Status: I wrote this one summer after meeting the inspiration of this story. Maybe you can find out who is it :):):)

Emerald Eyes

The Awkward Walk Home

The next day I paid attention what I was going to wear to school. It was the only way I thought Asher would talk to me again. I picked a violet blouse that matched my eyes, and dark blue jeans. I wore an amethyst necklace around my neck. I had a good feeling about him today. I took one last look at myself before leaving, everything seemed brighter today. By the time I got to school, I saw Asher in the hallway talking to his friends, he smiled and waved at me.

I knew I wasn’t dreaming now, I think he might like me! All this was happening so fast, it was hard to believe myself. As I adjusted my locker combination I could tell the one person I’d swoon over was walking towards my locker. I held my breath. “Hi Ava,” I heard. I sighed and looked up. It was Asher. He looked cuter than ever.

He was wearing a black shirt with a white-button down along with black jeans.

"Hi Asher.” It was the first time I said his name. It sounded so flawless as if left my lips. I looked up into his eyes. He was taller than me, I was only to his shoulder.

“Um, you live on Palm Heights Lane right?” He asked. Why was he asking me where I lived? Wait, he knows where I live?"

“Yeah,” I replied, I tried not to sound suspicious.

“Really? Palm Heights is just behind my house,” he said. I couldn’t believe this not only was Asher my crush, he was also the boy next door!

“Really?” I said.

“Yeah…” Asher said, I knew he wanted to ask me something.

“Would you want to walk home with me after school?” I couldn’t believe my ears. Before I was an outsider on Asher’s radar, now he wanted to hang out with me.

“Sure,” I gushed.

“Okay cool, I’ll wait for you by the bikes after school,” he said.

“Okay,” I said, I couldn’t help blushing. Asher, then, for first time, blushed as well. His cheeks turned pink and he nervously stared at the floor. He had to like me, I thought. He just had to. All my classes were a blur. For the first time I couldn’t play attention to any lecture, everything was a haze. I couldn’t help thinking about Asher and what we would say after school. Summer asked me why I was happy after fifth period, I told her my Dad just rejected another date from Iris.

I knew she didn’t believe my excuse, but she let me keep my peace. The final bell finally rang and I excitedly left Biology class before anyone else. Mrs. Dawson eyed me as I left, entering the hallways. Seconds later the hallways were flooded with other high school students. I quickly put my textbooks I needed for my homework in my tote bag and slammed my locker shut.

I eagerly walked down the hallways to the main school doors. Asher was waiting for me outside. He was leaning against the bicycles with his notebooks in one hand. I smiled when I saw him. I was about to walk home with my crush. This was the happiest day of my life. He smiled as well.

“Hi,” he said.

“Hi,” I blushed. He smirked at my shyness.

“It’s okay, I won’t bite,” he joked. I looked up him.

“Ready to go?” he asked.

“Yeah.” I could feel a few stares of envious cheerleaders and majorettes as we left the campus of Eastwood High School. Asher and I walked side by side until we left the Eastwood territory. Walking home from school in general was okay, I did it sometimes. It took about half an hour. I walked home whenever I needed time to think.

Most times they were about Asher, other times just about school stress. Sometimes I carpooled with Summer. Her house wasn’t too far from mine. Her Mom always drove us. Sandra Roberts was just as outgoing as her daughter. She liked making jokes and socializing just as much as Summer. Summer told me anytime I need anything, her and her Mom were always there.

I trusted her, I saw Summer’s Mom as my Mom, or a mother-like figure. I still couldn’t believe I was walking home with Asher Peterson. By the time it was just the two of us walking on the pavements, I often glanced down at his hand. I wish I could hold it and he would squeeze back, just like every couple in school. I had never had a boyfriend before, not even my first kiss. It’d hard to believe a girl can be fifteen and has never experienced any of a girl’s typical “first’s.”