Summer Love

dwadzieścia

One Year Later:

I sat on the plane, fiddling with my thumbs as it landed. It was about that time where I met up my old man. I was a year older and a year not so wiser. My heart was pounding against my chest as I recalled last summer. The summer that changed my entire life. I waited until the seat belt light went off. The pilot announced our safe landing and some passengers clapped. I on the other hand fisted my hands as I clutched onto my carry on bag. I threw my backpack over my shoulder and made my way off the plane. Families were laughing, business men were chatting on their cell phones, and couples were smiling while holding hands. I was the lone wolf on this trip.

I walked over to baggage claim by myself. I was preparing myself to finally see Liam in person. We had exchanged calls when we had the time. My clientele at the salon wasn't too pleased that they would have to go a week without me. I was not as excited to leave on my own. I had though. Liam kept nagging me about coming to visit. He even bought me the plane ticket. It was the only week where he was in town. Their label had decided to start on their third upcoming album, even though their tour wasn’t fully over.

I got my large luggage and rolled it over to the room where Liam waiting. I missed him a lot. He was always there for me. It felt like he was the older brother when I was actually the eldest. I never was good with advice. Liam on the other hand was like a hand book of knowledge.

I bit my lip as I went on my tip toes to try to see Liam. I heard laughing and knew exactly who it was. I would know it anywhere. It was something I missed. Something that always lifted my spirit.

“Harry,” I squealed.

I turned to see Liam and Harry’s smiling faces, “Dev,” Harry bent his knees and spread his arms.

I ran to him, dropping my luggage a yard away from the boy. I crashed into him and squeezed him tightly.

“I missed the shit out of you,” I told him as he lifted me from the floor.

“Devin,” Liam shook his head and headed towards my luggage, “you can’t just drop things like that.”

“I don’t care, Harry’s here,” I laughed as he finally put me down, “no,” I clung to him like a leech, “stay.”

Harry’s dimples popped through his cheeks, “I missed you, too,” he let his arm slide over my shoulders.”

“Liam,” I smiled, “would you be a dear and carry my luggage to the vehicle?”

“Let’s go,” Harry pulled me.

“It’s nice to see you, too,” Liam sighed.

I slid away from Harry and laced my arm around Liam’s waist. “Liam,” I pecked him on the cheek, “you are the best. I love you.”

“Love you, too, Dev,” he laughed.

I pulled Harry into the back of the car as Liam put my bags in the boot of the car. Liam sat next to me and I sat aside Harry. The driver they had took off within seconds. Thankfully the airport was too full for anyone to realize Harry and Liam. And thankfully they wore clothes that didn’t scream famous boy band member.

“So,” Liam took a breath, “ready to endure my mothers cooking?”

“She’s not a bad cook Li,” I pointed out.

“I know but, since you’ve been brought up,” he rubbed the back of his neck, “she went a bit insane over food. She has not stopped cooking in the past five days. She kept making things. It’s like a restaurant in the kitchen.”

I giggled as the driver went on his way to Liam’s. I felt my heart race. Every inch we moved I felt my heart jump. I felt my lungs crawl up my throat and get caught. I was scared to face Liam’s mother and our father. I was mostly afraid of seeing the guys. I wanted to know how things were with Zayn and Louis. Actually I knew how things were with Zayn… but Louis?

“How’s Zayn?” I croaked, “I heard he got engaged,” I tried to smile.

Liam twined his arm around my shoulder as Harry gave my hand a squeeze, “he’s fine. Don’t worry about him though. He feels like shit for doing what he did,” Liam explained.

“I know. I’m happy for them, though, really.”

“We’re here,” I heard Liam whisper.

“Okay,” I took a deep breath, “are they all here?”

“Yeah,” he got out of the car.

“Be strong, babe,” Harry held my hand.

“You really have been amazing Harry. I’m truly sorry for not talking to you all that much.”

“It’s fine,” he nudged me, making me smile, “let’s go.”

Liam got the bags from the trunk and carried them over to the front door. I took my backpack and made my way to the front of the house I spent my good days at… And my worst.

“By the way, Dev,” Harry bent to my ear, “love the new hair,” he sent me a wink as he went through the front door.

“When you’re ready, Dev,” Liam came back out after dropping my bags in my room, “no rush.”

“If I wait any longer, I’ll never do it,” I took a step into the house.

There he was. His hair combed back and graying. His beer belly jumping as he chuckled. His cheeks plump with joy and red with laughter. My father spoke to Harry as I made my way towards him.

