Scream Over The Sound

Chapter 4 - Surrealism At Its Finest

Chapter 4

“So we can just eat this with our hands?” Mike asked, looking down at the plate of rice that was placed in front of him.

“It’s tradition here but make sure those hands are clean!” I exclaimed, pulling his hands away as he tried to dig in.

“Mike’s hands are never clean,” Jaime snickered and took a sip out of his drink while Tony coughed some of his out through his nose. “So, Alex, what’s our plan for the next four days?”

I grabbed the file out of my knapsack and skimmed through it. “Sound check tonight, set up and practice tomorrow, sound check and show the day after, then free for the next two days to sight-see,” I smiled and looked back at the boys. “What do you guys wanna do?”

Vic, who was sitting across from me reached over for the file, “May I see that?” His fingers brushed against mine as he slowly slid the file out of my grip and I realised, it was the first time we’ve ever touched. I froze, his touch gentle but electrifying. But when I looked up at him he was already looking at the schedule. “I’ll go anywhere, I guess. Given you’re taking us,” Vic smiled and took the paper out of a file.

Mike smirked at Vic, his hands already covered in rice. He even got some on his elbows. “Can we get some forks and spoons please?” I called for the waiter, trying to hide my flushed face. “Mike, I’m not about to let you embarrass yourself,” and took a piece of tissue to wipe his elbow.

“Hey,” Vic spoke up and so I looked to find him grabbing some of his brother’s rice and putting it on his elbow, “Looks like I got some here too, could you…” and he, as if it were slow motion, winked at me. It was the Baywatch kind of slow motion. You get what I mean.

Tony nudged Vic in the shoulder, “Heal, heal,” he teased.

“Can you please stop flirting with her like that?” Jaime smiled.

“No!” I suddenly heard myself speak. I should really learn how to stop my mouth from running. It’s really gonna bite me in the ass some day. “I mean, uh, damn it. I can’t save myself there,” I gave up. No smooth come back this time round.

The boys all broke out in laughter but Vic stayed still, a smile growing slowly on his face. This slow motion business was distracting. “There’s no need to,” he whispered from across the table, though I don’t think the rest heard it.

My foot kicked the leg of the table in some sort of shock reflex at what he said. I literally spazzed. Oh God. What was becoming of me?

“So when you guys are done staring each other down, can we make a move? I’m excited to get my hands on my guitar,” Tony shook me from my little trance. I woke from it to realise that Mike had already finished his meal and the boys had all downed their drinks. All except Vic. His smile was still there. Ugh, kill me now.

“Okay let’s move,” I said before Vic could kill me any more.

--

“Check out this place!” Jaime exclaimed when he saw the wide spread empty stage. The concert was being held in a fairly large hall in the city with a roof that could open with just a click of a button.

“It’ll look a bit smaller when your backdrop and props are set up,” my boss, Papa said as he greeted us at the door. We only call him Papa cos he’s the big papa bear of the company. His real name is Adam. Just plain Adam. “Nice to meet you,” he smiled and shook hands with all the boys. “I’ve already met Kevin and the other boys, and so far every thing is going great. Hopefully it’ll stay this way for another two days.”

“Bet I could beat you to the stage,” Mike nudged Jaime.

“What makes you think that?”

“I’ve got longer legs. GO!” and they both dashed for the stage.

The rest of us chuckled at their game and Vic said, “And I swear on my life he’s the older brother.”

“Well, go ahead and set up. I’ll be here if you need me,” Papa reassured, tapped Tony on the shoulder and left to sit at the sound booth.

“Help me carry my guitar?” Vic asked, placing his guitar case on the floor, sort of offering it to me. “I need to get Jaime’s other bass since he’s too busy--.”

“Of course, Vic,” I took his case. “Don’t need to explain.” I caught myself smiling at him again. There’s just something about him that made me so happy. I could barely contain myself.

“Thanks,” he said and started making his way to the stage, walking backwards, still looking at me, “I’ll make it up to you.” He turned on his heels and trotted over to his band mates, leaving his words ringing in my ear over and over again like a broken record.

When I collected myself, I finally walked over to the stage.

Let the show begin.

--

The music sounded amazing. Mike was kicking into the double pedals like his aim was to cause the Earth to crack into pieces. It was overwhelming. They sounded just as they did on their albums. I sat in front of the stage, crossed legged, looking up at all four of them like a toddler in a candy shop.

But I had yet to hear Vic sing.

They put their instruments down and I turned back to Kevin to see him give them two stubby thumbs up.

“That’s it?!” I yelled out, trying to get their attention.

As they unplugged their instruments and Mike kept his drum sticks, Vic kept his guitar plugged in. He jumped off stage and walked towards me. He put both knees on the ground in front of me and strummed the opening melody for Hold On Till May.

My heart stopped. It was my favourite track on that album. The song that kind of made my shittiest day okay. The music caught me by the throat. I couldn't even smile. It was surreal. Surrealism at its finest.

His lips parted just as his vocals were about to come in. He took in a long deep, full breath and then stopped his guitar dead in its melodious tracks. “No, no, no,” he smirked. “You’ll just have to wait.” He unplugged his cord and went straight back to the stage.

“You’re driving me insane,” I called out, suddenly not so shy any more. Suddenly so comfortable.

Suddenly the thought of him being around for only another four more days sprung to my mind.

Great.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one took so long! Have been a bit busy! So glad to know all of you! Love you guys for giving me great feedback! :D