his eyes hiding behind his shaggy curls.
"I'm from Australia-er, America Five."
I released his hand. "Juliet and I, like Alexzandria, I believe, are from America Three."
"Actually, I prefer to claim Ireland, if you don't mind." Alexzandria chimed. "I'm very proud of my land, and I'd rather not be chunked."
Gregory spoke up, "Most of you know that I am from America Two." He blushed a bit under his tan, leathery skin. He was the oldest of, not just our little party, the entirety of contestants. Not only that, but he was from the oldest America, other than the first, of course.
I was surprised that Paul chose to group with us. Although these get-to-know-you days aren't aired, it's never been a secret that first Americas are proud. They usually group together.
I was also surprised in the independence Alexzandria showed for her country. Yes, Americas had invaded Europe, but that was nearly half a century ago. She wasn't even a live when it happened. Even still, we'd all been a lot better off. The economy was good and relations with all the continents had thrived. Along with that, the crime rate decreased. What was Africa, now America 4, surrendered within the first month of war. They were the easiest in invading because they were so willing to accept the health benefits. I guess that once the United States got out of their second great depression they had lots of funds toward their was effort. Including for bribery. There hasn't been war in a decade now. Since Asia joined the Americas.
We were served coffee, milk and orange juice with out oatmeal and bacon. I sat between Juliet and Zayne, who both ate silently while Alexzandria and Gregory argued and Paul tried to strike up a conversation with me. "How do you and Juliet know one another?"
"She's my best friend." I said flatly, uninterested in his small talk. "We go to school together."
"Hmm..." He took a bite of oatmeal. "That's unusual. The likelihood of two people being chosen, even in the same city, is very low, let alone from the same school district. Very unlikely indeed..."
I let him unfocus and mumble to himself and I went back to my food, thinking about his strange behavior and how that was probably why he wasn't with the other First Americans. I also thought of what he'd said. About how strange it was that Juliet and I had known each other. He was right. It was very strange, and an enormous detriment to the both of us. If it happened that my obstacle had me competing against Juliet, I would have to lose on purpose. But that would hurt her so much... I had to protect her as much as possible. If only one of us was going home- which is how the Game works- it was going to be her. I'd make sure of it.

"Did you know that Alexzandria is only twelve years old?" Juliet was walking back to my room with me. She said that she'd always felt more comfortable at my house.
"I didn't. That's such a shame." Twelve was the youngest a contestant could be. I still thought that was too young. Of course, I've always thought that any age is too young to need to fight for your life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?