Summer Love

trzy

It was awkward to face Louis like that. I wish it had gone a bit more smoothly, but it hadn’t. As soon as he saw me, I jetted from the couch. I ran out of the room and into the nearest door in the hall just a few feet away. I closed the door behind me and hit my back against it. I slid down and started the tears that burned my eyes. I didn’t want to show how emotional I could get in front of everyone. I couldn’t even believe he was there. I never knew I had a step-brother. I never knew he was in the same band as Louis. I was at a loss for words.

I sniffled a few last tears away and washed my face of any make-up I had left. I took a deep breath before going back to face everyone. To my surprise they were gone. My dad, my step-mother, and Liam were still there though.

“Hey,” I heard Karen say in a soothing voice, “are you alright, dear?” she walked over to me as I shoved my hands in my pant pockets.

“I’m okay,” I whispered.

“My step-sister is American?” I heard Liam blurt out.

“Yes, now hush,” Karen waved her hand at her son. Liam held up his hands in defeat and sat down next to Geoff. He made his hands into fists and put his chin on them, looking bored.

“It’s just that,” I bit my lip, “I knew Louis before he was famous.”

“Oh,” Karen ushered me to the couch again, “how do you know him?”

I looked up at my father and step-brother. Liam looked as if he was actually interested in the story I was about to tell, “well,” I began while wringing my hands together, “it all started in the summer of 2009,” I explained.

I told them as much as I could. I told them he was my best friend that year. I told them I used to hang out with him everyday. I told them that he was my crush that summer. I told them that that was the last time I was ever in contact with him. It was when we both agreed to not call each other. I explained that we promised to not follow each other and if we did meet again, it was fate. There was a lot I left out, but no one had to hear about that. It was personal.

“Wow,” Liam finally sat back in the couch, placing both hands behind his head, “Louis never mentioned you.”

“Yeah,” I rolled my eyes, and fell back into the couch. My back hit the cushion as I sighed, “we promised not to talk about it to anyone.”

“Why not?” Karen turned to face me.

“Because,” I looked up at the ceiling, “we knew it would never last,” I closed my green orbs, “and if we ever saw each other again that it meant something.”

“Like destiny is trying to push the two of you together?” Karen sighed in a gushing hopeless romantic manner.

I looked over at her, “I guess.”

“Oh, that is just so romantic,” Karen squealed, “don’t you think so Geoff?”

“Yeah,” my father simply nodded at his wife.

“I think it’s a load of bullshit,” Liam blurted out.

“It could be,” I shrugged, “but it doesn’t matter anymore. That was a long time ago,” I faked a smile.

“Just so you know,” Liam stared directly at me, my green eyes meeting his brown ones, “he has a girlfriend already,” he got up from the opposite couch he sat in, “and she’s quite lovely.”

“I never said that I would do anything,” I shot at him, turning to look at him as he walked into the hall, “I never even knew you were my step-brother and in the same band as him.”

“Whatever,” he muttered, closing a door.

I sighed and got up from the couch, “maybe I shouldn’t have come,” I ran a hand through my hair.

I walked over to my suitcase, pulling out a clean pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I went back to the bathroom I was crying in previously and changed into something more comfortable. I brushed my hair and looped a belt around my hips. I went back out and took out a pair of flats. I went to grab my phone to ring my mother, when I realized what time it was there. It was almost five in the afternoon here and back home my mother should still be at work.

“Devin,” I heard Karen from behind me. I turned to look at her, “you don't have to leave.”

“Yeah,” I crossed my arms over my chest, “it doesn't seem like Liam likes the fact I'm here.”

“Oh, hush, now,” she threw her hand out and swatted once at the air, “he’ll warm up to you in no time. He’s just being protective of his friend.”

I blew a piece of hair that fell into my eyes, “I guess.”

Karen walked towards me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, “how about you help me out finishing dinner. Would you like that?” her smile was sweet.

“Sure,” I tried to turn the corners of my lips into a smirk.