“Dad,” I folded my hands in front of me.

“Devin, dear,” he smiled and hugged me, “it’s so great to see you. You really have changed. I can’t believe you cut your hair.”

“Yeah,” I ruffled with my shorter locks, “it’s not that dramatic is it?”

“Nah,” he chuckled, “you look great either way.”

“Thanks.”

“Honey,” my father called and disappeared into the kitchen.

I heard a commotion of pots and pans. I laughed as I remembered the first time I met her. It was the same all over again. She rushed out of the kitchen and spotted me. Her eyes lit up and jogged over to where I stood.

“Welcome back, love,” she squeezed me.

“Okay,” I gasped, “I. Can’t. Breathe.”

When she let me go I inhaled a breath. Just then a blond Irish man popped out of the kitchen. His cheeks blotted as he chewed what was in his mouth. He mumbled something I could not understand. I eyed him and he chewed faster and swallowed.

“I said, welcome back,” his brogue caught me off guard.

“Oh man,” I sighed, “I forgot how much I loved your accent.”

He laughed as he gave me a hug and went back to stuffing his face with more food.

That left two.

“I’m going to freshen up before dinner, if that’s alright?”

“Of course dear,” Karen smiled, “you know where your room is.”

I nodded. I knew very well where it was. It was across the hall. I would have to pass the kitchen entrance. I assumed that’s where Zayn and Louis were. I just really hope the two of them had worked everything out. In fact, I knew they had. Liam told me that. Once Zayn got engaged to Perrie, he said Louis felt relieved.

I bit my lip as I made my way to the room I was staying in. As I passed the kitchen entrance, I took a sneak peek of the kitchen. In my peripheral vision, I saw a dark haired man leaning against the wall, food in his hand. I also saw a medium brown colored hair male. It was Louis. His hair was swept up and his blue eyes were vibrant, even if it was just a glimpse.

Once I finally made my way to my room, I locked the door. My heart had stopped when I passed the two men in the kitchen. Finally it just kick started and I felt it very difficult to breath. I tried to calm myself down as I gathered my thoughts. I had to put on a brave face. Two guys I cared deeply for are just a few feet away from where I stand. It’s quite nerve wrecking at the moment. I’m not sure what they’ll say.

Another deep breath and I removed my backpack and left it on the bed. My luggage was already settled next to the dresser and my carry on was next to it. I eyed the bags. Perhaps I over packed? Or maybe I didn’t pack enough. Either way, there’s never anything to wear when you want to look your best in front of your ex and… what was Louis again? Friend… but so much more.

“Devin, love,” Karen knocked on the door, “supper is ready. Come and join us.”

“Okay,” I gave my response flatly.

“Everyone is waiting on you dear,” she said and I hear her foot steps as she walked away from the door.

My mother still had to come and visit the place. Of course why would she when Geoff was here. He’s the one that didn’t want anything to do with me or my mother. Over time, he’s grown to care for me, like a real father should. Perhaps my mother could use a vacation from real life.

I finally stood, mentally preparing myself. I was about to see Zayn and Louis for the first time in a year, in the flesh. Face to face contact. I could literally feel them. I could touch their skin. I can hear their voice in real time. I could watch their eyes drift from my own face.

“Hey guys,” I waved as I took my seat next to Liam and Harry.

“I still can not believe you made all this mum,” Liam shook his head smiling.

“Oh hush now,” she swatted at the air, “it was all for the welcoming of Devin over here. It’s not every day we get to see her. Oh dear,” she sighed, “it’s been a year. Time flies by so quickly and….”

I stopped listening to Karen and focused in on the dark skinned male that sat across from me. His eyes bore into my own. They looked hurt or pained, possibly both. I wasn't sure what to make of them. The deep brown of them seemed to shimmer under his lashes.

I tried to gather my speeding thoughts. Now that it was time to come face to face with the two boys who filled me with happiness once, I was torn. They both broke me, too. I was kind of at a crossroads. Zayn was engaged to Perrie. I’m just glad that their relationship lasted. If I had heard that they broke up, I would have been even more hurt. But they truly did make an adorable couple.

My eyes drifted up to the dark skinned boy, “so,” I smiled, “Zayn. How’s the engagement with Perrie? I hope I’m invited to the wedding,” I giggled slightly.

His eyes were wide with surprise, “Um,” he cleared his throat, “yeah. Everything is going really well.”

“That’s god to hear,” I took a sip of my water.

