Never Say Goodbye

Chapter Six

"Who is he?"

The words shocked Kurt to his core and made his heart sink with dread. Blaine didn't remember him.

"Blaine, it's me, Kurt," Kurt said softly, gently touching his arm. "Kurt Hummel. Remember? The boy you transferred schools for? You came to McKinley to be with me last year before I graduated... Do you remember any of that?"

Blaine just looked at him with a confused expression.

"N-No, I'm sorry," Blaine slowly shook his head. "I don't remember you... Or McKinley. No, this doesn't make sense!" He buried his head in his hands.

"We should call the Doctor," Cooper said softly, pressing the small call button on the side of the bed. "Let him know that Blaine's awake." Within seconds, a pretty, young blonde nurse came into the room.

"Hi, can you get Blaine's doctor for me, please?" Cooper said before she could ask what they needed.

"Sure," the girl smiled, nodding her head as she turned and slipped back out the door. A couple minutes later, she returned with the doctor.

"Ah, good, he's awake," Doctor Wales smiled as he walked into the room. "How are you feeling, Blaine?"

"A little sore," Blaine replied, shifting slightly in the bed.

"Doctor Wales, Blaine doesn't remember me," Kurt said, trying to control his emotions. The Doctor let out a deep sigh.

"We did discuss that this could be a possibility," he reminded the young boy. "I'll have to run some tests to see the extent of his memory loss. Blaine, what is the last thing you remember?"

"I was... I was going to the dance..." Blaine replied, his forehead scrunching slightly as he struggled to remember.

"We went to prom together twice," Kurt said softly.

"I didn't go with you," Blaine shook his head. "I don't know you. I asked Andrew to go with me... It was our Sadie Hawkins dance..."

"Blaine, that dance happened years ago..." Cooper suddenly spoke up, though he kept his voice low and soft. "Mom and dad transferred you to Dalton Academy after that night because of what happened."

"Dalton?" Blaine echoed. "What's Dalton?" Kurt felt his heart break.

"I-It's the school where we met," Kurt answered, his voice catching slightly. "On the stairwell... It was on your way to your Warblers practice."

"Warblers?" Confusion was plastered all over Blaine's face. "Like the bird?"

"It's the school's Glee club," Kurt replied, biting his lip to keep from crying. "You were the lead vocalist."

"I don't sing," Blaine snapped slightly, shocking Kurt.

"Yes, you do!" Kurt argued. "You have the most beautiful voice that I've ever-"

"I DON'T SING!" Blaine yelled, startling everyone in the room. "I CAN'T SING!"

"I think that we should step outside, give Blaine some space," Doctor Wales suggested, ushering them all towards the door.

"I'll be right back, okay?" Cooper told his younger brother, giving his hand a light squeeze before letting go. "I'll just be right outside the door, okay?" The younger boy slowly nodded, watching as they all slipped out of the room.

Once outside, Kurt let his tears roll freely down his face.

"What's going on?" Kurt sobbed. "Why is he saying that he can't sing?"

"He was teased for it in high school before he went to Dalton," Cooper explained. "People told him that singing was girly and that he sounded terrible. It wrecked his confidence and it took months at Dalton before they finally convinced him to sing again."

"Did something happen to Blaine at this Sadie Hawkins dance?" Doctor Wales asked, jotting something down on the clipboard in his hands. "Something traumatic?"

"Yes," Cooper sighed, running his fingers through his dark hair. "He got beat up pretty badly by some homophobes at the dance who didn't like the fact that he had asked a guy to go with him. It was so bad that he had to spend the night in the hospital."

"Well, that might explain it then," Doctor Wales remarked. "It appears that to deal with the shock, his mind has reverted back to that night, blocking out any and all memories from after that day."

"So he doesn't remember me, or Dalton, or McKinley, anything?" Kurt sobbed. "He doesn't remember the past two years he's had with me?" Doctor Wales slowly shook his head.

"No, I'm sorry, Kurt," he replied softly. "Like I said before, his memory could return with time. You'll just have to be patient with him for the next little while. Try showing him things that will help trigger his memories. Photographs, videos, anything you have. Take him to the different places that he's been. Reintroduce him to his friends. It will take time and a lot of patience, but doing these things could help bring his memory back quicker. Does that make sense?" Kurt nodded.