Karen led me into the kitchen. I took in all the various pots and vegetables scattered around the counter. I widened my eyes. It was never this full, even when I stayed here several summers ago. My mother and I never really cooked in the kitchen. We would usually go out or order take-out.

“What’s wrong?” Karen twisted her face in concern.

“Nothing,” I let out a quick laugh, “It just looks like the kitchen exploded.”

“Oh, dear,” she pressed her palm to her cheek, blushing, “I’m so sorry. I just didn’t know what to cook. I don’t know what you like and Geoff wasn’t of any help.”

“Yeah,” I looked into a pot on the stove, and stirred it to see what it was, “he wouldn’t be,” I put the lid back on.

“I’m so sorry,” she apologized, “if I had known, I would have beaten him up earlier.”

“It’s not like it’s your fault,” I shrugged.

“I know, love,” she hugged me tightly, “but if you were my own,” she sniffled, “I would have beaten myself up,” she looked down at me.

I laughed, “It’s perfectly okay,” I hugged her back quickly, “I survived just fine.”

“Devin,” she let go of me, “you know you have a home here, now,” she reassured me, “you are always welcome to stay,” she nodded, “even if Liam is being pissy about it.”

I let out a real laugh this time, “of course, Karen,” I smiled.

“You know you could call me mum, right,” she placed her hands on her hips.

I bit my lip, “I know, but,” I went back to the pot on the stove, “I feel like I would be cheating on my mom back in America,” I looked back at Karen, “my biological mom, you know?”

“Of course, love,” she cocked her head in a nod, “which reminds me,” her shoulders rose, “I would love to meet her one day.”

“Oh, wow,” my eyebrows shot up in shock, “I, uh,” they then scrunched into confusion, “don’t know how that would go down.”

“Well,” Karen went to taste the concoction she was making in the large pot, “it’s not her fault either, so, I believe it’ll be fine.”

“I guess,” I blinked.

“You say that a lot, I guess, I guess,” she mocked, “I guess,” she laughed, “would you be so kind as to chop a few carrots for this stew.”

I nodded and did as she said and started chopping little orange circles.

[br]
Louis’ eyes were on me as I tried to mimic the dance he taught me. A smirk was spreading across his lips as my attempts were horrible. I was getting frustrated when a laugh would escape his lips. I tried one more time and fell on my butt.

“Louis,” I cried out, “stop!”

“Devin, love,” he got up from the porch stairs, “you need to step left, then right,” he held in his laughter, “you aren’t a fast learner, are you?”

I crossed my arms over my chest childishly, “no,” I shook my head.

Louis helped me up from the concrete path that led to his house, “Devin,” he spoke, “I think you are too adorable,” he smiled at me as he pulled me up.

His hands were still enclosing mine. I looked at him, blankly, not knowing what he was going to do. He would always do this to me. Every time he got the chance to touch me, he would make me melt inside. Torturing my heart over and over again.

“Louis,” my voice was lost in a whisper of wind that passed by.

Louis’ eyes darted to mine. His face got closer to me. His palm was pressed into the small of my back. His hand pulled my body toward his.

Louis wasn't the best looking guy I've meet, but his eyes showed me the real him. He was funny and kind hearted. He was a good guy and I saw that in his eyes. It was his personality I fell for first.

Time slowed down. It felt like hours, or days had passed by. In reality only five minutes flew by while I was in my trance. I felt his breath brush on my cheek as he came closer. The heat he produced now surrounded me. His lips were only an inch from mine now. I couldn't take it anymore. I wrapped my arms around his neck and locked our lips instantly. The kiss was amazing. It was better then the first time. This time it felt real. It felt more passionate, more meaningful.

“Devin,” his voice was a gasp, “I think, “his eyes scanned mine, “I think, I love you.”

My heart swelled and I just about died, “I love you, too,” I jumped on him, wrapping my legs around his waist. I then kissed him once more, not wanting this day to end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Devin's Outfit

It took a bit longer this time and I'm sorry. I hope I get more readers on this one. It's always the stories I'm proud of that barely get noticed. Oh well. I love writing this one!
Comment, Recommend, and/or Subscribe! Thanks!

- Dani