Our Version of Events

Just one beer

Image


Evan made me feel like who I once was. I made him laugh and he was interested in my stories and hobbies; he made me feel like I was more than just somebody’s wife, like I was more than just a vacuous human being who was only good at sitting beside her husband and looking pretty.

“Thank God it’s Friday,” I sighed as I got out of the car that morning.

“I know. Any plans for the weekend?”

“None,” I gently shook my head as I locked my car and started walking towards the school,
“Yourself?”

He silently shook his head no, before he gently grabbed my wrist and pulled my body so that I was facing him. I felt myself swallowing thickly, the warm grip of his hand sending goosebumps up and down my arms.

He should not be having this type of effect on me.

“My car’s getting out of the shop today,” he started, his brown eyes locked on my green ones, making me feel like I was hypnotised,
“And I wanna make it up to you for being my personal taxi all of this week.”

I exhaled a laugh, making him smile too, his hand still clasped around my wrist.

“Let me buy you a drink tonight.”

I inhaled slowly, my mouth forming the words that I just couldn’t say. Evan stared at me expectantly, looking at me from under thick eyelashes.

“I don’t know,” I started slowly, feeling my stomach instantly sink.

“C’mon, Avery,” he smiled, giving me a glimpse of those lethal dimples,
“One beer. Just to say thank you.”

I bit down on my lip, two conflicting voices in my head debating with one another, before I figured fuck it. The world wasn’t going to end just because I went for a friendly drink with a co-worker.

“Okay. You’ve twisted my arm,” I sighed in mock defeat,
“Do you know Eden’s Bar?”

He was quiet for a few seconds, before he nodded slowly.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure I know where it is.”

“I’ll see you there at eight?”

He grinned broadly as we stopped outside my classroom door, those fucking eyes still captivating me.

“I’ll see you there.”

I merely smiled softly and watched him walk down the corridor. While I was trying to tell myself that it was just a drink with a friend, I still couldn’t manage to justify it to myself.

++++++++++


I knew that I shouldn’t be going out with Evan for a drink. I knew all of the things that could go wrong. It had the potential to be a disastrous night; the guy didn’t even know I was married, and I knew deep down that if I had told him that I have a husband he probably wouldn’t have offered to buy me a beer.
I never wore my wedding ring, I hated wearing anything on my wrists and fingers, and I had spent a full forty minutes sitting at my vanity table staring at my wedding ring in my jewellery box, praying that Shawn would come home early and would want to have dinner with me.
Then the usual text message came in, telling me that he knew we hadn’t spent any time together in a fortnight but his job was important and he would most likely be in his office all night. I had closed over my jewellery box and slipped into a tight navy blue dress, spending a good half hour on trying to make myself look desirable.
Just because I had no money didn’t mean I couldn’t window shop.

“Avery…wow. You look amazing,” Evan took a double glance of me when I walked into the quiet bar, making my heart flutter and my stomach flip as he stood up and gave me a boyish smile.

“Oh,” I looked down at myself, almost as if I hadn’t made an effort at all,
“Thanks.”

He was wearing a pair of dark jeans and red shirt over a black tee shirt, and when he looked down as pulled out his wallet from his back pocket I allowed my eyes to do a quick sweep of his body.

Goddamn…

“Your money isn’t any good ‘round here,” he gave me a half smile when I pulled out my purse,
“I’m buying tonight, remember? What’s your poison?”

I could feel my cheeks warming slightly as I smiled back, opening my mouth to reply before I clamped it shut.

”You’re not in college anymore, Avery. Don’t drink beer, it's cheap. Order a glass of wine.”

Yeah, well, fuck you too, Shawn.

“Coors light. Please.”

“Coming right up,” Evan stood and moved over towards the bar.

What’s the harm in this? It’s just one drink, right?

I kept saying that in my mind every time I got another drink; Oh, it’s only one more beer, it’s fine. But then it was closing time and only when I stood up did I realise how intoxicated I was for just one beer.

“Oh God,” I laughed as I steadied myself.

Evan was equally as drunk as me, and laughed loudly as he slipped into his jacket.

“I didn’t notice the time go by,” he held the door open for me.

“Time flies when you’re having fun,” I smirked at him, unable to stop myself.

He laughed again, before he shoved his hands into his pockets and locked eyes with me.

“The bar closed pretty early. Would you like to come back to my place for a night cap?”

I didn’t even argue with myself, I merely nodded my head and got into a taxi with him, my voice of reason suddenly mute.

“Red wine or white wine?” Evan called over his shoulder as we entered his small apartment.

“Red, please,” I replied as I looked about the place, taking note of everything. I jumped when Evan appeared in front of me and handed me a glass of wine, and I smiled bashfully at him over the rim of the glass, feeling like a seventeen year old all over again.

“So, I presume you’re from Boston, born and raised?” Evan threw me a cocky smile as he sat down.

“Is my accent that bad?” I arched my eyebrow as I placed my glass on the coffee table and slowly walked about the room, looking at all of the painting and photographs on the walls.

I slowly exhaled a shaky breath and closed my eyes over when I felt his warm breath suddenly hot against my neck, his hands gently grasping my hips from behind.

“Your ass looks amazing in that dress.”

I swallowed convulsively, wanting this to happen so badly. I was a slave to my hormones, to my emotions and drunkenness. His lips were hot on my neck, slowly tracing butterfly kisses along my skin, his grip getting tighter when he realised that I wasn’t going to push him away. Sighing when he hit that tender spot just beneath my ear, I tilted my head to the side, giving him better access, before he spun me around and swiftly placed his lips on mine.
I instantly wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me as I eagerly welcomed his passionate kiss. It didn’t take long for our breathing to grow heavy as the kiss grew more and more heated, our hands clawing at every inch of each other. He roughly pushed me against the wall, gelling our bodies together as one hand firmly grasped my hip, the other migrating up my body and cupping my jaw as his tongue danced along mine. I cannot remember the last time I had felt this turned on, cannot tell you when I last felt this bold and exotic and sexy.
A little voice in the back of my mind was screaming that this was so wrong on so many levels, but it quickly shut up when Evan’s hand stole up under my dress and roughly grabbed my ass, a breathy moan falling off his lips. Both of his hands settled on hips once again as he blindly led us to his bedroom, never once breaking the kiss.

Was I really going to do this?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long! Things have just been pretty hectic for me lately.
So, yay or nay on the cheating?