“Devin,” I heard Karen call me, so I let my eyes land on her, “how are you? Anyone new in your life?”

“Oh no,” I shook my head, laughing, “I’m way too busy. Too many people to beautify. You know,” I smiled.

“Oh yes,” she sighed, “I think I’m due for a trim,” she ruffled her locks.

“You got a haircut a week ago,” Liam pointed out.

“I know, but I would be honored if Devin cut my hair.”

“I could do more than just that. Of course I’ve always imagined red on you,” I giggled.

“Oh dear, no.”

“Not bright red, but something subtle.”

Karen just laughed as she continued to eat the contents that was on her plate. Then that was the conversation. Everyone was silent. All I heard was forks and knifes hit the ceramic of the plates. I was afraid to look up, so I just listened.

______________________________


“Anyone want dessert?” Karen announced, coming back from the kitchen, “I have a few things to choose from.”

I sat back in my chair, hand on the food baby I had in my stomach, “not for me. I’m going to explode soon. I’m sure Niall will consume most of it.”

“No I won’t,” he scoffed, “but I’ll have a piece of that pie you made,” he said, “and you said you made cake, right? I’ll have a slice of that, too.”

“Niall,” I looked over at him, “do you eat anywhere else aside from here?”

“Yeah, Nandos, why?”

“Because,” I articulated, “if you recall when I was last here, you always something in your mouth.”

“I like food.”

“I know,” I laughed.

“Well,” Karen clapped her hands, “dessert is served.”

Niall and a few of the other boys dug in, I watched as they continued to scarf down food into their stomachs. My eyes were wide with fascination.

I could tell that Zayn felt more comfortable with my presence. His shoulders that were once raised with nerves, seemed to lower with ease. I guess seeing my face told him that I was okay. He saw the state I was in and eased his tension that had been easily visible.

My eyes refused to meet Louis’. I was forcing myself not to look at him. Louis. I played with the hem of my shirt. Louis. I began to bite my bottom lip. Louis. I furrowed my brows. Louis!

“Can we talk,” I heard a raspy voice.

My eyes flickered over to Harry, “sure.”

I followed him to the hall, where no one was around. Niall, Zayn, and Geoff were still eating dessert. Liam and Karen were chatting in the living area. Louis? Where was he?

“I have to ask you something.”

Oh no.

I felt my palms begin to clam up, “Louis wants to talk to you.”

I gulped, “okay,” my voice cracked.

“Devin,” he held my hand, “you guys need to talk. I wish you never left like that. Louis is my best mate.”

“Are you sure you guys aren’t gay for each other?” I cracked a joke to make myself feel better.

Harry smirked, “no,” he gave my hand a squeeze, “Louis is still the same Louis. He’s obnoxious and caring.”

“Now? He want to talk now? Here?”

“Yeah,” Harry nodded.

“Where is he?”

“He’s in the back. He’s nervous. Really nervous. He asked me to convince you to go talk to him.”

I nodded slowly, “Okay,” I looked up at him, “you don’t have to convince me too long. I know we need to talk.”

“Go ahead,” Harry nudged me.

As I made my way to the back yard, I felt my heart race I clenched my hands together as I took small steps to the boy that I had fallen for several summer ago. I could see Louis pace in the back. His shadow was being reflected from the light that sprung on as the moon invaded the sky.

“Louis,” my voice felt small as I waited like a little girl, waiting for her punishment.

Louis swirled around quickly. Even though I hadn’t made any rapid movements, I felt the head rush by just looking at him. Or perhaps is was my nerves getting the best of me.

“Devin,” his lip quirked up for a moment.

“Harry is terrible at convincing people. I think I should let you know that.”

“You and Harry seem to have a special bond.”

I felt a blush creep up my cheeks as a smile invaded my lips, “he’s a good friend, yes. He’s like a brother to me.”

“Of course.”

“So,” I folded my arms across my chest, “we have much to discuss.”

“Yeah, we do. How about we take a seat?”

I nodded as I flt a chill run up my spine, making me shiver in the shear cold of the air. I sat at one of the patio chairs set around a square, glass table. I watched as Louis removed his jacket and placed it over my shoulders. My smile was sincere. He sat across from me. I wrapped the jacket close to me.

Louis cleared his throat, “I’m sorry.”

I eyed him for a moment, taking all of him in for once. My eyes wanted to roam every inch of him. His arms were littered with tattoos now. His hair was darker and cut differently. His cheeks were rosy from the chilled weather.