"It's going to be okay, Kurt," Doctor Wales gave him an encouraging smile. "With such a dedicated boyfriend like you, I'm sure that Blaine will have his memory back in no time!"

"Thanks," Kurt gave him a weak smile in response. "Can I have a minute alone with him?" The question was directed more so at Cooper, who nodded.

"Of course," he said softly. "I know how much he means to you."

Taking a deep breath, Kurt opened the door and slipped back into the room. Blaine looked up at him as he came in, a hopeful look on his face, though this quickly changed into one of confusion as he realized who it was.

"Where's my brother?" Blaine asked, trying to look out the door that slowly closed behind Kurt. "Where's Cooper?"

"He's just talking to the Doctor," Kurt replied, moving over to sit in the chair beside the bed. Blaine instinctively shifted away from Kurt when he sat down, which sent a shot of pain through Kurt's heart.

"Blaine," Kurt said softly, reaching out to take his hand, though Blaine quickly snatched it away, making Kurt sigh. "I know this is hard for you right now, Blaine, but, believe me, it's hard for me too. I know that you don't remember me right now, but I promise you that I'm going to help you get through this. I'm going to help you remember. I promise that I'm not going to leave you again. Screw New York. Helping you remember is my top priority right now."

"It's Kurt, right?" Blaine asked softly.

"Yes," Kurt nodded, a small, hopefully smile slipping onto his lips.

"Am I... Are you..." Blaine struggled to find the words. "Are we, umm, dating?" Kurt had to bite his lower lip to keep from bursting out in tears again.

"W-We were, I mean, we are," Kurt nodded again. "We had a little fight but we were going to work things out." Blaine closed his eyes and leaned back against his pillow. When he didn't say anything after a couple of minutes, Kurt thought that maybe he had fallen asleep.

"Why were we fighting?" Blaine asked suddenly, his eyes slowly opening and turning to look at Kurt.

"You, umm, well, you kind of..." Kurt sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair. This was not going to be easy. "You cheated on me, Blaine." He heard the younger boy inhale sharply. "I don't know the details because at the time I was too hurt and angry to hear them. I refused to take any of your calls after you left. I just couldn't bear to hear your voice. But then, when I was finally ready to forgive you, you-" Kurt cut himself off suddenly. This wasn't something that he wanted to talk about. He didn't want to relive those thoughts again. Nor did he want to aggravate Blaine with the information of what he'd done.

"What?" Blaine demanded, suddenly grabbing Kurt's hand that was still lying on the bed, wanting to hold Blaine's. "What did I do?"

"I'm sorry, I can't," Kurt replied, starting to stand up to leave, but Blaine wouldn't let him go.

"Kurt," he said, holding onto his hand tightly so that he couldn't leave. "Please. What did I do?" Kurt hurriedly wiped the tears away that had started to roll down his cheek with his free hand before turning back to Blaine and sitting down again.

"Blaine," he took a deep breath, as if to prepare himself for Blaine's reaction. "Blaine, you tried to kill yourself."

At first Blaine just looked confused, tilting his head slightly with a look of disbelief on his face. But then his brows started to knit in thought and he started to lift his free hand to his neck, which must have been tender, but he found that he couldn't bend it because if the bandages wrapped around that arm. Blaine looked at it with a confused and curious expression.

"What happened to my arm?" He asked, breaking his hold on Kurt's hand to touch the bandages. His fingers started to play around the edges, trying to find some way to see what was underneath.

"Don't, Blaine," Kurt warned. "You don't want to see that."

"Yes, I do," Blaine retorted, sending him a defiant glare. "Don't tell me what I do or don't want to see!" He started tugging at the bandages, loosing the clasps holding it in place.

"Blaine, don't do that!" Kurt cried in alarm as he slowly started to unwrap his arm. Kurt tried to reach over and grab Blaine's uninjured arm to stop him, but Blaine just kept shoving him away. "Blaine, don't! You're not ready to see that!"

And then suddenly, the arm was free. Blaine slowly turned his arm over so that the scarred skin was facing upwards. Kurt watched as Blaine read the name on his arm.

"K-Kurt?" Blaine slowly looked up at him, fear and panic lacing through his eyes. Before Kurt could even say or do anything, Blaine suddenly started screaming, releasing a sound so horrifying and bloodcurdling that it would haunt Kurt for weeks to come.