I'm So Sorry, My Angel

Six

Winter of Sophomore year;
“Holy crud it’s cold out!” I exclaimed to Will as we were walking home in the snow.
He laughed, “Do you need to where my jacket?”
I gave him a sideways look, “I’m wherein two jackets, two hats, and two gloves, and I'm cold. All you’re wherein is a hoodie and a hat.”
He shrugged and pulled me close to him, “I just don’t get cold to easily,” He smiled down at me, and I smiled up at him with my purple lips.
And then he kissed me. It was sudden, but it’s not like we haven’t kissed before hens the fact that we’ve been dating for the past four years. But Will has usually only kiss me on specal occasions.
We just stood there as the snow piled on our heads, then Will pulled away and gave me one of thoughs smiles where his whole face smiles with him, he was happy about something.
“What are you so happy about?” I asked, smiling back at him.
We started walking again, “Today’s just a great day to be alive,” he said.
Then I remembered. Today was the anniversary of the day he got a second chance. Since then Will’s cancer has fully gone away.
“What do you love most about life?” I asked.
“You.”
I couldn’t help but smile from ear to ear.
“How bought you?” He asked.
I didn’t know how to answer. To tell the truth, I had no idea. I loved Will, and Gran, and everyone else, but I just couldn’t chose witch on made me love life.
“To tell the truth, I don’t know.”
“That’s ok,” He told me, “But do you love life?”
”Of corse. What I don’t like is being cold.”

It was a quiet walk for the rest of the way to Will’s house.
“Hello Stella!!!” Mrs.Panke said hugging me.
I laughed and hugged back, “Hello Stella, are you ready for that basket ball game tomorrow?”
“Ya, Is your team ready to be beat?” Every one laughed.
“The only way your goanna win is because Will might go easy on you,” He said with sarcasm.
After a good laugh, me and Will went up stairs to study.
“So, uh, there’s a party tonight and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?”
I didn’t look up from my math, “Uh, where is it at?”
“Jo Jo’s house.”
I wiped my head up, “You know I can’t go to his house. He’s a drunk, a junkie, a…addict. Gran would never let me go.”
“I knew you would say that,” He sounded hurt.
“What’s wrong?”
“I just really want you to come with me.”
“Sorry, but I can’t. I can’t even think of the argument you and your parents had to convince them you can go to his house.”
“I didn’t. And I’m not going to. You should just come, don’t tell Gran.”
I was dumb founded. What the heck happened to Will, it wasn’t like him to talk like this.
I packed my backpack, “What are you doing?” he asked.
“I’m leaving. And I really don’t want you to go to that party. So, if you’re not going, then just meet me at my house, in the theater room.”
“Stell…”
“Will, just think about what you just said, and then you’ll know why I’m upset,” Then I kissed him on the cheek and walked out.

It was starting to be like a blizzard out, but at least when it snow’s its less cold.
“Hello Stella,” a voice said.
I looked toward the voice, “Hello, Mis. Kell,” I said to the old lady standing next to me.
“How’s your day going honey?’
“Well, you know, boys.”
She laughed, “Yes, I had my share of them. You’re still dating that William Panke boy right? He’s a good one, but boys will be boys.”
“I guess that right.”
“So how’s your Gran?”
“Oh, you know, working way to much for her age, same old Gran as when you left.”
“Yes, well you go and get home quickly, and tell your Gran I said hello.”
“Ok, goodbye Mis.Kell.”
“And don’t let that boy get to you.”
“Yes maim,” She gave me a smile and disappeared.

When I got home I kicked off my shoes and took off my wet close, “Hello, Stella baby,” Gran said from the kitchen, “I thought you were studying at William’s house.”
“Ya, I was. He might come over later to watch a couple movies. Is that ok?”
“Of corse honey.”
I walked into the kitchen, it smelled nice, “What are you making?”
“Just some stew. Are you hungry?”
I shrugged, “Not really. Oh, and Mis.Kell say’s hi.”
She stopped working and smiled, “Oh, how I miss that girl,” Then she started cutting potatoes again.

It was eleven twenty, so I desisted to make some pop corn and select a movie. I was desisted between two movies. A Walk to Remember or The Devil Inside. I desisted with A Walk To Remember because if Will was late, or wasn’t coming I didn’t want to be stuck watching Then Devil Inside alone.

I put in the movie, and waited, and waited, and waited. I started to drift off in the middle of the movie, but was awoken by Will.
I smiled, sleepily, “You came.”
“Ya. Listen I’m sorry, what I said was stupid, and I’m sorry I unsettled you. Will you forgive me?” He looked at me with thoughs beautiful pail green eyes.
“Ya, I do. Now come sit, I’ll restart the movie,” I leaned over to the opposite row to retrieve the remote.
Will sat next to me, “Don’t get to close, I think I’m coming down with a cold, I don’t want you to get sick.”
I shook my head in agreement, the last thing I needed was another sick day from school.

We sat there for hours, we watched four different movies, but Will wouldn’t let me get close to him.
“Are you ok?” I finally asked him.
“Ya. Why?”
“You just seem on edge.”
There was a noise coming from outside the theater room, “Just Gran,” I reassured Will.
Then the phone rang, “I’m sorry,” Will said.
I gave him a confused look, “Why. Cuz of the party thing, it’s ok, I forgive you.”
Gran answered the phone, “I’m sorry cuz I left you.”
“But you right hear…” Then I realized what he was talking about.
I went to got touch his hand, but the film ended and it went dark. When the lights came up, Will was gone.
I stood up and looked around, No, no, no… I repeated in my head.
Then I headed for the door and when I opened it, Gran was there, holding the phone, crying.
“Stella…”
“No, no,” I said backing away.
I slid down to the floor, and put my face in my hands.
I herd Gran say through her tears, “Thank you for calling…no she can’t come to the phone…Yes, she knows.”
She hung up the phone and knelt beside me, “He was in a car accident,” She said, “He was driving with a drunk, he died on impact.”
“He-he, was driving with a drunk driver?” I asked.
“Yes, he was coming from a party.”
I cried harder, “He was just with me. He was in the theater room with me.”
For some reason I couldn’t get it through my head that Will was a ghost, and to be a ghost, you have to be dead.