‹ Prequel: This Burning Room
Status: read it!

To Set You Free

Tommy

One moment we were looking through old photos and the next my lips are moving with hers as my hands make there way to the familiar spot on her hips. The feeling between was too intense not to ignore it.

I didn't know what came over me. I am happily engaged to a beautiful girl who loves me. I wanted to stop. I wanted to push Elena far away from me but I couldn't. My brain was being overriding by a powerful emotion. All too soon the only thing I could think about was Elena. I wanted her, here and now. I bit her bottom lip, she loved that, and a moan escaped through her lips. Then she pushed me away.

"Tommy," Elena said almost on the verge of tears. "I've worked too hard to bury the feelings I have for you, to just throw it away so you can get in my pants while your fiancée is away on business."

"I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. I just, I've been thinking a lot about you lately. Do you ever think about me?"

"All the time, every day. It's hard not too when your face is plastered on almost everything," Elena says with a bit of harshness.

"You were the one that called Ed?" I decided to change the subject altogether.

"Yeah, about seven thousand times. Along with emailing, letters, and if carrying pigeons were still a means of communication, I'd use those too"

"I didn't know you cared that much," I said heartily.

"What?" Elena sounded hurt. "You didn't know I cared that much? I was your biggest supporter. My dream was that you had your dream. I wanted the world for you, I showed you that I wanted the world for you. How dare you say that you didn't know that I cared that much."

"I didn't mean it like that," I took a step towards her, but that was the wrong move. Elena put her hand up for me to stop.

"I'm going home. I have to be up early tomorrow and I want to tuck my kids into bed," Elena said before throwing some money on the table before rushing out of the private room.

I picked up her money and replaced it with my own, then followed behind her. I smiled at some of the people that I caught staring at me. It's not everyday someone from Hollywood strolls through this town.

Elena leaning on the hood of her car with her head in her hands.

"Is everything alright?" I asked once I approached her.

"Just don't talk to me, I don't need your help."

I chuckled softly. Elena is still the old Elena I used to know. I held her money out for her to take it. "Here, I paid."

"I don't need you paying for me. I've been buying my own meals for four years now. You can leave now," I know that Elena was only being mean to protect her feelings, so it didn't wound me, much.

"Stop being a bitch," I said without thinking. Elena whipped her head up to meet mine and gave a deathful glare. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. Just tell me what's wrong."

I could see Elena debating on telling me. She gave a final huff, "My car won't start and now my car won't start and I had to call a tow truck that will take most of my next paycheck from the bar."

"I can wait for you if you'd like?" I offered, I didn't have anything else to do.

"If I say no will you leave?"

"No, you're stuck with me," A big smile forms on my face as she rolls her eyes. "It's cold, we can wait in my car until the tow truck comes."

The only thing that fills the car is the slight hum of the engine and the warm air coming through the vents.

Elena is fiddling with her fingers and biting her lip. Parts of me want to be biting that lip but I refrain. I didn't know what to do. Everything is now awkward thanks to my not so subtle lust for her. I didn't want to end the night on this note.

"Tell me about your kids," I say to start conversation.

Elena smiles instantly. "God, where to start with those two? Wyatt is a handful all by himself. He is such a little daredevil. One time I caught him trying to light a hula hoop on fire so he could jump on it. I was impressed that he knew how to rub two sticks together, but he wanted Kinleigh to hold the hoop once it was on fire. He loves dirt bikes and being dirty and tattoos and Bigfoot. He loves Bigfoot. He swears that he's seen him. He lives in his own little world of badassness and I envy him. Isn't that sad, I envy a four year old? But he has no cares in the world."

"He seems like a pretty cool dude. What about Kinleigh, she like her mama?" I smiled, trying to picture the two kids in my head.

"Kinleigh is my princess. She is going to be so beautiful when she gets older."

"Oh, just like her mama," I interrupted Elena. She looked at me and smiled.

"Hopefully not. I want her to be so much better."

"I don't know. You are pretty amazing, it'll be hard to beat."

Elena looked at me again, the look in her eyes made me know that I was forgiven. "Yeah well, Kinleigh is brave and not afraid to be who she is. She stands out in so many ways. Her best friend at school has aspergers. He's a year older so other kids used to make fun of him but not Kinleigh. She sat beside him at story time because nobody else would. After that the kids stopped picking on him and they've been friends ever since. Her heart is so big. Hopefully she won't get it broken too many times."

Elena went off into her own little world, probably thinking about Wyatt and Kinleigh. I watched her, as she sat in peace looking ever so lovely.

"What about their dad?" I asked. Immediately she snapped out of her trance.

"Not in the picture."

"Never?" I remembered the last couple years of my teenage life, my dad not being in my life. I hated it.

"No. He doesn't know."

I was stunned. She used to vow that her kids would have a father, because she never got one. "What? How does he not know?"

"He doesn't. He didn't want kids, he had his own life to take care of. I'm sure he has a girlfriend or married or engaged."

"Well you're very brave for doing it on your own."

"Thanks."

The tow truck showed up and Elena is out of the door before I could blink. She is talking to a man who looks to be in his mid-thirties. He is wearing baggy jeans and a heavily greased stained, ratty t-shirt. He is standing close to Elena, which makes me mad. Mad in a jealous way.

I get out of the car and listen to their conversation.

"My shift is over after this. I can take you home in my truck or we can go out?" The guy smiled. Gross.

I spring into action. I pull Elena into me by her waist. "Baby how much is it going to cost?" I asked before turning towards the driver. "She has the worst luck with cars. Good thing we drove separately so you now you have a ride home."

They both look at me stupidly. I just kiss the top of Elena's head, knowing I'd regret that later. "You have everything you need, Lane?"

"Um yeah. I just want to make sure my car gets on the truck safely," Elena says slowly.

We watch on the sidelines as Elena's car is chained to the back of the truck. We don't get back into my car until 'Bubba' the tow truck driver is driving off into the distance, on his way to repair whatever is wrong with Elena's car.

Elena is giving me directions back to her apartment while continuing talking about her kids. I love listening to her. She completely changes. She goes from the girl I used to know to the young woman that I want to know more about.

I park in her parking spot and cut in ignition. "I'll walk you up," I offer.

"Okay," Elena says in a small voice.

"I had a really nice time. Despite certain events," I say as we ascend the stairs.

"Me too. Sorry for talking the whole time. I'm sure you don't want to hear about life with kids. I know you're not a fan of them."

"No, no. I like hearing you talk about your kids. I like hearing you happy. Your kids seem amazing. I'd like to meet them sometime."

We stand outside her door marked 3a. Normally this is the part where you hug or kiss somebody good bye but I don't know what to do, so I just stand there with my hands shoved deep into my pockets, rocking on the balls of my feet.

"Well it is still early. The kids are probably just getting ready for bed. If you want to come in and meet them you can. We can have some coffee and you talk about about life outside of this God forsaken town."

I smiled. She was inviting me in. "I'd like that."

I watched as she stuck her key in the small keyhole and swung the white door wide open. "I'm home," she called. There was a certain ring in her voice that stirs something deep inside me, making me wish that I was home too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I COULDN'T WAIT UNTIL SUNDAY! How did you like that ending?! WABAAAAM!

I've always wondered what point of view do you like better? Tommy or Elena?

Who is glad the elections are finally over! I am. I hated all of the commercials.

But yeah, I want lots of comments! More comments, subscribers and recommends and maybe I'll post another chapter before Sunday then on Sunday as well. (:

Anyways, I love how this is turning out.

Love Y'all!