Status: Work in progressssss :)

Teach Me How to Read These Broken Lines

"I think she broke him."

"Avengers' Tower, really?" Charlotte scoffed a bit as she watched Nick type in a numeric code into a pin pad. An eye scanner popped out next and it took everything she had to bite back a smart remark about the eye patch. 'At least if he murdered me I wouldn't have to be in New York anymore.. She thought bitterly.

"You better behave, Rogers. You'll be staying here for the time being."

She raised an eyebrow at the man as she followed him inside the building. "Will I now? I didn't think I was qualified to be an Avenger."

"Don't get ahead of yourself, I never said you were going to be a part of the team." The elevator closed and he pressed the button to the second highest floor in the building. "J.A.R.V.I.S. could you assemble the team in the living area?"

"Of course, Director."

The voice that filled the elevator nearly made Charlie jump out of her skin, causing a chuckle to escape Fury's throat. "J.A.R.V.I.S.?" She questioned, glancing up at the ceiling skeptically.

"J.A.R.V.I.S is a computer program Stark created, an electronic butler of sorts."

"..kinda cool." She muttered to herself. The doors to the elevator opened and Nick walked out first.

"Just stopping in for a visit Fury?" A familiar voice caught her attention and she poked her head slightly out of the door to see if she could tell who it was.

"Just came to introduce you to your temporary room mate, Charlotte," He glanced behind him and motioned for her to come forward. She sighed, slinging her bag over her shoulder and trudged forward. "Charlotte this is-"

"Clint Barton, long time no see. " Charlie interrupted, a small smile forming on her face though it disappeared almost as quickly as it appeared. "Natasha, it's lovely to see you as always." Her voice was dripping with sarcasm and she could have sworn she saw the assassin roll her eyes from the corner of her eye.

"Who are you exactly?"

Not giving her a chance to speak for herself, Fury answered Tony's question. "Her name is Charlotte Rogers. She's a former SHIELD agent and she, along with a few others, will be assisting in stopping the newest threat to Earth."

"Others?" "Threat to Earth?" "...wait...Rogers?" "Why weren't we informed of this sooner?" The Avengers questioned simultaneously, though it was Steve's question and the way he was looking at her in curiosity that caught Charlie's attention.

Anger flashed across the brunette's face as she turned to the director of SHIELD. "You didn't tell him?! Seriously? That's kind of something you tell someone in advance and not spring on them."

Fury turned quickly, staring her down with his one good eye. "Rogers. Drop it. I had-"

"Bullshit!" She fired back, causing someone (whom she later found out was Tony Stark) to let out a 'oooo'. "I shouldn't have even came back. I didn't want to see him, but he at least had a right to know."

"Am I the only one left puzzled by this?" Thor's question caused her to turn and face the Avengers.

"Sorry, I guess I should explain considering your leader won't." She let out a small sigh, looking Steve in the face for the first time. "I'm your granddaughter."

"....and the plot thickens."

Steve visually paled and it felt like the world began to spin much faster as his mind race. How could that have happened? ...well he knew how it just seemed...impossible.

"Steve?" Jess, the woman whose fingers were laced with Clint's until a few moments ago, got up from her spot on the couch to crouch down in front of the super solider. "Steve?" She waved her hand in front of his face, only to get nothing in response.

"I think she broke Capcicle."
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter two. :) I didn't mention it before but the title of this story comes from the song 'Happy Endings Are Stories That Haven't Ended Yet' by Mayday Parade. I wanna give a shoutout to SkaterGirl and Te'Amo_Alexx who also have been with me since the prequel. Thank you! :) <3 Garideth made an excellent point in the comments (---->>), which is something I hadn't thought of when I came up with the idea for this story. I found it kinda funny. xD Anyway, hope you guys enjoy. Love ya!