Status: Complete! Hope you enjoy! :)

Guardian Angel

Chapter Three

By the time we exited the tunnel, seven hours had passed and I was carrying Emma. We’d stopped every 30 minutes to take a break and drink some water, but now that we were finally out, we could really rest. My legs were a bit sore from all the walking, but that would heal in a few minutes. Thank you shifter blood!

It was dark out, the full moon high in the sky as the stars shined through the trees. We were in a forest, surrounded by towering oaks and other trees. The grass danced in the wind and the crickets sang.

I sat Emma down and plopped into the grass next to her, leaning my back against a sturdy oak. Aiden sat down as well, digging through his book bag for something.

The next thing I know, he’s sitting across from Emma and I with a pencil in his hand and a sketch pad on his lap. Figured he’d pack that. I rolled my eyes and leaned my head back to stare at the stars. It was so peaceful.

Well, it was peaceful until something came barreling into the clearing. I shifted instantly, my instincts sensing the threat. Fur grew from my skin, my bones shifting beneath it, all within seconds. I stood in front of Emma, facing off to the creature I know had to be here for her.

My fur stood on end as I let out a menacing growl, baring my sharp white canines. The lion in front of me roared, baring its canines as well. The lion was female, it had no mane, but she still believed she could take me on. If I weren’t a shifter, then she probably could, but I had the upper hand this time.

I unsheathed my claws as the lioness swung her golden paw, aiming for my head. I lowered my head, her claws sailing straight over. She roared again and lashed out more, I hissed before tackling her and pinning her down with a single paw. She struggled pathetically, barely moving my paw at all.

Before I could move another muscle, a flurry of wings erupted from the tunnel behind me. I lost my focus, allowing the weak lioness to switch positions with me. Now it was I that was pinned to the ground, her paws on my shoulder. I felt a sting on my shoulder, he claws tearing into my thick fur, they barely reached the skin, but they still drew a few drops of blood. The lioness didn’t look too happy about that.

As I was pushing myself up, the wing noise got closer. The weight of the lioness was suddenly gone. I finished getting up to see Daemon wrestling with the lioness, giant white wings sprouted from his back. The fight was looking to be in his favor…until the lioness bit down on his neck, she would have shaked the life out of him if I hadn’t smashed her head into a tree.

The lioness and Daemon fell limply to the ground, one unmoving and the other struggling to breath. I padded up to Daemon cautiously, he was previously trying to get to Emma. Blood spilled from his wound, through the holes made by the lioness’ teeth.

He looked like he was trying to say something, but I couldn’t make it out. Then, his breathing stopped completely and his eyes closed. I leaned closer, trying to hear his heartbeat, but there was nothing to hear. I bowed my head, acknowledging his death and thanking him for protecting Emma.

A hand fell upon my shoulder, I looked back to find one of Daemon’s goons, I think his name was Lucas. I growled, moving away to stand in front of Emma. Aiden stood beside me, he’d been there ever since the lioness appeared.

“He was your guardian angel,” Lucas stated.

I shifted back in order to reply, my clothes tattered.

“What?”

“He wasn’t trying to get to Emma, he was protecting you. In the diner, he was trying to get you alone to tell you about him,” Lucas explained, nodding to Aiden at the end.

That made sense, if he really were after Emma, he would have tried to get to her when I was busy with the lioness.

I kind of felt bad now, fearing Daemon because of how he appeared. I promised myself before that I wouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but I suppose I just did.

“I’ve been assigned as your new guardian angel. I’m here to help you protect Emma and Aiden,” Lucas continued.

“Why does Aiden need protection?” I asked.

“People are after him as well, you were right to run away with them.”

I sighed and looked up at the stars once more. Well, today’s been eventful, now hasn’t it? I shifted back to my snow leopard from and curled up next to Emma to keep her warm. Aiden lay down with his back to mine, the two of us sharing our body head. Chills ran up my spine at how near he was, if I were in my human form, I would be blushing. I shrugged a bit closer to him before closing my eyes and sleeping.
♠ ♠ ♠
Almost Done.