“For what?”

He clasped his hands in front of him, eyes on them, “I’m sorry for,” he looked up at me, “being angry at you. I’m sorry that I yelled at you. I’m sorry that I got mad at you for having… sex,” he cringed, “with Zayn. It just hurt me.”

“And you don’t think it hurt me knowing that you and Eleanor were together. That you guys were having sexual encounters? I knew you were.”

Louis sighed, “I know. It’s not any different. But if it’s any conciliation,” he shrugged, “I haven’t had sex since the day I saw you last year.”

“Are you serious?” I blurted out, “even I’m not that crazy.”

“What?” his eyes nearly popped out.

I laughed, “I’m kidding,” I saw him ease a little, “I’m serious. I’m seriously kidding. I don’t even have time for that anymore.”

“Fuck,” he sat back in his seat.

What will this come of? Should I chance it? Was it worth the risk of possibly losing a friend, or group of friends, and go out with Louis? As much as I wanted to jump his bones right this second and have my way with him, I stood my ground.

“Devin,” I looked back at him, “how have you been?”

I shook my head, smiling, “I’ve been busy, thankfully. When I don’t work, I have to take care of my little sister. Or I have to run over to a clients house for an emergency or something. But all in all, I've been good. Nothing to complain about,” I rolled my eyes, “aside from not having sex, everything is great.”

Louis laughed, “I hear ya.”

“So where does this leave us?”

“I don’t know.”

“I’m sorry Louis. It’s hard to be around Zayn.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s seen me naked and it freaks me out.”

“What, why?” he chuckled.

“I don’t know. It’s just weird.”

“Can we just forget that ever happened?”

“I don’t know. It could be used to my advantage.”

“Shit,” Louis cursed, “now you’re going to compare him to other people you do it with, huh?”

I clicked my tongue, “maybe.”

“Devin, you are a lunatic.”

“Yep,” I laughed.

Seconds ticked by as the two of us sat silently, yet comfortably across from one another. My thoughts were more organized at this time. They weren’t on fire like when I landed in England.

“Louis,” I looked up at him from under my eyelashes, “if it’s not too much,” he hummed his curiosity, “can I have a hug?”

He smirked as he got up from where he sat and I followed suit. Louis held out his arms for me. I slid my arms around him and held onto him. The warmth of his touch dulled the slight ache I had grown accustomed to in my heart.

“Devin,” Louis muffled in my ear, “I still love you.”

I pulled back from him marginally. I stared into his orbs and felt the meaning in the words he said. They were true. Every bit was fact. Louis still has feelings for me. I do as well. But I was too afraid to say those fragile words so blatantly.

“I,” I felt my throat swell with emotions, “I have feelings for you, too.”

Louis pulled back fully, “yeah?” his hands were now shoved in his pockets.

I felt the water works coming now. My girl instincts are kicking into over drive and I began to cry. I didn’t want to cry. More so, I hoped it didn’t come to that point.

“No,” Louis wrapped his arms around me, shushing my sobs.

“I care for you Louis. I’m just afraid to say anything more than that. I- I just wan- want to give this a try. Louis, p-please. I hope yo-you could forgive me for even attempting to get over you w-with yo-your band mate an-and friend,” I calmed myself, “it was a shit move and I’m a shitty person for doing that to you.”

“Sh,” he stroked my hair, “you’re not a shitty person. I forgive you, if you can forgive me.”

“Oh God, yes,” I nodded, “I forgive you.”

“I forgive you, too,” he pressed his cheek to mine.

Louis grazed his lips on my flushed cheek. He pecked it. They then found their way to my lips. I eyed his rosy lips, then let them drift to his blue orbs. I stood still, until his lips were on mine now. The kiss was tender and emotional. It was the first time we kissed ever since the summer of ‘09.

I felt a noise erupt from my vocal cords as he ended the kiss. It sounded like a whimper. Like I didn’t want him to finish so soon. His lips felt perfect against mine. Like they were meant to bind with one another.

“I,” my eyes stole his, “I love you.”

Louis lifted me up off the ground and spun me as his lips found their new home… on mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Devin's Return

Oh God. No! It's the end guys! This is the final chapter in my novelette. I hope you all enjoyed it. I certainly had a hoot writing it. This last chapter was quite lengthy. Please continue to be awesome guys! Thanks again, guys!

Please proceed to posting a comment in the comment section! Let me know if this was a shit ending. Lol! Love you readers!

X Dani