The Newsies

CHAPTER 22

Jack's face was red. He felt like Spot really had a hard time in his life. The more he thought about it, the more all of it made sense. Jerry was protecting Brooklyn. He wasn't being mean, he was just being rough and protective. He was angry because he had had a hard life and didn't feel secure. Jack understood how he felt and immediately said,

"Jerry... I-I'm sorry. But... People die. These things happen everyday to everyone. Something almost as traumatizing has happened to me... My life was difficult as well. I never knew how I ended up where I did, but I just put that behind me and think of what can happen. I don't care much about the past anymore. I only care about how I can make other's lives betta den mine... Maybe you should tink da same way." Jack slowly looked at Spot and smiled. Jerry's eyes twinkled. They were filled with sparkling tears that had obviously been held back for a long time. His mouth curved down. As much as he wanted to look tough, Spot couldn't hold it back any longer. The years of keeping the horrible tears and sorrowful thoughts have overcome young Spot. He began to shiver and then burst out in tears. He sobbed into his own hands, not caring about how others felt about him crying. Jack felt very sorry for him. He knew that Spot had never cried out of sorrow and knew it was hard. He wrapped his arm around his back and patted his shoulder.

"Its okay! You may have lost a family, but now you have us." Jack said. Spot stopped crying and looked at Jack, his eyes sparkling. He spoke words of true love and compassion.
"Thank you!" He said, smiling with the sweetest smile ever. Jack looked confused, but accepted him into the family. They smiled for a while before hearing the loud noise of the door swinging open. Kid Blink stood there in the door opening smiling with excitement.

"The whole federal force is out dere takin' in da smugglahs." He said, beckoning for them to come and watch. They ran to the window to see a crowd of sheriffs, rangers and cowboys (including Mush) shooting and taking in smugglers. Jack and Spot ran outside to get a closer look when suddenly Frank pointed to Spot and said,
"He's one of them too!" A Sheriff slapped some cuffs on and ordered Mush to go arrest Spot. Spot's eyes filled with fear as the furious Mush stomped up to him holding cuffs. Jack ran in front of Spot and frowned.

"He isn't." He said in a very intimidating voice which scared Mush. Mush backed away and nodded. The head sheriff frowned at Mush's actions.

"Son! He is one of them! Don't make me repeat myself!" His heavy southern accent engulfed Mush inside the words he spoke. Mush was very bad at making choices. He looked back and forth from the Sheriff to Jack, nervously. He took one long look at Spot and backed away to the Sheriff.

"Sorry, sir. Its not my job." Mush said, heroically but suddenly changed. He handed the Sheriff his cuffs and said, "But it is yours..." Mush looked at Jack who was now burning with anger and ran away. The Sheriff started towards him when suddenly a big fat man stepped in front.

"I'm afraid there isn't any arrest reason on this young man, Sheriff Logan." The man straightened his spectacle and turned to the boys. "These are merely acts of a child." He winked at Spot and turned back to the Sheriff.

"But Mayor Windley--" He began but was stopped by the firm hand of the fat man.

"No further arguments should be made for the matter of this boy. Thank you for your duty, Sheriff! But I think it would be more useful if you put it to the right work! Look," Mayor Windley, the fat man, said pointing at a Smuggler. "Your duty is calling right now!" The Sheriff was speechless. All he did was nod and slowly make his way to the Smuggler. Spot smiled at Windley.

"Tanks, sir!" Spot said smiling. The mayor twisted around and smiled his jolly smile once more.

"No, no, no... Thank you, young man.--" He turned to the rest of the Newsies. "Thank you all! These Smugglers have escaped from their lousy prison far west a few weeks ago and ran away to your town. But somehow, you young boys managed to drive them all back here!" Jack nodded at the Mayor and made his way to Davey.

"Hey, bud.... You okay? Did they...uh... Hoit ya?" He asked pushing his hands into his pockets. Davey smiled and shook his head.

"Hey, don't treat me like I am a kid! I know how to take care of myself! Nahh, didn't hurt much..." They smiled at each other awhile before bursting into laughter. Jack slapped his hand on Davey's back.

"You were right, Dave... Anyone can change." He said pointing to Spot.

"I only said what my dad said." Davey winked in approval and smiled. Suddenly, Racetrack ran down the streets in pure fright. He looked a lot better and had a cast on the part of his Spider bite. His face wasn't as pale but was red from his traumatizing emotions.

"JACK! DAVE! Skit--Skit...." He slowed down when he reached them and pointed back at the Hospital.

"What about Skit?" Dave began but immediately Jack had rushed towards the Hospital, knowing that something had happened.