Red

Dance With Me - Nathan

Boredom smacked me across the face and I just couldn’t handle sitting in my hotel room much longer. I looked out the hotel window and saw limos down below, I tried to get a better look to see what was going on but I didn’t have the right angle. Taking a chance I put on my one and only suit and headed downstairs.

There was something big going on as there were photographers and red carpets scattered about. I weaseled my way into the main hall and immediately recognized the large pink ribbon hanging from the ceiling. This was a breast cancer awareness charity event. I’d donate to that. It’d be a sad, sad world without breasts.

I walked around and talked with people like I belonged there. It was one thing Max had taught me. Walk in like you own the place and no one will question you.

I found myself leaning against the bar watching everyone socialize around me. I felt very James Bondish just leaning there sipping on a martini. A young woman approached the bar. I couldn’t drag my eyes away from her as she was the most beautiful American girl I had ever seen. She stood out like a bright star in her red lace dress. I shyly smiled to her and couldn’t stop my stare from gliding down her body. The power of my eyesight drew her leg out from the slit in her dress. Her whole leg. Glorious, wonderful calf and thigh.

“Who do you belong to?” she asked as she waited patiently for her drink from the bartender. What kind of question was that? Was that a weird way of asking if I was single?

“I don’t belong to anyone. I’m here alone.”

“So you’re just here to support breast cancer?”

“Second base is my favorite. Every chance I get to support it, I’ll be there. So I can only assume you belong to someone?” Real smooth. Telling a gorgeous girl how much you love breasts wasn’t the best of moves if I say so myself. Luckily none of my mates are around to hear me crash and burn.

“Yes, my mother is the hostess. This is her yearly charity event. I’m actually trying my best to avoid her tonight.”

I glanced around the room to see all the women in their pink gowns floating around with their men dressed in monkey suits on their arms. Was this a charity event or a social network? I looked back at the lady in red and picked up my champagne. “I can help you hide. I’m good at it.”

I walked away and to my surprise she was actually following me. For once this worked for me. I began to leave the ballroom but she stopped me. “If you don’t mind, I just became one of Seattle’s top bachelorettes and I wouldn’t mind being photographed a bit while I’m here. Want to dance?”

Seattle’s top bachelorette? Wants to be photographed? Does she not know the trouble and drama paparazzi can bring your life? That’s what I was running away from. I couldn’t handle the stress of being under a microscope every second of my life. It only made sense to run away to a city where no one would know me. Seattle was that place. I guess a dance or two here wouldn’t be so bad. I can’t imagine any photos leaving the city.

She clearly knew what she was doing as she took charge and glided me around the dance floor like a rag doll. She knew all the points where to pause and slowly show off her legs as cameras flashed. I couldn’t stop the smile from forming on my face. She was… different. Intriguing, and I didn’t even know her name.

“Miss Eliza! Who are you dancing with!” Someone shouted out and she looked at me, cheeks flaming red.

“My name is Nathan, I’m not from these parts,” I laughed as I grabbed her hand and finally dragged her out of the ballroom.

She began giggling and looked at me through her blonde bangs. “Nathan, it’s so nice to meet you, I’m Eliza. Wanna get out of here?”

“I would love to, where would you like to go?”

“I live around the block.”

“I have a hotel room here.”

“Sounds perfect! That way if my mother calls and nags asking where I am, I’m only a short elevator ride away.”

I smiled at her and offered her my arm. She took it graciously and I led the way to the elevator. Twenty-four floors up we stepped off the lift and I opened the door to the suite I was inhibiting.

“Not bad for a young man from England,” she smiled as she twirled around the open space. She threw the curtains of the windows back and I joined her at her side. “Seattle has the best skyline in my opinion. It’s absolutely gorgeous.”

My eyes went from the skyline outside to her profile. A smile danced along her lips and I could tell deep down that she was desperately trying to hold on to something, I just couldn’t tell what that was. “Nothing quite compares the skyline of London.”

“I’ll have to go sometime then.”

“I think you should.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Seattle