Summer Love

cztery

I sat at the dinner table, waiting for the boys to join us. Four bowls of stew were placed in front of four chairs. Karen sat at the head of the table. Across from her was supposed to be Geoff. Across from me was where Liam usually sat. Karen had tried to get the boys to the table, but a grunt was her only response. On the fourth try, Geoff decided to detach his eyes from the television screen. He joined the table and started to eat.

“Geoff,” Karen shouted in surprise, “stop. Wait until everyone is at the table.”

My father then looked at me. My arms were crossed over my chest and my feet were flat on the wooden flooring of he dinning area. I looked at him and gave him a half-hearted smile.

“How are Dev?” he asked after wiping his mouth of any remnants of food.

I blew out a sigh that made my bang fly in the air, “I don’t know. Fine, I guess.”

“There you go again,” Karen laughed. Her hands were placed behind Liam’s back. She had pushed him to the table for supper, “you really have to stop using that word,” she let go of Liam until he stood next to his usual spot at the table.

“I’m sorry,” I straightened up as Karen went to sit at her seat.

“It’s quite alright, love,” she smiled, “I hope you all enjoy the stew. I’m not sure what I put in it, but it’s edible. If you don’t like it, just pick anything else we made.”

“We?” one of Liam’s thick eyebrows rose.

“Yes,” Karen glanced at her son, “Devin helped me cook.”

“Great,” Liam rolled his eyes dramatically, “now we’re all going to die of food poisoning.”

“I’m not a bad cook,” I defended myself in a flat tone.

“I never said that,” he shook his head.

“Well,” I furrowed my brows, “it was implied.”

Liam just scoffed at me as he dug into his food. Karen was already sipping at the warm stew, while Geoff devoured it as fast he good. Liam tasted the stew from the bowl, no utensils in hand. His face distorted in distaste. So he decided to fill his plate with chicken, mixed vegetables, and mashed potatoes. He shoved the stew aside and ate from his plate.

“Why doesn’t Liam have a spoon?” my question popped out of m mouth before I could reframe.

Karen and Geoff both stared at me. Liam more so glared at me, in a manner that was supposed to scare me. It didn’t faze me in the least.

“It’s nice to see that you didn’t inherit a hatred of spoons,” Karen cackled.

“Afraid of spoons?” I asked confused.

“Yeah,” Liam snapped lightly at me, “I have for quite some time,” he let his fork slide from his hand to the table.

“Sorry for asking,” my eyes widened in response to his attitude then went back to normal.

“So,” Karen interjected, “are you afraid of anything, Dev?” she asked enthusiastically.

I thought that for a bit. There was a lot of things I was terrified of, but never told anyone of these fears. My mother didn’t even know all of them. I was afraid of all sorts of bugs. I wasn’t fond of the extreme dark. I didn’t like certain words. I loathed hypocrites and fake people. But there was one thing that topped anything and that one thing was, love. Love was my worst enemy. It never liked to stay for long. And the pain was even worse. Every break up cut deeper than the last.

“Devin,” I heard my father call me as his hand flicked in my face, “are you okay?”

“Yeah,” I stared up at everyone.

“So, are you afraid of anything?” Liam smirked at me devilishly.

“Yes,” I nodded.

“And what would that be,” he had his arms on the dinner table. One was placed on top of the other. His eyes were looking right at me. A cocky smirk displayed across his lips.

I bit my lip, “love.”

Karen sighed as she started to rub my arm. I saw in her face that he understood. Love was a bitch. It felt amazing, but it was hard to maintain.

“I hear you, babe,” Karen nodded, “it is very scary.”

I smiled up at her and continued nibbling on the food in front of me. I could feel Liam’s eyes on me every so often, but didn’t mention it. I didn’t want him to hate me or have any negative feelings towards me. I was his sister. We should be bonding. We should be getting to know each other and have similar interests. I had another thing to work on this summer. I had to make Liam stop hating me.

Soon enough dinner was over and the entire gang watch an hour of television before heading off to bed. I fiddled with my thumbs as Geoff yawned over to his room. My eyes were focused on the comedy channel they had on. I found it hard to laugh at British humor, so I just stayed quiet while everyone else conversed.

