Status: this is not going to be continued for a bit

Without You, There is No Me

three

The next time I see anything is in a hospital room. I look around and see my parents asleep and a nurse who smiles at me.

“Well good morning sleepy head. Let me go get your doctor.” She smiles a lot. She leaves and I’m still out of it. Then a taller woman comes in followed by the lady who smiles a lot.

“Good morning Catherine.” She says and with that my parents are awake and alert.

“Just Cat,” I croak.

“Alright Cat, let’s talk about what happened yesterday. It looks as if you have an ovarian cyst which explains the severe pain. You hit your head when you fell which explains becoming unconscious. The bright side to this is we can remove the cyst and keep the ovary intact unlike the last time. It does not look big enough to be cancerous so that is a plus as well.” She smiles again. People smile way too much to be working in a hospital.

My parents leave the room to talk about surgery and when it will be. Someone knocks on the door as I watch cartoons. I sigh and turn it off and look at the nurse.

“There’s a young boy here to see you.” She smiled again. I nod and see the tanner boy walk in, but this time he has a beanie on his head and he looks sad.

“How are you?” he asks.

“Drugged out of my mind,” I reply which he smiles at.

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s just an ovarian cyst.” I shrug. “I’ve had worse on my ovaries.”

“Are you going to be ok?”

“Yeah I just need some surgery then I’ll be good as new.”

“Are you hungry? I can get you something.”

“I’m okay, thank you though.” I smile at him. “Why are you here?”

“If you want me to leave…” he says while standing up.

“No! No, no I’m just asking because we’ve barely spoken to each other.”

“Who do you think rode in the ambulance with you?” he replied. I kind of stared at him because why would he ride in the ambulance with me? He doesn’t even know my last name.

I just kind of stutter and he chuckles, but I see his genuine smile for the first time and it’s contagious.
Before I know it my parents are rushing back in the room and are taken back by Vic.

They all say hello and then I feel a pair of lips on my forehead. I know it’s not one of my parents because I can see from the corner of my eye they’re as taken back as I am.

He keeps his lips there for a moment and then whispers good bye. Then he’s gone and I am left confused.

~

Two weeks after surgery I finally go back to group therapy. School was bad, people stared and talked and laughed. At least group therapy is a judge free zone.

I dread going in though because surgery made me lose ten pounds. I look sick almost. I put as much makeup on as I’m comfortable with, but there was no getting around the fact that I now look
anorexic.

~

The stares are annoying. Even the group counselor is staring at me in a way slightly less sympathetic than before. Vic doesn’t stare though he just sits there and his calming presence relaxes me. It relaxed me up until our counselor said something about eating disorders obviously pointed at me and I leave.

~

“Where are we going?” I hear behind me.

“Well I’m going home, I don’t know about you.”

“Let’s go eat something.” He says and walks out the building and for some reason I follow and join him.

~
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this took so long