Status: On Hold

Worlds Apart

VII

Chapter Seven

“I mean, not a full mermaid, I’m only half. My father is human. But my mother is a full mermaid.” She explained. Damien felt his heart sink. Shes a syren. A women who tricks men. Damien didn’t know what to say or think.

“Mr. Swift, Cordelia has been staying in the captain quarters you may stay there as well. Mother you can have my room.”

“Damien!” Cordelia said pulling on his shirt. Phillip couldn’t help but to have noticed the way his daughter was scared over the boys feelings.

“I can’t talk to you right now. I have a ship to run, and a captain to find.” He grabbed her hands and held them. “Please, go get some sleep.” He smiled down at her a little, trying to hide the hurt that she could see. She knew that he thought this was a trick she was pulling on him.

“Cordelia.” Philip said. Cordelia looked at her father and nodded her head. Following him over to the captains quarters she took one last glimpse at him connecting their eyes before walking into the room.

“Damien, how are you going to do that?” His mother teased him. He rolled his eyes.

“You're always questioning everything I do.” Damien paused and looked at his mother as she was staring at the ocean. “Mom, we’ll find Dad.” He reassured her. Angelica’s face showed a glimpse of sadness and then flashed to her usual tough smile.

“Good, because the only one who has the right to kill him is me.” With that she turned on her heels and walked into his lodging. Shaking his head Damien walked over to Mr. Gibbs who on the helm.

“Mr. Gibbs, I’ll take over. Its going to be a quiet night. Tell the crew that tomorrow we will get our bearings.”

“Yes sir.” Mr. Gibbs said taking a swig from his canteen and walked down to the . Damien’s thoughts turned to Cordelia. How she was earlier, when life seemed simple. Well simple for him. She was a syren. A syren. His remembered one time how his father told him about the tales of Mermaids when he was younger. How they would trick men and take them down to feed off of. But Cordelia seemed always so different, then other girls he met. He just didn’t understand how what he feels is a complete trick. She did kiss him back at the inn.

“Shes not a complete one.” Damien heard a voice say behind him. Drawing his sword he swung around to come face to face with a naked looking girl with long hair. “I mean she could be. But she doesn’t want to be.” The girl was sitting on the railing. Her legs and hair all soaked. Holding his sword ready for an attack.

“Who are you?” He asked determined not to let this creature come any closer.

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to kill you. Your not my type.” She shrugged her shoulders. “As for who I am. I am a friend. Cordelia is not really a syren. I mean, again she could be, but she isn’t. That girl takes after her father when it comes to how she treats humans. Her mother was also sort of the same way. Having feelings. Or what not. I mean, I don’t really care what happens to humans. If I need to eat, its just how nature intended to do.” Damien held his sword up higher ready to strike. “Don’t worry lover boy. She marked you. The kiss of a mermaid. Since I’m her friend, I honor that. Others may not, but I do.”

“Marked?”

“You’ll find out in time young one. To find your father, the only thing you have to do is get Cordelia in the water. She’ll sense where her mother is and then she can tell you. Jack should be with Syrena.”

“How do I know I can trust you?” He asked sharply.

“You don’t really have a choice now do you?” She said smiling and falling backwards off the railing. A backwards dive perfect into the water. Damien rushed over to the side and saw the glimpse of a tail sparkle in the night.