“Devin,” I heard Karen take me out of my trance. I looked up at her, “come with me. I’ll show you to your room,” a smile was placed upon her lips.

“Okay,” I flicked my hair over my shoulders as I got my luggage and dragged it to the room not too far.

“Here,” she flipped the switch and a sea foam green color flooded the room, “we didn’t do much with it. New color and a new comforter is all.”

I gave her a smile, “it’s fine. There’s a bed. That’s all I really need,” I shoved my suitcase against the wall opposite of the bed.

“I’ll see you in the morning. Maybe I can get Liam to take you to the studio,” Karen gave me a hug.

“Okay,” I rubbed the back of my neck, “I hadn't really planned out what to do, so that would be nice,” I looked away from her deep brown eyes, “but,” I forced out, “I don’t think Liam is that fond of me.”

“Oh hush, dear,” she laughed softly, “he’ll warm up to you. You are his step-sister after all.”

“I understand that, but,” I went over to sit on the plush beige bed, “I also know where he’s coming from. I wouldn't really like it if a stranger came into my life to rip my family apart.”

Karen sighed and sat next to me, “but you aren't doing that.”

He doesn't know that. I’m new and he thinks I’m trying to ruin his life,” I bit my lip again.

“Devin, darling, “her smile was bright with enlightenment, “don’t you worry. You are family. Liam just needs to get used to that.”

With that, she got up from the bed. After a quick hug, she left to her own room.

Sighing for the hundredth time, I got ready for bed. My jet lag wasn’t as bad as my emotions were. They were more askew than ever. I was going to the studio and have to deal with the other boys of one direction. That is, if Liam would allow it.

I walked over to my suitcase and found the same piece of jewelry that let me keep hope for the passed couple of years.


“Devin, Devin!” a loud male voice broke me from my thoughts.

I looked around until my eyes met Louis’. By time he made in front of me, he was panting.

“Louis,” my eyes were wide with worry and confusion.

“I,” he took a breath, “got,” his hands were on his knees by now, “you some,” he paused, “something.”

I looked at him with weary eyes, “what did you get, Lou?”

“I got,” he let out a breath, “I got you this,” he held out his hands. A small box was nestled in his palms.

I felt my heart falter. I didn’t know what to do with it. I didn’t know if I should even take it.

“Devin,” Louis brought me back from the place inside my head.

“What?” I could hear my voice whisper dryly.

“Here,” he shoved the box in my hands.

“Louis,” I didn’t know what to say, “I,” but nothing came to mind.

“Devin,” he laughed, “I’m not asking you to marry me. It’s just a ring that means you were my summer romance. Well, my first one. I've never felt this way about anyone actually,” he laughed nervously.

“So,” I felt my smile get smug, “I’m your first.”

I looked at the small black velvet box. I lifted the top to reveal a golden ring with a heart on it. The heart was encrusted with diamonds. It was beautiful and I loved it.

“Louis!” I jumped on him, “I’ll cherish it!”

“Good,” with that we kissed quickly and innocently.


I slipped on my slippers and went back to the kitchen. I tried going to bed, but I couldn't. Laying in bed didn’t help either. About three hours passed until I couldn't take it any longer.

I readied myself a pot of water to boil and set a mug at the small kitchen table. I found an assortment of tea's and decided to go with earl grey. A tea I was familiar with. One I've had many times back home. The water was ready by time I put two sugars in my mug.

With my freshly made tea, I sat at the small table. The heart ring was in the middle of the table and I just stared at it. My heart was telling me to try my hardest to get him back, but my head told me otherwise. He did have a girlfriend now, or so I've been told.

“What are you doing,” I heard the same male voice of my new step-brother to my left. He came over and sat across from me. His face showed a look of confusion and irritation.

“Reminiscing,” was my simple answer.

His eyes were now focused on the dainty ring at the center of the table. Now he looked curious and I knew that I would have to tell him of my adventurous times in the summer of 2009.
♠ ♠ ♠
Devin's Pajama's

I am so sorry about not updating sooner. I barely have time or energy these days.
Comment, Subscribe, and Recommend!

X Dani